2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wanting to come back to a reef... starting over completely...  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Re: Wanting to come back to a reef... starting over completely...
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 19:24:39 »
If my little brother doesn't buy it for his freshwater tank I'll let you know. I'm not really sure why he wants it his tank is not even planted. The t5 fixture has new bulbs as of tomorrow lol.

Cool... Let me know if he takes it or not!

I have my t5's on my cichlid tank but the ballast blew a cap. I need to replace that and should be good again. My plants have been doing good with just pc's over the tank so I figured I would move the t5's to my 4ft tank and reef again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 19:30:49 »
There are a few of us that have been using the MS 120 watts we got in a group buy. They're working great and I would highly recommend them.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=71&category_id=10

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 20:50:40 »
There are a few of us that have been using the MS 120 watts we got in a group buy. They're working great and I would highly recommend them.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=71&category_id=10

I would love to have two of those! Then I could keep my t5's on my fresh water tank. Doubtful, but any plans on a group buy or a discount on those? Trying to save money for a good controller!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 16:00:16 »
They just had a special for $149, call them and ask.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:43:29 »
The more that I have been thinking about this the more I want to setup my 75 instead of the 35 gal.  In order to do that I will need to drill the tank.  I want to do a 3 stand pipe (beans animal) down to the sump.  I want to do that but not have a overflow box in the tank that spans from the bottom to the top.  Instead I want to a tray that spans the top of the tank.  What do the dimensions need to be for that overflow tray?  Also, I will need to drill a hole in the middle of the tank just below that tray for my return line.  Will 4 holes in the back of the 75 cause a strength issue?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 13:02:29 »
Also, any recommendations on controllers?  I want to be able to view my readings online or on my phone or tablet.  If possible... I don't want to pay through the nose, but I am sure that will happen to get a good controller. HAH  Rather pay now than pay in the future when my tank goes belly up on me!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 16:12:45 »
Quest for info here... this is a look at the primary corals I want to grow in my tank.  I know a couple are pretty broad, but I will narrow them down later.  I am missing some info for proper water chem and care.  Can anyone help fill in the blanks here for me and let me know what I need to pay attention to that I am overlooking so far?

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Viggen

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 16:27:19 »
heard LOTS of great things about the Apex controllers...... that's the direction I plan to go when money allows
300g tub o fish

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 16:33:52 »
heard LOTS of great things about the Apex controllers...... that's the direction I plan to go when money allows

I was looking at those myself today as well as ReefKeepers from Digital Aqautics... just not sure yet which way to go.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 22:02:58 »
not trying to take over your thread, but I have a reefkeeper lite and a apex controller sitting on a shelf. Would consider selling. make reasonable offer

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 22:06:57 »
Apex all the way, as far as I am concerned. I had a reefkeeper years ago, and sold it because it was so difficult for me to program. Apex, is a piece of cake.
John