2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: emerald crabs  (Read 2284 times)

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
emerald crabs
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:45:18 »
Any idea as to why my emerald crabs are losing color? I noticed one yesterday that looked like its shell had been bleached. Its normally a fairly dark green.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: emerald crabs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:52 »
How do the rest of your inverts look? Sticks in my mind that an emerald crab gets its color from its food. So if its not eating a lot of algae it may loose its color. Only other thing I can think of is check your iodine. Don't just dose it tho.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:56 »
Do you think they could be getting ready to molt? Just a thought but don't quote me on it
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:14:39 »
We had an emerald that ate all the algae in the tank and was much loved for doing so. However, he was used to eating a voracious amount and when the green stuff was gone he started cleaning out pocillopora and other SPS. Just keep and eye out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 19:56:32 »
They do turn white as they become malnourished. They need a good amount of algae. Try moving it to your refugium if you have one and there's algae for it to eat.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 20:10:35 »
If not u can always find them a new home
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 20:49:48 »
I'll give it a new home! :)

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 21:29:08 »
My guess is u could probably find 50 people on here that would take the off your hunds

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 21:29:41 »
HANDS****  my bad lol

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:04 »
I only have a small in-tank refugium but I do have some cheato in the tank and I usually feed the sheet algae 2-3 times a week. My tangs love it. I've seen the crabs pick at it a few times.
I did order the test kits you suggested tonight. I hadn't gotten any one the individual test kits yet. So much to keep track of, lol. I like it tho, keeps my out ta most trouble.  :be happy:
Brent McCloskey