2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wave controllers  (Read 990 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Wave controllers
« on: February 11, 2009, 18:54:16 »
i know they have a controllers for the top name brand powerheads, but do they make a wave controller for modded MJs or regular Korillas?

The reason i ask is, I was bored on the flight out to LAX and i drew up a circuit that should be albe to do it for less than $5. It would tunable so the on-off oscilations could be matched to the tanks harmonic freq.  I seem simple enough that some company should already sell these, i have just never seen them.

BTW, it should allow a wavebox to be made with 2 cheap powerheads.  So a DIY wavebox for under $50....
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Wave controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 18:59:16 »
There are a few wavemakers out there...one that takes only the maxijets.

The problem isn't trying to find a wavemaker...the problem is trying to find a powerhead that can handle hard starts or a wavemaker with soft starts...within a reasonable price range.  The maxijet wavemaker has hard starts, and the maxijets on average only last a year on it.  If you're willing to drop that sort of money yearly, then no big deal.

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 19:04:41 »
I don't think it will work well with a AC motor.  All of the controllable powerheads are DC.  I'd think someone would have come out with an AC controller long ago if it was viable.  I think the motor gets too hot and locks up (or something like that)   There is also the startup rattle of an AC motor that would drive you crazy.  Most AC controllers turn a pump on for 5-15 minutes and then turns another one on when that one stops.  You'll make millions if you can get one to oscilate to a wave.  My Tunze's need a .3 second and .5 second on/off to create a wave in a four foot tank.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 19:16:32 »
I was doing it as a full power and around 1/4 power cycle (so you didnt have to deal with startup from a full off.)  However I can throw a Micro-controller on there and a zero cross circuit to give smooth cycling.  I think the main problem with most are the simple on-off-on design.  If you turn it completly off i know my Modded MJs have to be pulled to the surface to start again,  However if you just lower the power substantually you dont have that problem and the rotating wave flux field is never killed so it will no reverse direction like on-off

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 20:13:55 »
You build it.  I'll help you market it.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 20:21:45 »
really, no company makes these?  I havent built it yet, so i can't brag, but its not rocket science.  Even if you wanted to get crazy and make a cheap var freq drive for AC speed controll, MJ900s are only 8 watts.

Lost Floridian

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 22:42:02 »
really, no company makes these?  I havent built it yet, so i can't brag, but its not rocket science. 

Rocket science I can do..   but those little electrons make me all confusd  ??? ???

Give it a try,  you've got a 4 day weekend coming up (hint)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 22:45:51 »
I dont know if i have a 555 timer... i hate ordering 50cent parts and paying $10 in shipping lol.  you see that call for AFIT applications today?  I am thinking about applying for the the Radar/Stealth EE masters program, but im afraid its way more Electromagnetics than i want.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:12:42 »
Lots of company's make wave makers / pump controllers but as Nikki has stated, most power heads are damaged by them. I use the tsunami wave maker with maxi jets and have had great success with this combo. For what it is, it is one of the nicer models with a feed cycle and a photo eye to turn off the pumps at night. It is an on off type controller though, it can't run pump at % cycles like the the better, more expensive controller / pump combination. For a cheepie wave maker / power head combo, it's pretty decent.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 08:09:30 »
WOW $125... I guess the NRE (non reoccuring Engineering) effort at a bigger company really jacks things up.  I'll have to play with the idea this weekend.