2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY leds  (Read 1583 times)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
DIY leds
« on: December 09, 2011, 18:07:04 »
Well, took the plunge today and ordered my leds from Rapid led :party0040:. Kicked around getting the Bridgelux (as they do get pretty decent reviews) from Aquastyle but decided to pony up the extra 100 bucks and get the Crees. Heat sinks from Heatsink USA.
Hopefully won't take too long to get here and I'll have something to do while I'm off for the holidays.
Any tips greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers

Offline referinohio

• Adult
Re: DIY leds
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:44:48 »
Here are all the goodies. Woo hoo! Heatsinks a little heavier than expected.
Got the fans at Parts Express for 4.25 ea. 10.50 for the adjustable voltage power supplies for the fans. A bit noisy so I might run them at 9volts instead of 12. Will have to see how loud when in the canopy and with tv going and such. They do move a ton of air.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:52:09 by referinohio »

Offline forgiven1973

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 00:35:42 »
anymore updates on how its going?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 17:15:48 »
Well, took the plunge today and ordered my leds from Rapid led :party0040:. Kicked around getting the Bridgelux (as they do get pretty decent reviews) from Aquastyle but decided to pony up the extra 100 bucks and get the Crees. Heat sinks from Heatsink USA.
Hopefully won't take too long to get here and I'll have something to do while I'm off for the holidays.
Any tips greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers

For 99% of applications, Cree's are the ONLY way to go!
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...