2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My 90 gallon build  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Killerflash

• Egg
My 90 gallon build
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:36:12 »
Hey there everyone and merry Christmas! I've been around for a short time now, but still haven't got around to making this post so here it is.

This is my first saltwater tank and my first larger aquarium. It has been running since late September.

Okay so here's some of the stuff I currently use:
90 gallon glass aquarium with a glass canopy (not drilled)
Two canister filters (Penn Plax Cascade 1200 & Marineland C-220)
Two JVP-102b power heads
Marineland 36" LED's (I have new lights on the way since I've decided that I want corals now)

- I do plan to get the reef octopus bh 1000 or 2000 protein skimmer soon, I was debating on getting an overflow and sump with a different skimmer, but decided I'll get a hob one instead.

I have around 100 pounds of live rock in there now and about a 1 inch sand bed when it is all leveled out. Almost of which were dry rock and dry sand starting out; I only had about 10 pounds of live rock to help seed the rest.
I dosed pure ammonia and raised the ammonia level to 4ppm to help start my cycle and it all worked really well. The cycle took about 2 weeks to complete.

My first additions were some nerites, ceriths, and blue leg hermits a week after it finished.

Every week or two after that I made a trip to my LFS to get a fish and here is the list of all of them now and the order in which I got them.

Yellow finned flasher wrasse
Smiths blenny
5 blue/green reef chromis
Yellow clown goby
2 clowns (mated pair)
1 flame and 1 coral beauty dwarf angel

I got more nerites ceriths and blue legs at various times when getting fish as well and have about 10 of each in there now. I also have 2 emerald crabs now as well.

I recently added my first 3 coral frags as well, all softies. Zoa, gsp, and mushroom frags.

I feed formula 2 flakes 2-3 times a day and frozen mysis shrimp a few times a week. I also keep some dried seaweed clamped in there most of the time and occasionally give them frozen brine shrimp as well. I'll post pictures on a separate post so this one isn't so big!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:53:35 by Killerflash »
90 Gallon FOWLR

Offline Killerflash

• Egg
Re: My 90 gallon build
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:01:15 »

Here are some more I didn't want to flood this with pictures
http://m.imgur.com/a/bDQha
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 21:00:15 by Killerflash »
90 Gallon FOWLR

Offline Killerflash

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 21:03:11 »
Here are a few more I took today.

90 Gallon FOWLR

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 21:48:57 »
Lookin good, love the flasher wrasse. I have one in quarantine right now, can't wait until I can put him in the display.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 22:18:56 »
The Smith's Blenny looks great.  Adds character to your tank.