2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Brown Clove Polyps/ Muratic Acid  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Brown Clove Polyps/ Muratic Acid
« on: May 21, 2013, 18:57:18 »
Recently pulled some rock from my tank that were coverd with brown clove polyps. They have been setting on my patio for several days so I am sure the polyps are dead. The rocks were also covered with coraline and sponge so I was thinking of giving them a muratic acid bath. Input necessary at this point. Is this necessary and if so how do you go about doing this?

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
Re: Brown Clove Polyps/ Muratic Acid
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 20:24:17 »
Steve
 please remember to add water to the container first THEN the acid. I personally can't say a time because I have not done rock from tank. but have used muratic acid for other purposes.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 20:34:50 »
Steve
 please remember to add water to the container first THEN the acid.

Indeed. Was kinda curious what to do with it when done, sewer drain, kill weeds or what?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 21:58:14 »
Recently pulled some rock from my tank that were coverd with brown clove polyps. They have been setting on my patio for several days so I am sure the polyps are dead. The rocks were also covered with coraline and sponge so I was thinking of giving them a muratic acid bath. Input necessary at this point. Is this necessary and if so how do you go about doing this?

Mix 1 part acid to every 10-20 part water... you can measure acid in a glass measuring cup if you choose. make sure your rock and water are already in bucket before adding acid. you can soak from anywhere from 20mins - 2 hours... The stronger you mix it and the longer you wait the less rock you will have... As a rule of thumb once the bubbling/foam slows you can go about making it inert.

once it is inert you can remove the rock, hose off rock and set in sun to dry, Wola!

Indeed. Was kinda curious what to do with it when done, sewer drain, kill weeds or what?

Baking soda to the acid mixture, until it is done bubbling.... It will be inert at that point, you can pour in yard if you'd like... you can then dilute the area you poured it with hose water if your still worried... Though the baking soda will do the trick...

When you add the baking soda you get a reaction so it may get hot.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 22:05:08 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 22:42:31 »
Thanks Cody, the baking soda makes sense.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:59:10 »
Anytime I see folks using acid/heat to kill problems corals........ I just want to remind those that might be reading this. Know what is on the rock and what you are doing.

Please make sure there are no Zoanthids or Palythoa on the rock.

Reference:
Palytoxin

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=13473.0

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 19:48:35 »
There were about 15 yellow zoanthids but they have been setting outside on my patio for at least a week. The reason I was thinking about the acid wash is all the sponges and coraline and other stuff that has died. Do you think this is a problem, maybe I could just power wash with hose. Just don't want to pollute my tank when I put it back in.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 20:04:08 »
I don't think it should be a problem steve, just remember to use eye and inhale protection... You shouldn't be breathing the acid vapors anyways as it is just as dangerous as the paly toxin, it will damage the membranes in your lungs.... the acid reaction isn't immediate, just stay your distance until it is done, then make the solution inert with the soda.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 20:29:23 »
You shouldn't be breathing the acid vapors anyways as it is just as dangerous as the paly toxin, it will damage the membranes in your lungs....

Thanks Boon, I did enough lung damage in  the 80's so I will be extra cautious. I do take this stuff serious. I had a supervisor at a paper factory who used to make fun of use for wearing our protective equipment, saw him at the Dr with all the skin ate off his feet, not so funny.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:05 »
He who laughs last...

Muratic acid is not harmful to the tank. I had to dose a small amount of it when I had a "problem" with our Ph being to high because of the turf scrubber and cheato. Aside from the pods swimming in the area where I dumped the water/acid mixture everyone was happy and healthy.