2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Softy advice  (Read 3412 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Softy advice
« on: March 14, 2009, 15:21:25 »
this softy has lost about 2/3 of fingers since i got it.  You can see the flat spots in the picture were the other 2 branchs used to be.  I have never seen a fish mess with it, does it look like physical damage? It does seem to usually have some kinda slime around it. 

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Softy advice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 15:52:35 »
How are your chemicals testing out?  Do you have other softies in the tank?  Have you changed anything recently?  Please give us some more info.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 21:45:04 »
ok back to this issue.

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
phosphates none that my kit can detect
temp 80
PH 7.9
SG 1.025
alk 6.5 bringing it up
calcium 400
mag 1180 a little low

another topic: how to raise alk with baking soda and raise PH?

Heres some more pics.  Look like it eather dissolving from inside, or being eaten. 2nd picture is dark (it was hard to get the exposure to show the problem area.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 21:47:10 »
Yea all other softes are doing great, only had this one since the BIITB and seems to have gone downhill since i got it.  I hear some folks say they cant keep, mushrooms, GSP etc.  really hardy stuff, what causes that?  Too much light? to much flow?

Ok i probably have 4 topics in this thread now....

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 23:05:36 »
sadly my pom pom xenias are doing about the same thing :(   im pretty much left with half my mother colony after they were flourishing and multiplying for around 6 months.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:03:03 »
Definitely get your Mag and Alk up.  Your pH should probably come up a bit too.  Are you running carbon?  If not, I would definitely start that.  If you aren't, you could have chemical warfare going on. 

GSP is one of those "early warning" corals...they get annoyed easily, but they're hardy.  As far as people not being able to keep certain softies...it's probably a combination of things.  Xenia are a "dirty-water" coral...and some other softies are just completely intolerant of warmer water or other softies.

Here's some reading for you on the whole baking soda discussion.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 21:22:53 »
Yep i read all those again the other day.  I did miss the part about baking the baking soda to help increase PH when adding Alk. have to do that. As far as Calcium, is there a local source for driveway heat stuff? or do you buy flake from Bulkreefsupply?

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 22:36:23 »
you can get the pellets at Robinson's Salt on West Carrollton Farmersville Rd.I do not think it is as safe to use as it was since they have changed it's composition.You can try to find the older bags but I haven't had luck finding them anymore.You have to check lot numbers but I can't remember them.Maybe some one else knows them.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:34:48 »
The MagFlake and driveway melt stuff are now both unsafe for aquarium use according to the manufacturers.  One has too much bromide and the other has high levels of ammonia.  BulkReefSupply still has the old formula in stock (when they heard the formula was changing, they stocked up.)