2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: bluegill babies OK in pond?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Viggen

bluegill babies OK in pond?
« on: August 07, 2006, 21:04:38 »
I have 2 ponds in my yard connected to a little pump which circulates the water.  In my lower pond the previous owner had 2 bluegill which decided to have babies this year.  Last count there were 4-6 babies in the lower pond & I realized a few days ago that I have 4 babies in the upper pond. 

Is it OK to keep them?  I only have goldfish in the ponds & I might get a few koi one of these days. 

300g tub o fish

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: bluegill babies OK in pond?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 22:00:46 »
I would say it would be ok as long as the goldies are about the same size as the bluegills. The bluegill by nature is a more aggressive fish, but should be ok. They are actually very beautiful fish if you take a good look at them.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 23:41:51 »
they will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth.  luckily they have relatively small mouths.  if you dont mind them keeping the koi/goldfih population under control, then leave them.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 23:56:02 »
that's what I have been hearing & I think it would be a good thing if they keep the new babies as food!  The goldfish in the pond with the adult bluegill are all smaller however they get along fine.

The upper pond at this time the bluegill are small so hopefully it will all be good

& I agree, definantly cool looking

I cannot wait to make these ponds bigger......     
300g tub o fish