2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Adding PODs without a refugeum/sump  (Read 2488 times)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Adding PODs without a refugeum/sump
« on: December 16, 2012, 18:33:17 »
Can I seed my tank with pods etc without having a refug/sump? In my past tanks I have always had one, but with a 30gal it seems kinda silly haha. Whats your thoughts?

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Adding PODs without a refugeum/sump
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 19:18:44 »
Yes you can, I wouldn't add them till a few hours after lights out.  That way it gives the pods a chance to get into the rocks before the fish gobble them up.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 20:26:26 »
Yes you can, I wouldn't add them till a few hours after lights out.  That way it gives the pods a chance to get into the rocks before the fish gobble them up.

+1
When I clean my ATS or sock I put the pods I find in the display. 99 times out of 100 the get ate before they can even think about finding cover. If you do it well after lights out, the pods have half a chance.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 22:06:54 »
ok great! thanks for the advice!! Love to have a sump but with such a small tank....

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 22:35:18 »
ok great! thanks for the advice!! Love to have a sump but with such a small tank....

You could add a fuge. Even 5 gallons would be good. I have seen systems online that have a sump bigger than there dt. Don't make since to me but??? It works.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 23:28:18 »
This is my biggest dilemma...  sump or fuge.  I recently added about 1,000 pods to my display and 500 to my sump.  My sump is bare just heaters, skimmer and return pump. I do have some scrunchies and filter pads down there for them to live in.  I used to see pods ALL ove the place but ever since I added my green mandarin I rarely see them.  I will see the all over the rocks at night but thats about it.  I am thinking about making a fuge in my sump.  It has a chamber for it, I just didnt feel like running a light down there for the cheato to grow....

I think they will live but do alot better with some cheato down there.

Jeremy

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:22:04 »
I have a CPR Bac Pac skimmer, it has a 'biological filter' area so I was thinking of trying to seed some in there as well! If I could find a small 5  gallon or so sump I would consider it!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:28 »
I used to see tons of pods also. But just like anything else that gets hunted, they hide from the hunter. I have been pulling rock out 1 @ a time in an effort to kill this turf algae & am finding a lot of pods hidden in the cracks & holes in the rock. So I'm sure they're there.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:26:31 »
I added pods to my solana with out a sump but I also have a little refuge build in the back by my skimmer seem to have worked great see pods all over but only have two snowflake clowns in there and that's it

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 20:31:35 »
Great, where do you guys get yours at?

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 20:59:22 »
I got mine from reefs2go.