2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3560 times)

Kaylyn

Hello
« on: November 01, 2008, 21:52:10 »
Let me take a few minutes and introduce myself and my daughter. We created the account together under her name. My name is Loman. I happened across this site the other day and signed up and have been lurking around since then. For the most part it seems like people here are friendly and helpful.

I have had several freshwater tanks in the past but had really stopped altogether when I moved several years ago and placed everything in storage. I currently have two small tanks, a 20 gallon freshwater and a 24 gallon salt FOWLR system. I had always been afraid to try the salt system so I have been fairly conservative and have not tried any coral to date. I have had reasonable luck with both. My intent with the salt tank was always to learn a little bit so that when I finished my basement I could build in the two 75 gallon tanks I had from my prior freshwater days and set up a marine tank of some sort. At this time I am still developing the specifics of what I am going to do in the area but plan to set up at least a limited reef. Given I have a day job and I am building these tanks in as I finish my basement I anticipate it will take me some time to get them operational but I am starting to plan them and purchase the needed hardware. My focus at the moment is to determine what type lighting will be appropriate in this context. I would welcome any comments and recommendations on that or any other hardware including preferred brands as well as ones to avoid. Thanks and I look forward to being on the site. 

Offline verper

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 22:13:26 »
Welcome to both of you!

As far as your lighting question, it will depend on what type of coral you will eventually want to keep.  Softies, many LPS, and even a few SPS do very well under PC, VHO, or T5 lighting (all some form of high output flourscent lighting).  Something in the 200-300w range is normal for a 75gal.  You just won't get the fastest growth from them.  The other main option is Metal Halides.  These are the main option if you are going with a SPS dominate tank.  Many of your Acropora's need very intense light to grow and color up.

One point of concern about your older freshwater tanks - did you use copper in them.  Coral are very sensitive to copper and some say that there is no way to get it out once it has been used in a tank.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 22:51:32 »
Hello to the two of you!  We do have a few younger members, so we're glad to add another one! 

I really can't expand on what Scott (verper) said.  Lighting really depends on what you want to keep.  I suggest looking around in local fish stores, seeing what you like, and basing your lighting around that.  I can't stress patience and research enough!!  :)  (And everyone will tell you that I do plenty of research and have no patience!)

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 23:12:22 »
WELCOME,

SCOTT AND NIKKI GOT YA COVERED ON THE LIGHTING. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU ENJOY THE CLUB. 

apelaston

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 23:47:06 »
Welcome. . u will find so many opinions on lights. . . i have power compacts and they do me well but will need to upgrade soon. . . if u go metal halide from the start u will be set for good. . .just remember in this hobby and many will vouch for this. . .whatever u want do it one step better than planned and one size bigger. . .it will pay off in the end!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 00:06:40 »
Welcome Kaylyn & Loman, glad you found us.  :D Hope you enjoy the forums and join the club. There is a lot of information here and knowledgeable friendly folks.

bigray

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 00:54:22 »
Hello,and welcome. Lighting is all in what you would like to do. Reefd Up was right, research, research and more research. Then a whole lot of patience. great to have you.

Kaylyn

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 14:47:08 »
Thanks all for the kind welcome. I can certainly understand what you are saying regarding the need for research and patience. I somewhat enjoy the research aspect so that is not a big problem for me. Patience, well that may be a different challenge - if I could only develop patience a little faster it would be a lot easier.

I am leaning toward the T5s for some reason but could not really explain why I am thinking that way. I could also envision supplementing it eventually with some metal hallides too.

I had not thought much about the CU aspect but do not think I ever used it in the main tank. I kept several of the large snails and inverts which would have been toxic even in fresh water. I was usually pretty good about treating outside the display tank and had a fairly nice build in system that accommodated a separate small QT tank. I am sure it will be dilute enough that I could not measure for it so I guess I will have to take my chances and start out very slow to be positive regarding the CU. Thanks for the reminder

quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 15:07:29 »
HELLO,  ;D

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 19:49:12 »
Welcome...
Dayton - 45459