2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Meet n Greet Post & New Tank Setup  (Read 6347 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Meet n Greet Post & New Tank Setup
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 17:13:59 »
Not sure how I missed this thread. Love the stand! I would go for option 2. You can install the sump and drill the tank and install overflow. Then when ready do the transfer in a couple hours. If you need to borrow some brute trash cans I have two on wheels that may help with the transfer.

Offline Straasha

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 18:42:28 »
Lazy, I think that is the approach I may take.  It will be a pain in the short term but overall happier in the long term.  Any suggestions for a favorite overflow? and Sump?  I don't have a lot of room the tank stand.  The back is open so plumbing will be easy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 20:55:01 »
My favorite overflow is the eshopps eclipse. But dang the prices have gone up quite a bit. They medium were originally $89 which was an incredible value for the quality. As far as sumps I have only ever built my own using $1 gallon sale tanks with acrylic baffles. There are a lot of nice sumps out there prebuilt if you don’t mind spending the funds. Otherwise building your own is most economical.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-eclipse-overflow-kit-1.html

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 08:07:10 »
My favorite overflow is the eshopps eclipse. But dang the prices have gone up quite a bit. They medium were originally $89 which was an incredible value for the quality. As far as sumps I have only ever built my own using $1 gallon sale tanks with acrylic baffles. There are a lot of nice sumps out there prebuilt if you don’t mind spending the funds. Otherwise building your own is most economical.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-eclipse-overflow-kit-1.html
Agreed Brian. It’s the Eshopps brand that has skyrocketed. Marine Depot has an exact replica of the eshopps medium but it’s only $88. I’ve bought 2 of them in the last 6 months. Comes with a template and hole saw bit too. You can’t beat it.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:56 »
Life is hard.  :(  After taking measurements inside my stand, I only have about 12x18x12 to work with.  Additionally, it would be really cramped.  I think I would be trading one problem for another.  Thanks everyone for the advice.  Reefing is an adventure not a destination, right????  Just like dbowman, this will be my learning tank and eventually upgrade to a dream tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:33 »
That is a nice alternative with a much better price Jesse.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 08:10:36 »
OK Team, I feel like I am acting like my wife trying to pick something to watch on Netflix.  I changed my mind again and bought a new 55 gallon tank last night.   Thanks everyone on the suggestions for overflows.  Few question.  When I calculate the water volume inside the tank minus rock/sand.  I get about 40ish gallons of water.  Many of your overflow suggestions are for the medium sized overflows which flow 600-800 GPH.  I would think the small that flow around 400 GPH is sufficient to allow somewhere between a 5x-10x sump turnover.  This would require the small sized overflow.  Am I missing something (which I have many times)? 

Also, thoughts and opinions of pvc pipe versus Reinforced PVC Braided Vinyl Tubing?  Thanks for the help and advice.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2020, 08:42:22 »
what kind of drain set up are you trying to set up? if you are going for a single full siphon the small would work. that would be a short pipe with a dry emergency pipe. if you wanted to have a durso type it needs a wider width so that you can elbow over. I chose the large to have 3 drains so i could have a bean animal. 
did you buy a non-tempered tank? i used pvc for mine. i used the braided pvc for my pilot system to reduce vibration but adapted to pvc for the parts on the DT
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:52:35 by dbowman »

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 09:10:49 »
dbowman, I bought the Aqueon 55 gallon tank which I believe is only tempered on the bottom.  Between sale and discount codes I got it for $60 total at Pet Supplies Plus.  I plan to go with the overflow style that SweetReefOH Ohio recommended that creates a Herbie-style return.  I am extremely limited on space for a sump.  It will actually hang off the back of the stand by about 4-5 inches but I can support it and it will also be out of sight. I am debating between the two sumps:

1: Eschopps Aquafuge Cube Medium
https://www.eshopps.com/filters/aqua-fuge/cube-medium

2: Fijicube Fiji-15 Sump
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/fiji-advanced-sump/products/fiji-15-advanced-reef-sump-2nd-gen-fiji-cube

I leaning towards the Fiji-15.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 10:33:43 »
Why not build your own sump?  May pet supplies plus has tanks for 1 dollar a gallon - then you could build it how you want and find a size to fit in your stand

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 10:51:39 »
The largest tank I can fit in my stand is only 10 gallons and I believe that it will be too little.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2020, 11:55:17 »
did you want a refugium?

