2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sean's Basement Beast...  (Read 3609 times)

seand

Sean's Basement Beast...
« on: September 06, 2007, 00:02:09 »
A number of you guys know me from CORA and GCAS...  I finally joined Ohio Reef, so I feel like I can post a thread in here...

This is from Christmas last year and shows the old lights

Here's a higher res version where you can really make out the coralline algae on the glass:
http://www.reefjunk.com/photos/albums/userpics/reef_frnt.jpg

I like big Caps...

The tank is just shy of 7 ft long.  Most of the pictured caps have grown significantly in the 8+ months since that pic.  The 2 biggest are out of the water.  Today, the Green one on the right is easily 2 ft across (again).  Last year I fragged well over a square foot off that thing.  Well over...

I use Streams and Waveboxes for in-tank flow - lately, just the waveboxes, although I want to put the streams back in to try clockwise and counterclockwise tidal style flows.

Light in the pic were 4x250W Phoenix DE on HQI ballasts.  Shortly after that pic, I switched to 2x400W Radiums on HQI ballasts in LumenMax2 pendants.  Love them...  Both setups utilized light movers to help those lamps cover a larger area than they should.  In a non-light-mover SPS setup, I should really have a minimum of about 8x250W over that tank.

Photo period is about 8 hours a day - no staggering or anything like that.
The frag tray (currently 2x250W) is on a reverse photo period for about 8 hours.

In the next room I keep my equipment...
GEO Calcium Reactor
GEO Dart NW Skimmer
120 gallon sump with a Sequence Dart return pump
DIY 90 gallon acrylic - 3 section frag tray
DIY Kalkwasser or GFO reactor

I have 2 more auxillary tanks, but I've disconnected them.  I keep them topped off and add skimmate occasionally to feed them.  I will be rearranging these in the near future...
120 gallon Cheato tank
120 gallon Cryptic Sponge tank

This winter, I hope to convert my old 180 into a 2/3 frag tank + 1/3 cheato tank using my used Radiums and a light mover.  If I do it right, I can partition the tank in half vertically and put the sponge rocks in the bottom half where they will get less flow and almost no light - and do their cryptic thing (consuming silicates and bacteria and a low flow refuge for pods).

Then I can sell the frag tray (Brian Miller's old one - which has 3 seperate 24x24x10 sections with independent input and drain lines).

Once that's done, I want to convert the two remaining 120 gallons into a manual water change system - similar to something I saw in a few Tank of the Month threads on RC.

I also want to take about 1/2 the rock out of my tank so I can re-scape the tank and lower the big caps so you can see the real color from the front (rather than the top down view).

Oh, before I forget... 

One of the best pieces of equipment I've ever bought for the tank was an Air Exchanger that can handle about 12,000 cubic feet of living space.  I plumbed it to the outdoors and into the sump room (which as adjacent to the tank room in the basement).  It is not plumbed as a whole house unit, but probably could come close in my house.  It is about 90% efficient at recovering heat that would be lost with a simple vent fan.

Normally, heat and reef tanks don't go together, but not only does this thing do a good job of keeping the heat in the house from October to April; it keeps the humitidy very low.  It has the surprising bonus of controlling my evaporation rate - and thus tank temperature.  The first time I used it, it made the air so dry that my tank evaporated way too much water and dropped 10 degrees overnight.  Boy was I surprised.  Now I've gotten good at adjusting the unit to maintain low humidity and a stable tank temp (and added a few heaters that I never thought I'd need).

No more condensation on the windows upstairs, no chance for mold, and a reasonable heating bill.

Offline aquavista99

Re: Sean's Basement Beast...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 00:34:42 »
Very nice reef, Sean. Enjoyed the BMW European Delivery pictures as well!

seand

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:25:54 »
Aaaaah... That was a great trip.
If anyone ever buys a new European car, ask about Euro-delivery.  Most will offer you 7% off invoice (or more if you're a good negotiator).  I ended up getting $5K off on that car - which pretty much paid for the trip and the camera.

My favorite fish pic from that trip:

The Genoa Aquarium in Italy

If you want to see another reef gallery (I have way too many websites) of pics that I haven't moved yet, check this one:
http://www.tanklights.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3
or this one:
http://www.reefjunk.com/photos/

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:13 »
Sounds like you have an awesome tank!  When I get some time I'll look at somepics.  :)

bigfalcon36

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:48:35 »
Sean can you please post some info on the Air Exchanger, I am finishing my basement now and am looking into some humidity control options for it.  Any others with info please post...thanks

Travis

seand

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 22:16:35 »
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Air_Exchanger/air_exchanger.html

There are better and cheaper places to get these, but this was the first link I knew off hand...

Essentially there's 2 ducted loops - each with a blower, and heat transfer core.

It only works when it's less humid outside compared to inside, so mid fall to mid spring is usually a good time to use it.  In the summer, it's good on cool nights, or just to get some fresh air into the house (but your AC may have to work overtime on the humidity).

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:03:58 »
Ok...update this thread!!