2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I just got an anemone, but I think my clown fish is too big.  (Read 4303 times)

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
Hi, i just got a bubble anemone, and my maroon clown fish took to it immediately, and im almost afraid that he is hurting it. He seems very aggressive when he rubs against it and what not, and he sucks on the ends of the tenticles, which reading has told me this is normal. I just wonder if its possible that the clown fish can hurt the amemone because its smalled than he is right now. I dont want my anemone hurt, but my clown was the first fish I got in my tank, and he is a hardy guy I would hate to loose, any suggestions?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: I just got an anemone, but I think my clown fish is too big.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:10 »
How big is the anemone?  Start feeding it raw shrimp or silversides etc., you will be surprised at how fast they grow if target fed.  What your fish is doing is natural and the anemone most likely wont mind.  Anemone's are funny creatures...They can be big as wever one day and look like they are on their way out the next.  That's a natural process for them.  That's also the way they rid themselves of their waste.       

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:35 »
LOL ... FANTASTIC ....another maroon clown fish owner !!  My FAVORITE fish in the ocean !

Dont worry about the size ... things will work out.

Heres a pick when I got my Gold Stripe Maroon Clown his first anemone. your fish will look like he is agressive but its just the "getting to know you" stage.

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 13:44:39 »

your fish will look like he is agressive but its just the "getting to know you" stage.

So you could say he is just sniffing his butt?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 15:43:21 »
So you could say he is just sniffing his butt?
:hysterical: Must be what you do to get to know someone, not my idea of a good way to make friends. :hysterical:

Offline rancoo

• Adult
I just got an anemone, but I think my clown fish is too big.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 15:53:41 »
I don't chose to get to know people that way either, but my dog on the other hand...
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 16:23:58 »
:hysterical: Must be what you do to get to know someone, not my idea of a good way to make friends. :hysterical:

well atleast I know all my friends don't stink that way........
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 20:59:24 »
lol... you guys are funny. Yes, I love the maroon clown, he is twice the size now then when I got him like 2 years ago, and he is awesome. Everyone said they can be aggressive, but he never was.....until I got the anemone two days ago. He isnt aggressive unless another fish comes close to it. He has seemed to settle down a bit, but I think it helps that the anemone went to the water line at the top of the tank, and he is in a corner, so its harder for my Nemo (yes I named him that, lol I have kids, ok?) to go at it the same way as yesterday. I dont think I have ever seen my clown so happy as when I put that in my tank! He isnt bubbled up very much though, so hopefully that isnt a problem. I did try to site feed him krill last night, and the clown fish seemed to respect it needing to eat, and it got attached to the shrimp and then the clown fish knocked it away! So Im going to try again this evening when I feed the fish, and see if I have any better luck. Thank you for the advice, I feel better knowing im not the only one that started their anemone after their clown :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 21:14:24 »
    ;) I think its great to cater to our children by naming our own pets from movie and cartoon characters  :D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:35:03 »
In my experience, bubble tips don't always keep their bubbles.  Om fact, mine only show it's bubbles every now and then which is a rare sight.  But I love the relationship the clowns and their anemone have.  :)

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 15:38:29 »
ok, I took a picture of it just to show you guys, I hope that this still looks like a healthy anemone, because it really hasnt blown up any more than this since i got it. but I did feed it some krill, and it ate it great, but I was kinda scared cause I thought maybe it was dying, but come to find out it was just pooping lol. I have read so many different things about them, alot of people say to site feed them, but others say not to because it can be too stressful on them and their digestive systems.... so frustrating when you hear such opposite information. I just want to make sure to provide it the best living quarters because I find it amazing to watch. (as I am my engineer goby we just got, since he is apparently rearranging my entire sandbed to his liking ) But here is a picture that I got while nemo was trying to attack the camera from the anemone (he is very possessive of his anemone!) and then another that  got with him on it, so you can see the size difference I was talking about. To make a size reference my maroon is about 4 inches in length.