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 12:13:49 »
A refugium would be nice but not a deal maker.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2020, 12:33:05 »
the lack of one  is what i noticed about the fuji cube but both look good

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2020, 12:35:06 »
Thanks, dbowman.  Also, I plan to have two returns at each end of the tank with the overflow in the middle.  How many of you run dual smaller return pumps versus having one large pump?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2020, 12:53:02 »
not i said the dog

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2020, 14:36:35 »
This gets me thinking.  Is it overkill to have the overflow in the middle with two returns on the sides or should I put the return on one side with the overflow on the other?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2020, 15:27:50 »
are you planning on wave makers?

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2020, 19:01:01 »
I have two Hydor Koralia 3rd Gen 1350 powerheads using their smart wave controller.  I have them in the rear corner pointing in towards the front.  They alternate every minute.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2020, 08:09:06 »
the reason i ask is that if you plan on all of the movement that your pumps provide it might give you the answer of what return set up to have. if you have a 400 gph drain what kind of return would you get to balance that without blowing everything around. I have a 2400 variable that i use on low with the overflow on the left rear and the return on the right.
the spray bar pvc return provides a cross tank flow toward the overflow. my wave makers are  on each end pushing water around the central rock work. i am thinking of getting a gyre but right now i have to be careful where i aim the wave makers so that the sand doesn't get fluffed around. I had the bar breaking the surface but that caused skim to accumulate behind it. i lowered it to under the surface now it allows the water to flow over it and it works better.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2020, 08:23:47 »
  Originally I had planned to T the return and have two nozzles coming from the back wall; one centered and one in the right corner. The lock-line doesn't come in large so I would have had 3/4" nozzles. The other thing is that to drill the return it had to be away from the top of the tank so that it would not crack the glass. This brought the return below the surface so I had to come up with something to break siphon and prevent livestock from swimming in. The return is threaded/dryfit and I am still moving it around. I left it white while I was considering how it worked so I could adjust the pieces. Now I might just let it get encrusted or get a new set of fittings and paint them black. Happy Sunday and Happy building!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:59 »
OK Team, I feel like I am acting like my wife trying to pick something to watch on Netflix.  I changed my mind again and bought a new 55 gallon tank last night.   Thanks everyone on the suggestions for overflows.  Few question.  When I calculate the water volume inside the tank minus rock/sand.  I get about 40ish gallons of water.  Many of your overflow suggestions are for the medium sized overflows which flow 600-800 GPH.  I would think the small that flow around 400 GPH is sufficient to allow somewhere between a 5x-10x sump turnover.  This would require the small sized overflow.  Am I missing something (which I have many times)? 

Also, thoughts and opinions of pvc pipe versus Reinforced PVC Braided Vinyl Tubing?  Thanks for the help and advice.
The quick answer to your question is that you install a gate valve on the main siphon drain. This allows you to adjust the flow in order to get the proper water height in the overflow box, so it doesn’t sound like a toilet constantly flushing.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2020, 09:08:29 »
Thanks everyone for your help.  It definitely gives me a lot to think about.  I truly appreciate it.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2020, 19:59:17 »
Well.  Not the greatest luck today.  Tried to drill my new Aqueon tank.  The drill bit was out of round.  As I started out slow, I didn't think too much of it.  As I sped it up to full speed, the wobble was very bad and caused the side of the tank to explode.  Off to buy another tank and find a new bit.  Unfortunately it is about a 2 1/4 inch bit. 

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2020, 22:10:25 »
Is it tempered?