2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 3436 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
What are these?
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:52 »
Have found several of these on my yellow scroll coral and have sucked them off with a turkey baster.  The coral was dipped before placement in Revive; I think I might have these in other places but harder to see on other corals. 

This image has been altered to allow you to see it better.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: What are these?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:20:13 »
It almost looks like a small mushroom.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:24:44 »
No, I don't think so.  They have legs or some kind of fin "foot".  They're about 1.5mm across, are white, and move very slowly when touched.  They're oval in shape with a small flat tail, and I can only see them on this coral.  I think they might be some kind of flatworm or nudibranch, but I don't know enough on the subject to be able to tell.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 20:51:04 »
Can you get one in a glass container, and shoot a picture from the bottom.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 21:47:53 »
Not now.  I had Rich cut it off of the stone plug and then I dipped it in Revive for a while - like 30 minutes.  3 more came off, now I don't see any.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 23:23:14 »
They look like montipora eating nudibranch. I thought you had recently lost your monti cap? If so these may have been the culprit.

Does it look similar to this?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:15:47 »
or could have been a zoa eating nudi
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:25 »
Might be Phestilla sibogae, or a close relative from that genus. This genus known to eat Turbinaria Remiformis and well as porities  & montipora species. I have had them at my shop before but I don't know that I ever properly identified what specie it was for sure. Seemed like if I had monties with them and I removed the montipora from the tank they would then go after the turbianria.

Joel

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 13:25:25 »
So if I have them, how do I get rid of them?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 13:30:22 »
determine what they are, determine what  they eat and remove their food source.

With no host they will die off

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 21:07:47 »
Kattz,

From what you described, it sounds like you have a montipora eating nudibranchs outbreak. Montipora eating nudibranchs feed on the tissue of corals from the montipora genus and can wipe out all your montipora corals within weeks, not months, unless treated and/or removed.  These are real nasty pests that typically start feeding at the base of the coral or a bare spot within or near a crevice where they can hide.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 21:15:35 »
I can't keep a monti alive more than about 3 weeks, and they tend to just bleach and fade away.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 21:29:53 »
So if I have them, how do I get rid of them?

QT all new corals first, sorry dips are not enough (emphasis added). Second, as Joel suggested, the easiest treatment method would be to remove all your existing montipora corals from your reef and DO NOT add any new monitpora corals for a long time....up to 4 to 6 months. If your remove the pest's food source (ie, the montipora corals), the montipora eating nudibranchs will starve to death after about two to three months or so.

If you want to treat your existing corals, you will need to first set up a separate quarantine tank then you will have to treat and kill all the remaining nudibranchs and their eggs. Iodine dips – (ex. lugols iodine, Tropic Marin pro-coral cure, Seachem reef dip) can kill the adult nudibranchs, but will not harm the their eggs, which would need to be manually removed or scrapped off the coral. Another treatment option for chemical baths is Levamisole, a drug created to treat worm infestations in animals, which is available by prescription only.

I will be giving a Coral Pest and Quarantine Presentation on Feb 17th to the members of the Cincinnati Reefkeepers Society. If you would like to learn more about SPS pests and how to identify, treat and quarantine new arrivals, feel free to attend the meeting.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 00:57:04 »
It's because you have been living with montipora eating nudibranchs for a while. They are very nasty pests that can wipe out healthy corals in weeks.

I can't keep a monti alive more than about 3 weeks, and they tend to just bleach and fade away.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 23:48:20 »
Kevin has brought over a couple montiporas (forest fire, purple haze I believe) they did not apear to be suffering from nudis. All the tissue was intact they were just baddly faded. I did dip them and there was no sign off them. Thats not to say the others in his tank are not suffering from them but these did not seem to be. I know the monti eating nudis are small but if he has an infestation that bad adults will be easy to id with just a magnifying glass.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 23:54:16 »
That is good news for you Kev. A pest scare early on is good to have. Most of us have not been that lucky and have learned the hard way.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:06 »
Kevin has brought over a couple montiporas (forest fire, purple haze I believe) they did not apear to be suffering from nudis. All the tissue was intact they were just baddly faded. I did dip them and there was no sign off them. Thats not to say the others in his tank are not suffering from them but these did not seem to be. I know the monti eating nudis are small but if he has an infestation that bad adults will be easy to id with just a magnifying glass.

My diagnosis was based on the picture kattz posted above and his description of the pests as follows: "They have legs or some kind of fin "foot".  They're about 1.5mm across, are white, and move very slowly when touched."  I believe Katts also said he previously dipped the corals in Revive, which may have knocked off all the adults by the time you observed the corals?  If it were my reef, I would stay away from adding any new montipora corals at this time just to be safe.

And if Kattz is interested, I can stop by and check out your reef in person, if you like? I have a solid purple Idaho grape montipora cap that is growing out of control in my reef.  I could donate a large frag of this coral and place it in your tank and check back after a week or so for verify if you have montipora eating nudibranchs or not. Just let me know if you are interested.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 16:28:57 »
Aquavista, I would be very interested in this.
And if Kattz is interested, I can stop by and check out your reef in person, if you like? I have a solid purple Idaho grape montipora cap that is growing out of control in my reef.  I could donate a large frag of this coral and place it in your tank and check back after a week or so for verify if you have montipora eating nudibranchs or not. Just let me know if you are interested.

Rich, it wouldn't be until tomorrow PM (Tuesday) that I could swing by.  I've been watching these corals very closely, and never see anything on them.

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 17:14:41 »
Meeeee too bring one on down!!! lol.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 20:10:44 »
How about you pick up the frag donation from my reef first then I will swing by your place a week or so thereafter to closely inspect your reef for pests. I am located in the Centerville area. You can PM me for directions.

Aquavista, I would be very interested in this.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 20:35:57 »
Will do.  Thanks for the offer.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 21:08:57 »
The cap would be a good test .They seem to really attract the nudi's

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 21:55:25 »
I've got some red monti cap now that I'll bring over.  Dana will be with me...