2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: closed corals  (Read 4305 times)

Offline j80

• Juvenile
closed corals
« on: September 02, 2011, 21:16:22 »
My torch and zoa's have been closed for about 2 weeks now but everything else is doing good. I have not changed anything so im not sure why they wont open now. I do have some Cyanobacteria or some sort of brownish red algae that i have fought for about 7 months. I had a hair algae problem that's almost gone. I had 4 54watt t-5's but now i run 2 12k's and 24 LED's.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: closed corals
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 22:19:08 »
Have you also noticed any skin receding around where the polyps would normally come out. Do you think it could be to much light or have you already tried putting them in a less lit location?

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 22:37:06 »
I have moved them all over, They are kind of open you can see the color of them but they wont open all the way

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 23:01:56 »
A FTS and perhaps one of the affected corals and posting of your water parameters would help. Without that it is a bit hard to troubleshoot. I know corals don't like cynobacteria but it is more of an irritant. Light changes can affect corals but going on two weeks and your moving them it is probably not that. Do you have other corals and do they seem okay?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 23:32:50 »
LPS's can grow in ditchwater when compared to SPS.  I'm wondering re alk, mg, and ca levels.  I had this issue and then polyp bailout after about 6 weeks due to too much alk swing.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:28:46 »
LPS's can grow in ditchwater when compared to SPS.  I'm wondering re alk, mg, and ca levels.  I had this issue and then polyp bailout after about 6 weeks due to too much alk swing.

Amen on this, My LPS looked amazing and always hardy... Brian gave me a monti and I could just not keep that thing looking good... :( ... but it's good I really like the look of the lps over the sps anyways so I am happy.... if the LPS were as hard as sps I would have quit this hobby long ago rofl... stupid sticks :P
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:43:28 »
LPS's can grow in ditchwater when compared to SPS. 

+1 ----- My LPS grew like crazy when I ignored my tank for about 7 months....

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:53:09 »
My calcium is 380, dkh 12 but my PH is about 7.8, I have some sps that seem to be doing good and lps seem fine it's just the torch and zoa's. I have been using ph buffer to raise it but i just read that's bad to use all the time. Whats the best way to raise it? I have never used kalkwasser so maybe i need to look into it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 13:47:25 »
Defintley not a calcium, alk or PH issue. Since your SPS are fine the water chemistry is likely okay. Nothing wrong with PH buffer it is a mix Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. Kalkwasser is another method to increase PH/Alk and Calcium. It would be a good move as a holistic solution to your corals needs.
Do the zoa's look normal other than being closed. Meaning not shrinking, pinched looking at the base or have any white spots that look like sand on them.
Is the torch other then being closed still have it's tissue and polyps or appear to have any brown jelly like mucous on them?
How bad is the cynobacteria?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 21:17:43 »
That calcium level is very low for the kH level you have in my opinion.  My guess is mg is low as well. 
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:32:25 »
Should I raise the calcium?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:14 »
i keep my calc between 420-460, so its not terribly low, but getting there. PH seems kind of low for your kalk being on target. The only way I know to raise PH is by using chemicals or water changes which luckily my tap water had a higher PH level than needed for my tank so it helps raise it when i add 5g's of water every 3-4 days.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 14:25:30 »
Should I raise the calcium?

Yes but the level that it is at won't be causing the issue this thread is related to.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 13:20:22 »
Please check your nitrate levels.  I bet you will find them to be high.  I have been fighting higher nitrate for quite a while now and my zoos will actually be some of the first corals that will show signs of levels getting to high.  Sps have not been too affected other then some tissue recession and not the best in the way of polyp extension.  Some corals will show no effect at all while others will.  Would also expain your slime.  I got that too.
Jeff

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 22:41:38 »
What is the temp of the water?... What size tank is this? did you ever acclimate the corals to the light? What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

As mentioned I would check the Nutrients in the water, though the SPS would show before the LPS would if this were the case...

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 22:49:21 »
Temp is 80.4 and its a 10 month old 55gal. They were closed before i changed the lights, but i am wondering if thats why they won't open now because my bubble tip crawled under a rock and won't hardly open. I have an API drip test kit and everything shows it's good

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 23:00:16 »
what watt are the 12ks? and the 24 leds?   I wonder if they were closed because they weren't getting enough light, you had mentioned some algae growth which could be from a light shift, and since it cured it's self shortly after adding the new light it could be a very good indicator... but now it may be too much.

what fish do you have, noticed any picking?

I really think a couple pics of your situation could help.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 23:13:37 »
12K's are 54watt t-5's about 6 week's old and I have 18 cree royal blue's and 6 cool white's. I have two tangs two clowns a goby and 3 chromis. I have cyano,hair algae and some sort of brown on the sand. It's all mostly gone but i still have some of all of it. Since adding the LED's my glass is not green every day but the sand still turns brown overnight.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 23:52:49 »

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 23:54:11 »

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 23:55:33 »

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 23:57:26 »
My torch was open with long tentacles, Also does anyone know how to get rid of the brown on my rock?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:08 »
The zoo's are pinched at the base. That is indicative of disease and I would remove them before it spreads to others. Also see what appears to be dinoflagellates. Most likely you have very high phosphates.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:46 »
The zoo's are pinched at the base. That is indicative of disease and I would remove them before it spreads to others. Also see what appears to be dinoflagellates. Most likely you have very high phosphates.

+1

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:00 »
Also see what appears to be dinoflagellates. Most likely you have very high phosphates.
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER