2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: SPS  (Read 1761 times)

Offline SaltLife

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
SPS
« on: January 12, 2021, 17:22:23 »
Ok, i can not for the life of me grow sps corals. I can grow the daylights out of softies and anemones. What am I doing wrong? I know that's probably a really broad question but is there anything in particular I should start with looking into to improve my situation? Lighting? Calcium/Alk? Other parameters?

Thanks
...where the salt meets your life

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: SPS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 18:23:12 »
Clean water, stable parameters, good lighting and water movement. Especially with acros, consistent alk, Ca and Mag are a must.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 20:13:22 »
Flow was huge for me. In general: flow, lighting, alk and nutrient stability (in the order of most important to pretty important). Also no contaminants in the water.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 18:52:01 »
Ok, i can not for the life of me grow sps corals. I can grow the daylights out of softies and anemones. What am I doing wrong? I know that's probably a really broad question but is there anything in particular I should start with looking into to improve my situation? Lighting? Calcium/Alk? Other parameters?

Thanks
Can you start by giving us some more information. How many gallons is your system. How long has it been set up? What is your salinity and what do you use to check it? Do you have an auto top off system?

What are your current water parameters (alk/ca/mg) and how often do you test for them? And what test kits do you use?
What are your nutrient levels (phosphate & nitrate)? How often do you test and what kits are you using?

What lights do you have? How far off of the water are they and what settings are you using if LED’s? Have you PAR’d your coral placement areas?

What happens when you put an SPS frag in your system?

Without these questions answered, it’s really just a crap shoot to guess your problems. Let us know and I’m betting we can help you. There are a lot of old school gurus on here!

Offline SaltLife

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 20:34:59 »
I figured it wouldn't be a quick answer so give me time to test for all that you just mentioned, I just got some new test kits from API. I will test and send you the results. As for the lights, I have some LEDs (not anything expensive) at about 11" from surface of water. Tank is a 110 Oceanic. Tank age is a bit tricky because I have had the 110 going since 2008ish and that evolved from my first tank I started 35 years ago. It survived a divorce in 2013 and I had to pretty much rebuild the it but keeping the sand that is older than many members on this site.
I borrowed the PAR meter years ago and should get it again, I think the measurements I wrote down got tossed in the divorce so I will have to write them down again.
When I add something like a monty it just dissolves slowly and dies a slow death. Not sure if I am burning them so I lowered the 2 frags I have down a few inches to see if that changes them. It's only been 2 days so I can't really tell.
Back to the lights, I have them on full spectrum because the softies love it.
I hope I answered your questions (minus the test results). If you have any more please ask, I am about to switch to a new tank and once it is settled I want to add some SPS.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 00:56:24 »
If you get a chance drop off some water. I can check things for you.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:02:51 »
I have plenty of montipora to give you.
I recently had an issue and it was a bad filter in my rodi so i was putting phosphates into my system.  Lost a few sps in the process.

Offline SaltLife

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 16:04:39 »
Here are my parameters according to my API test kits, I will be dropping some off to Brian to get a second opinion:
PH - 8.3 (was a blend of 8.2-8.4)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0.something, it was not quite 0 but darn close
Calcium - 420
Alk - 179
Phosphate - .25

Offline SaltLife

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 16:08:16 »
Forgot salinity 1.025

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 16:17:13 »
I would get the results from Lazy and go from there.   My guess is the phosphates may be your issue. Unfortunately,  I know from experience.  IMO it should be under.   .1 and ideally. 03-.05

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 19:18:51 »
Here are my parameters according to my API test kits, I will be dropping some off to Brian to get a second opinion:
PH - 8.3 (was a blend of 8.2-8.4)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0.something, it was not quite 0 but darn close
Calcium - 420
Alk - 179
Phosphate - .25
These are just my observations and suggestions based on my experience....
First, API test kits are only good for ammonia and nitrite. They are not accurate enough for nitrate or phosphate. So if your phosphate reading is from an API test kit, I would say that’s likely not accurate. Lazy can use his Hanna checker for that to get you an accurate reading. Same with nitrate. I would suggest a Salifert or NYOS test kit. They are far more accurate. But Lazy could test this for you to get a more precise measurement. Next, if you are truly close to 0 nitrates, then that would be a problem.  You need to have a consistent nitrate reading above 3 or you will starve your SPS. Of course, these are just my opinions based on my anecdotal evidence. Hope this helps.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 19:43:12 »
.....Next, if you are truly close to 0 nitrates, then that would be a problem.  You need to have a consistent nitrate reading above 3 or you will starve your SPS.....

I have to chuckle. So much has changed since I left the hobby a number of years ago. Back then we tried to keep nitrates and PO4 as close to 0 as possible.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 08:07:32 »

I have to chuckle. So much has changed since I left the hobby a number of years ago. Back then we tried to keep nitrates and PO4 as close to 0 as possible.
Technology and science have certainly changed as well.
SPS can hang on and survive in a near 0 nutrient system, but you’re walking a tightrope and they are not thriving.