2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bristleworm control?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline aquavista99

Re: Bristleworm control?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 21:23:44 »
Is that an Aqua c skimmer? if so do you like it? I am thinking of running a 240 on my new tank. not sure yet

Yes, it is an Aqua C EV 240 with an Iwaki MD40RLT pump. I love it and highly recommend it. I will be using this same skimmer for my 180g upgrade. I have an AquaC EV 180 with a Mag 7 on another tank. If you purchase an AquaC, go with an external pump, like Iwaki for maxium performance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 21:29:50 by aquavista99 »

Offline aquavista99

Re: Bristleworm control?
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 00:15:23 »
 Facts about Bristleworms per Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman

Bristleworms are primarily beneficial detritus eaters, but larger specimens of a few genera may be carnivorous (and would need to be removed). Bristleworms are also highly reproductive, are regenerative and may reach high densities in the aquarium. This is not necessarily problematic because their larvae provide an important food source for corals and other filter-feeding invertebrates.

Smaller bristleworm specimens can be controlled biologically. The Red Sea dottyback fishes seem fond of the smaller worms [see the author's book on page 396 for a complete list of other fish that feed on bristleworms as well].  

No reef is ever likely to be completely free of bristleworms, nor are they usually harmful to corals.