2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Nuisance algae!!!!!  (Read 3913 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Nuisance algae!!!!!
« on: November 15, 2013, 20:52:07 »
Help.
I have a brown algae that started on the sand and has now moved into the rocks.  It blows off the rocks easy enough but it keeps coming back every day.  I have ordered new cartridges for my or/di units and am running gfo in my reactor.  Once I get the new cartridges I am planning on doing a large water change.

Any other insight?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Nuisance algae!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 00:07:14 »
You could try cutting back on the time you leave your lights on.

Has your tank been running a long time? Kinda sounds like diatom algae.
Brent McCloskey

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 18:05:36 »
I agree.
Anyone else with some insight?!?  PLEASE!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 18:32:34 »
If it is diatoms, shouldn't be that big of a deal. They usually balance out after a while. As with most algae it sounds like a nutrient issue. Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates? Are you growing macro algae or anything like that. What type of skimmer if any are you using and how much gunk is it pulling out of the tank? As always there are generally a few things to consider. Any pics to make sure it is diatoms and not something else.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 20:14:04 »
I have had possibly the same issue for about a year now. I don't grow macro algae and have struggled with my phosphates. The sand is the strangest thing. Every day when the lights turn on the sand is fairly white, by the end of the light cycle it is copper/brown color. It is like it dies off and comes back every day. I have tried siphoning the sand every water change for months no luck. Went to the hands off sand approach, no change. It has gotten on the rocks as well, an urchin helps it out a bit but can't keep up. Hope growing of macro algae will help. I am not sure if this is the same but I can relate to the frustration as it takes away from the beauty significantly

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 21:49:56 »
If you want an urchin I have one for sale.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
Nuisance algae!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:34:38 »
I have had possibly the same issue for about a year now. I don't grow macro algae and have struggled with my phosphates. The sand is the strangest thing. Every day when the lights turn on the sand is fairly white, by the end of the light cycle it is copper/brown color. It is like it dies off and comes back every day. I have tried siphoning the sand every water change for months no luck. Went to the hands off sand approach, no change. It has gotten on the rocks as well, an urchin helps it out a bit but can't keep up. Hope growing of macro algae will help. I am not sure if this is the same but I can relate to the frustration as it takes away from the beauty significantly
I'm fighting with this now ! Almost to the point I'm ready to tear down. Iv done the same as you  with no luck even tried red slim remover that worked for a few days . Right back it come .

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:46:32 by BuckeyeFan »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:48:46 »
Are these all shallow sand beds?   Less than 3 or 4" deep.   If so, they should be cleaned regularly.  And I would also have a ton of sand dwelling cleaners.

Sand Sifting Stars
Sand Cleaning Cumbers
Nassarius Snails
etc.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:52 »
In my display tank I have about 1.5" of sand. There is 4 sea cucumbers, one sand sifiting starfish and 2 conch's. In the basement tanks I had 3" sand beds. They became such a mess I had to pull them out about 6 month's ago.

Offline PlayeroPuertoRico

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:19:49 »
Has anyone tried dosing reef biofuel? Durring the cycle I start getting that brown diatom/algae all over everyrhing, then when the green stuff starts showing up I start using reef biofuel and I never get brown or green algae (minus the glass) only problems I've had with it is cyano comes and goes in a small patch every few months. But nothing long term. Supposedly it gets rid of all that stuff naturaly with the aid of the skimmer

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:10 »
Though it takes about 3 weeks to start working, buy u litteraly see the algae starve, turn white and wither away

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:58:41 »
Just one form of Carbon Dosing.   I have used many different forms of Carbon Dosing.   Liquids and Pellet.   All of them can cause cyano problems if you get the dose rate too high.   If you try carbon dosing, be very patient, don't force the issue by overdosing, or you will get a bigger problem.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:50 »
I haven't done any carbon dosing. Something to think about but to do that I would have to lower alk considerably. That is risky having run higher alk for many years.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 11:17:46 »
Change is definitely a concern, You might be able to just do a small dose to get control of some nutrients, but not drive it to the Ultra Low stage where elevated ALK is a problem

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 14:08:57 »
Ok so here is my initially plan, leaving lights off for a day or so (I know that's not enough but hopefully it will slow it down).  Going to do replace filters in ro/di and change 50 gallons or so when it's ready.
Try to suction out as much as can without sucking up too much sand.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 14:15:53 »
Do you have a tds meter John?

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 14:32:01 »
In my opinion lowering the lights is one of the least effective ways of eliminating the algae problem because its just a temporary fix not something that will work long term. Can you guys explain the high alk effects you are reffering to? I have used carbon dosing including vodka and reef biofuel for years and my alkalinity has never been a problem, I would like to know more about this

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 14:58:34 »
It's not the carbon doseing, but the resulting low nutrient system.  If you have ultra low nutrients, alkalinity higher than normal can lead to problems.   With SPS, would lead to burning of the tips.   High would be say higher than about 9. 

Offline Viggen

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 15:04:36 »
When I would mess with my protein skimmer the next day I would get a layer of red/brown algae.  It would cover 70% of my substrate and slowly climb up the rocks. 

I usually set my skimmer to skim black coffee looking skimmate and thought I would try going to a clearer more tea colored skimmate.  Every time I have done this (5-6 times I would say) the following day the algae bloom would occur.

This is on a fowlr and I do not use ro/di water.... Just straight out the tap. 
300g tub o fish

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 23:43:09 »
Still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
I have done a water change of 60 gallons.
Tonight I measured the nitrate and nitrite both are 0 or ery close.
Ammonia is 0.25 at most (probably less)
kh 8.9 dkh
Alk 3.19 meg/L

I changed out my filters in my ro/di unit, but not totally sure it is set up correctly.  I bought it from a guy that I got the whole set up from, and I am assuming it is

Any other suggestions?  uugggghhhh I am so frustrated from my tank looking like crap!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 20:18:34 »
Is this a Matt algae or is it snotty like mucous? Mucous is brown is actually a bacteria.... Matt algae are just that algae.... Phosphates are a major concern.... Nitrates also.... Get a hdmi monitor and hook up to your Rodi ... They are cheap on ebay... That way you know what your water quality is coming out of your filter... Do you have pics? Brown slime certainly can be caused by poor light and circulation issues.. They are photosynthetic and decreasing your light may help... If you do not have many corals turn out your lights for a couple days...red slime cure does work on brown slime also.... Water quality is the issue.... Sand beds can be nutrient sumps..... That is why I do not have more 1.5" of sand and many sand stirrers .... Run carbon and Gfo ..... Change 20% of your water weekly until cleared.... It will go away.... Keep it from encroaching on your coral by using a turkey baster blowing it away.
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!