2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What in blue blazes is going on???  (Read 3206 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
What in blue blazes is going on???
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:42 »
EVERY TIME I send a PM or am typing a PM, my computer crashes.  If typing a post, no problem.  This has happened sporadically in the past, but is now a constant.  I tried to send a one sentence PM to Blazinreef this morning, and went through this 5 times.  Same thing with Reefpete last night.  I got to the point that I just PM'd him my phone number so we could discuss LED's.

I can open up 10 windows in MSIE and do my college math homework for HOURS, play Skyrim or Assassin's Creed for HOURS, and post on the forums for DAYS, and nothing happens.  My computer will just reboot within 2-5 minutes of entering the PM screen.  I said BSOD last night, but really, it just reboots like someone pulled the plug and plugged it back in.  I don't even have to touch a key.

One of you IT guys messing with my head?  This is obnoxious.  Norton nor any of my other antiviruses or malware detectors is picking up anything.  No malicious software or downloads.  I don't think the problem is my computer.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
Re: What in blue blazes is going on???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:25:03 »
Interesting...

Sounds like your browser is attempting to run something within IE like Flash, Java, or ActiveX and that may be what is causing you PC to crash.

Try to update IE, use Firefox, or Chrome and see what happens.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 13:00:25 »
Creating a PM is really no different than a forum post so I don't see why that would cause your PC to crash.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 13:05:58 »
OHHH thats your problem, using IE lol

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 13:20:36 »
Creating a PM is really no different than a forum post so I don't see why that would cause your PC to crash.

While I think that this is true as well, there is something definitely going on, and only on the Ohio Reef pm screen.  I just did it on demand.  Opened up a PM to you, and just started typing ksjudfpsfpsaufpeugfpiu vpdn pdjnpiufn vpasn   ujkaslla lasd bauboadjfbodhf olausb fauhf oiud zhojndap jvdspoiuh govisdubvjndliu hghfs and so forth.  2 paragraphs into gibberish, and <poof> REBOOT!
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 13:21:53 »
OHHH thats your problem, using IE lol

All right, smartash, I'll try it with Firefox later tonight and see what happens.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 13:25:56 »
ha ha ha ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 13:29:03 »
You could also switch back to old theme to see if it gets better.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 13:47:16 »
It has happened in the past with other themes, but like once a month, and I never put 2+2 together until the events of last night and this morning.  I'll try a different theme.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 14:40:29 »
Wonder if there is a specific ad that pops up on your PM page that your computer doesn't like.

Hopefully lazy jumps in. That is so weird.

Have you tried clearing out your history and cookies? Run an adware/virus scan in safe mode?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 17:36:56 »
Done and done.  Updated to MSIE 9.  Let's see if that helps.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 19:42:15 »
I am stumped on this Gary. Kev that is doosie, hopefully IE9 fixes it.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 19:52:03 »
If that doesn't work. Install Firefox or Chrome.... That is all I use anymore...

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 20:25:15 »
Me too, Brian. I have no idea why it would reboot like that. That is a MAJOR error! Wonder if he has a bad memory chip, but why only during a PM?

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 20:28:02 »
I know that some of us were experiencing weird screen configurations during PMs and PMs only with older IE versions. Upgrading fixed it.  May be related.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 23:42:32 »
Use Lion.....

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:44:07 »
Well, the verdict is in.  IE9 locks up my cursor and makes it disappear on ANY post, but only on this forum.  Firefox and Lion is OK, but I don't want to run two different browsers.  I have to use IE, can't use another one for school, as the course doesn't work with Firefox or Lion, nor Safari on a Mac.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:27 »
They can co-exist... Just use one for this forum, and one for everything else.  Just involves a little clickity click.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:41 »
i use google chrome
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:46 »
i use google chrome

I just changed from Firefox to chrome here.     Firefox just got a little too unstable.    Chrome has been good, but I have to use IE9 sometimes on my work laptop since we do some things in the god awful MS sharepoint.