2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lime Green Algae  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
Lime Green Algae
« on: April 30, 2014, 23:45:22 »
Well, I first noticed some of this yesterday, I tested a couple of water parameters which didn't seem too bad. 2->3 ppm Nitrates, with 0.04 ppm Phosphate.  There seems to be even more spots of this algae now on the rocks.

Some quick googling seems to suggest it might be a precursor to coralline, cyanobacteria, hair algae, or green slime algae.  Anyone recognize this from the photo?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Lime Green Algae
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 23:54:30 »
I had some coralline that looked the same way. Is is encrusted like coralline?

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 00:42:32 »
 :-\ My finger didn't detect a difference between the brown portions and the green portion.  Nor did my fingernail seem to be able to find any purchase on the green stuff. 

I have reduced my photo period to 6 hours (I figure my macro algae will still need some light).  Currently I am only seeing this green inside the footprint of the lamp.  I don't see any yet outside the cone of direct light.  I also skipped feeding/phyto dosing today, maybe that will encourage the hermits to try it for food if they can.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:31 »
I would say I to be coralline. I had quite a bit green coralline in my 180 when I first set it up. Then I got a long spine urchin. It ate it all.