2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Xenia stops pulsating  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
Xenia stops pulsating
« on: March 11, 2009, 14:23:01 »
I'm guessing this is just one of those mysteries, but i got a frag of silver stalk xenia from a buddy, was pulsating very nicely.. and recently, it just stopped?

I also have blue xenia that has never pulsated, but my pink pom pom xenia pulsates like theres no tomorrow! The silver stalk did for a good few days, but hasnt at all for the last week or so.

I know that some species pulse and some dont, but does anyone know what would cause them to spontaneously stop pulsating all together? Or is xenia just funny like that?

PS, its not in an area of high or even moderate flow, its in a spot where pulsating would be obvious..

55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: Xenia stops pulsating
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 15:22:55 »
I believe the xenia needs flow to pulsate like you want it too. Here’s an article about it, read down at “water current”:
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/pulsating_xenia.htm

If it's feasable I would suggest moving it to a higher flow area and see how it reacts.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 15:41:56 »
Low Alkalinity levels can cause Xenia pulsing to decrease or cease altogether, so alkalinity levels should be monitored and kept above a minimum of 2.5meq/l

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 16:30:55 »
My xenia tended to move to the highest light and the highest area of flow in the tank. Those conditions should make it happy but the pulsing with not be noticed. Like suggested it may be an issue with parameters.

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 19:23:38 »
so it could be a param even tho my pom pom xenia is pulsating just fine?

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 22:00:11 »
I have some pink pom poms that are growing like crazy.  Every now and then they just stop pulsating and close up.  After a few hours they open back up and begin cheering again.  They do all the time so I don't worry anymore about them.  All water parameters are testing fine and they are growing like mad.  I said that to say maybe yours is just going through a cycle?  Mine do it all the time.  Hopefully this is all that is happening with yours.
One Day At A Time

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 14:29:15 »
yeah my pom pom will stop for a little while too, but not for days/a week like this silver stalk did.

must have just been a cycle of some type, because they are beginning to pulse again today. odd....

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 15:32:18 »
Yeah, from monitoring mine, I believe it's something they just do.  Glad to know it's beginning to spring back for you!
One Day At A Time

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 22:37:58 »
You may find this article interesting:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

One thing to keep in mind though...is that some people just absolutely for the life of them cannot keep certain species of Xenia (I'm one of them.)  Other than the Pom Pom type, everything else just melts away (granted, I'm not too disappointed, it can really overrun a tank.)  If yours starts looking bad, take quick action because they can melt very fast and turn into the worst smelling messs ever.