2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bryopsis pennata  (Read 3547 times)

Offline chromiumlux

Bryopsis pennata
« on: November 02, 2011, 23:44:31 »
Once again the Bryopsis Fairy has reared her ugly face!!! Not sure how it came back, but it has run amuck in my tank again. Fun! I have already removed 3 rocks and it looks like I will be removing 4 more. Not going to get into the how, why, and where it came from issues this time. I have spent countless hours online reading and researching. It seems I have bryopsis pennata. This is probably the worst of the genus. I spent the day doing routine maintenance and water change on the tank and have been observing this crap trying to figure if I should go another route this time. My first decision is to remove all the rock that has this dreaded scourge on it. I will not be bleaching and recuring it this time. It is dumpster bound. I still have several peices that are not affected yet, so I will be using these rocks for coral mounts. Most everything will be low in the tank. This will not be an issue as I will be lowering my leds to compensate. My second decision is to raise my magnesium to around 1700-1800 with Kent Tech-M mag. From what I have read many people have had luck with this method. Its about a 50-50 shot that it will work. If this does not work, I will try a method that Anthony Calfo suggests which is to raise Ph to around 8.4-8.5 for a while. So, this is where I stand right now on my decision to combat this ugly monster.
 During my research on this algae, I was floored when I read that bryopsis pennata is stubborn needing very little light and dissolved organic waste to flourish. If left in the tank it will reproduce via spores on its own. Even the tiniest branch left to float away will re-establish itself easily and quickly. It seems to be the worst of the worst in the bryopsis genus. Even going the route of a complete teardown and cleaning is no gaurantee to be rid of this vile weed! I have a fuge full of cheato that should outcompete this stuff and although my cheato grows very well....so does my bryopsis. Further readings have indicated that with the plethura of inverts and fish available to us there are very few that will actually eat this stuff. My Rabbit nibbled at it a few times when it first appeared and now he just looks at it. Other notes are that this one contains toxins that it releases in order to gain a foothold. Probably why there is not many fish or inverts that will eat it. Even so, if some type of animal did eat it the roots are still in the rock left to regrow. I noticed a small patch around my ice fire echinata and thought to myself...I will just refrag that coral the next day...The ice fire is now a coral skeleton. I am sure sensitivity played a part to its demise.
 So, I am not sure what is feeding this algae. My refugium shows no sign of it, both my refugium and skimmer fuge are clean...ie..not detritus. I recleaned my skimmer and return pump today and performed a 30g water change. Friday I plan to remove the rest of affected rock and do another water change. Then, I will start the magnesium regimen after the rock is out. If these methods do not work I may consider biobead method to help bind up the phos and DOCs.
 Now I need to find a local shop that might have a gallon of Kent Tech-M.
 Has anyone here at used the mag method to kill bryopsis? All feedback will be helpful and welcome.
 Thanks for reading my rant.....lol
Chromiumlux

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
Bryopsis pennata
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 00:10:27 »
Brian has had to deal wuth bryopsis in the past, and i know forsure he tried elevated levela of magnesium. The only problem seems to be that some of the algae seems to build a resistance after a while. Good luck andy!

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Re: Bryopsis pennata
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:47 »
Sorry to hear that Andy.  That sucks.  Hope you get it under control. 

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:49 »
I looked up stuff about it and found that some people said they had good luck with a  Lawnmower Blenny and they said to run a Phosphate Sponge through a canister. They said Kent was a good one.   Don't know if any of this helps you or if you already tried it.  Keep us posted.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:15 »
that sucks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:27 »
Wow there are all kinds of suggested solutions out there... This one wasn't mentioned anywhere else and sounds logical

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167632&page=2
To all - This method worked for me:

I tore out clumps and put them in the refugium. With the 24 hour light in there, it thrived. The remaining clumps in the display starved and died (presumably because the nutrients were being used up by the rapidly spreading bryopsis in the fuge.)

I then purchased a lettuce nudi who now inhabits my refugium and keeps the bryopsis controlled.

I originally had him in the main tank - but man, those things LOVE powerheads.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:51:58 »
That would be worth a try.  Certainly can't hurt. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 13:40:25 »
I had it and beat it. It was worst thing I have ever dealt with in this hobby. The stuff is toxic, it irritates and even kills some corals. Tried ultra low nutrients, Tech M, manual removal, various predators. All only made small short term impacts to it. Spent probably 1.5 years dealing with it. The Ultimate fix was bringing in a new system. I acid washed rock, installed new tank, new dry sand. Each sps coral was cut and remounted before bringing in. Most zoas were given to starfishprime or thrown out. softies and some zoas were dipped in h202 and quartined before being brought in. Twice QT had to be drained dried and started over due to being infected with it. This is the worst pest ever and is very efficient at pulling nutrients out of the water. I am so glad to be rid of it. Hope you have better luck getting rid of it Andy.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 00:39:54 »
So far, I am not seeing a resurgance of this vile weed! Does not mean it is gone 100%. I did take a different approach. I am dosing Prodibio biodigest and bioptim for the next month, then will begin the raising of mag levels with Tech-M. New rock is curing and all looks good so far. I think I can hear Kattz in the background saying I told ya so.....about that crap pukani rock.lol.
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 15:35:00 »
So far, I am not seeing a resurgance of this vile weed! Does not mean it is gone 100%. I did take a different approach. I am dosing Prodibio biodigest and bioptim for the next month, then will begin the raising of mag levels with Tech-M. New rock is curing and all looks good so far. I think I can hear Kattz in the background saying I told ya so.....about that crap pukani rock.lol.

I really liked the Proibio products when I was dosing........nice to only have to dose every other week.   But it got pricey, so I switched to Vodka, then once a month, I added just the biodigest for extra bacteria variety.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 00:04:11 »
I really liked the Proibio products when I was dosing........nice to only have to dose every other week.   But it got pricey, so I switched to Vodka, then once a month, I added just the biodigest for extra bacteria variety.

Nice suggestion. Thanks. I will keep that in mind.
Chromiumlux