Also, the anemone ate the krill (I gave it half a dried peice, about 1/3 inch) the second day it was in my tank. The fact that it ate is a good sign right? Also, when site feeding, I know to give it small peices, but how many small peices should I be feeding it per feeding (waiting for it to eat the first one before giving it another) or should I only give it one? Which is what I did to be safe. I didnt know if you can overfeed them. Just trying to learn as much as I can, sorry for all the questions :) but thank you for all your advice.

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 15:45:21 »

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 15:46:13 »

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 16:02:29 »
Mine gets most of its food from what I feed the tanks ... The clown will collect bigger pieces and bring them to the anemone :)

I do also "spot" feed it krill that I have let soak in tank water and a little vita chem for a bit. I do this once a week or so.

LOVE your clown :)   I have a soft spot for maroons ( my avatar is of my Gold Stripe Maroon... Ember), just keep in mind that the Maroon clown is the most aggressive clown on the block :). Only important when you want to add other fish.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 19:08:45 »
Thanks for the info, yes when I saw him at the lfs I absolutely loved the coloring. He wasnt as "nemo" as my kids would have liked, but I love him. I never understand how you can get clowns to reproduce if you cant put more than one in a tank together. Granted, he was my first fish, so he is going to be territorial to his tank if I add one now. Maybe if I would have got them both at the same time.

So do you think the fact that my anemone is only opened that amount normal? How much Krill do you feed in that once a week feeding? I use tank water to soak them, but didnt know of any additives, what are they used for?

Also, I saw on here that being a premium member gave you access to testing kits and what not, and I didnt know how to go about obtaining one of those. we only have the thing to test the salinity of the water, and I know the nitrates and stuff are really important to an anemones well being. But I couldnt find anything on here that said any more about the kits.

Also, I apologize for posting the pics twice, I didnt think the first set of them worked, they werent showing up for me before.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 19:39:36 »
I don't have experience with Maroon clowns, but with other clowns, if you get a MUCH smaller clown than the established clown you can pair them up.  I've done this three different times with success.  There was a little fighting but nothing terrible.  The key is making sure one is much smaller to allow the established clown to dominate. 

Watch your anemone with over flows and power heads!  That can be dangerous!!! ;)  Just based on the pictures, the anemone looks fine to me. 

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 15:32:22 »
we have a canister filter. so no need to worry about harm that way. Still hasnt really opened up, and it seems to poop more often than not. I only feed my fish once a day, and havent site fed it in awhile. I was worried because we lost power the other night in that lovely lightning storm, and we didnt have power for 14hours. but we did a bucket with a hole in it to drip water into the tank to try to help keep the water oxygenated. but I dont know, he just doesnt bubble up the right way. And he has his mouth gaping open alot, but like I said, im pretty sure he is pooping cause he has this little brown ball thing that he pushes out when he does it. It just seems like he is like that for a long time.

Any suggestions in regards to the kits that we have access to as premium members?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 15:54:36 »
From what I understand, they aren't something that gets loaned out due to the reagents and whatnot. The testing supplies are usually available to have water tested at the meetings. I have a few various tests, if you need you and your hubby are more than welcome to stop by ;)

Offline shiftnchick

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 16:56:41 »
I greatly appreciate that, I was looking online and they arent as costly as I was thinking, so I am going to buy one. Seems like a good idea to be able to test it on a constant basis since we are getting into more complicated creatures in our tank. There are alot of different test kits though that test for different things, does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand or kit to buy?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 17:18:44 »
I greatly appreciate that, I was looking online and they arent as costly as I was thinking, so I am going to buy one. Seems like a good idea to be able to test it on a constant basis since we are getting into more complicated creatures in our tank. There are alot of different test kits though that test for different things, does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand or kit to buy?
Aquarium pharmaceuticals Inc. Is a good beginner test kit to start with. They have a basic master saltwater kit, and the more advanced master reef kit. I am more partial to the salifert test kits. They are a little more pricey, but I feel you get what you pay for when it comes to testing water quality.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 20:44:43 »
Hopefully, there will be some water testing at the meeting on July 23!  ;)