2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: carbon and phos zorb  (Read 1630 times)

Offline j80

• Juvenile
carbon and phos zorb
« on: February 09, 2011, 22:08:44 »
Does anyone use carbon or phos zorb in a reef tank? Is this a good or bad thing to use in a 3 month old 55 gal reef. I just put phos zorb in to combat green and red string algae and it cleared up the water i also have a big bag of carbon but have been told not to use it in saltwater.

Offline larrynews

Re: carbon and phos zorb
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 22:38:27 »
i have always used carbon, in my 125 reef

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 22:52:02 »
I think carbon is a good thing but I've seen people discuss how it can remove some trace elements but from what I've read they are replaced by regular water changes. 

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:32 »
I run both Carbon and Phosphate absorbing media in my reef 24/7 I replace my carbon every two weeks and my Phosphate media once a month. There are different types of Phosphate absorbing media though and I have heard some people having problems with the kind that is made from aluminum(it usually is gray or white in color) I use the ferric based media it looks like rust and is basically rust lol. There are also different types of carbon also, some of the cheaper carbon can actually release phosphates into your water if I remember correctly, depending on what it is made of. Joel would be a good one to get the full story on this pm him or maybe he will notice the post and chime in.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...