2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: anyone have experience with Brooklynellosis?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
anyone have experience with Brooklynellosis?
« on: March 05, 2009, 19:52:00 »
I just got back from another business trip (ugh) and something is up with 1 of my clownfish now (its always something).  looks like a fine white dusting, but too small to be ich. it is eating and swimming fine, i read that  Brooklynellosis would kill too fast and the fish would not be acting ok if it was indeed brooklynellosis???  My wife just left town with the camera so no pics.

Anyone have experience with Brooklynellosis?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline verper

Re: anyone have experience with Brooklynellosis?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 19:58:09 »
My clowns had it once, long ago.  It will look like spots of white.  Mine also was rubbing itself against the rock and breathing more rapidly which is what I noticed first.  Easy to fix with medication - I used formalin.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 20:07:37 »
I read about alot of slime, Mine doesnt look like that.  Did yours have slime?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 20:11:09 »
I have some quick cure laying around.  did you dip or long term treat?

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 20:13:46 »
I don't remember any slime.  Maybe it hadn't progressed far enough.  I put the fish into a quarintine tank and treated it for a few days I think.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 20:26:56 »
as luck would have it someone is borrowing my QT... could i dip him and then move him to a bucket of SW to get most the formalin off and then return to the DT?

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 20:52:08 »
I had clowns that got what I believe was brookynella. They had a whitish coating on them and they were dead within a couple of days after I saw the white.

Offline verper

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 20:53:59 »
as luck would have it someone is borrowing my QT... could i dip him and then move him to a bucket of SW to get most the formalin off and then return to the DT?

I don't really know but I would treat him anyway.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 21:47:50 »
I have successfully treated my clownfish for this parasite. It can and will kill your clown in as little as 36 hours. Depending on the fish it may stay alive twice that length if you are lucky. I did not have any issues with this spreading to other fish. The parasite came in with a trio of anthias (2 of which died quickly from it). I lost my black clown (died in 36 hours from first sign of symptoms). I was able to treat my orange in the early stages. A single 15 minute dip cured him

I was able to get a hold of a 37% formaldehyde solution. I did a 15 minute dip at around 3mL in 3 gallons of water. Please do a google search and find the exact dosage. There are only two sites out there that have specific instructions. You should be able to find them. This solution is powerful enough to not need a QT - it literally zaps the parasite. A 15 minute dip then back in the tank.

Formaldehyde is nasty and toxic. It is very stressful on the fish. The intense dip mentioned above is appropriate for a fish in the early stages. Signs are hyperactivity and patches of white slime, usually near the gill - the fish will still be eating just fine - you will see the clown dart infront of powerheads trying to get the slime out of their gills. This parasite gets into the blood and starves the fish of oxygen.

In later stages a less concentration can be used over much longer periods of time. Signs of fish in the later stages include loss of appetite, swimming towards the surface, generally sluggishness.

If you do not act quickly you fish will die. Be careful with the formaldehyde, its potent. As far as I know this is the only reliable treatment.

It is likely that you will not be able to get a hold of this substance. I have a vial that was not so easily obtained!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 21:51:51 by Logzor »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 22:17:29 »
i have a bottle of quick cure from my goldfish days. ingredients are formalin, malachite green.  Will that work?

If this is something else, how bad is the dip if i misdiagnosed.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 22:21:11 »
I just looked at him again.  I dont really see slime, Is it very noticable?  He does have stringy poop hanging and a bunch of very small white dots over entire body.  I wish i had my camera.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 22:39:57 »
It is tough to say. I would do some online searches to try and match it up. Whatever treatment you have on hand is not likely to work. QT at low salinity is the best option for now.

The dip is harsh but a healthy fish should do fine it in. This dip will cure just about any parasite.

Have you added any new fish to your system in the last few weeks?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 22:48:34 »
Have you added any new fish to your system in the last few weeks?
........... ^-^

yea i have been paranoid since. 

Man i hate sick fish.  why is brookynella vs ich vs velvet so hard to determine.  I found some good pics of Velvet that look alot like what i got. I just dont see any slimy patchs like brook.  I am going to try a FW dip.  treated Tap water is pretty close to my PH will that work?

Now that i know what velvet looks like i think i have seen it over time on my Psudochromis's fins.  At least that is alot less scary than brook.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 22:57:17 »
A freshwater dip will not cure brook. So if you know it is brook then I would not bother.

I am not comfortable with FW dips. If you have done them in the past and think it is marine velvet or something else it is worth a shot. Keep trying to identify what your fish has. Brook is not easy to ID until later stages.

Watch for darting / hyperactivity or swimming in the stream of powerheads. This is a sure sign it is brook. You will know certain by tomorrow, it becomes acute very quickly.

I do not know the treatments for marine velvet - I do know that formaldehyde can be used on any parasite, though. It is extremely effective.

Brook tends to only affect clownfish. Although, my anthias seemed to have succumbed to it. What fish have you added - were there any issues with them? It is possible a fish tolerate to brook could have carried it into your system without any symptoms.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 23:22:51 »
I tried to catch him for about 5 mins an gave up, figured i was only stressing him more, I will try agian when the lights go out.  I am not sure what it is?? there is not whitish grey slime coating like brook (yet).  I did see a few pics of velvet that looked exactly like what i have seen on the psuedochomis's tailfin in the last month.  Its very easy to see the white "dust" on the black and white clown.

I bought some green chomises and LMB and 6line in the BIITB.  They were quarantined for a week (6line died the first night), but i had problems with the QT so i had to move them to the DT (mistake of course)

If velvet is correct, i have seen several cycles of it on my psuedochomis.  Interesting that only 1 clown of the pair is covered, they sleep in the same area and are always together.  Am i correct that velvet is much less dangerous? If i can't catch him tonight i will check back tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 23:30:34 »
I would just hope that it is marine velvet. I do not think that it gets much worse than brook. Do what research you can on the best cures for that disease. I believe marine velvet will sicken other fish, unlike brook, which typically sticks to clownfish. In a sense it is better for the clownfish but worse for the rest of your tank!

Darken the room for two hours then try and catch him. Having two people is better, one to scare the fish into the net...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 23:44:47 »
did a freshwater dip for about 6 mins (should have been longer?). looked the exact same as before. seems to be ok back in the tank for now.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 00:32:08 »
6 minutes sounds like enough time. Although I have not attempted a FW dip before. Keep us posted.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 14:03:08 »
Looks better today, most of the dots gone (maybe simply because of the life cycle?) still acting normal for now.

This brings up an idea.  I know UV is used in systems, but what about electricity?  No company would want to touch that with a 10 foot pole, but think about it.  A device that siphons off an amount of water to a separate isolated container, then shock treats it to kill pest and returns it to the tank.  Would that kill the cysts? seems like you could have high turnover to kill free swimmers without massive water changes.  Then again, no company would put themselves at the liability of developing "shock treatment" equipment. 

Seem plausible if it could be done safe?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 15:11:16 »
I had the same problem with my clowns when I purchased them. It took a couple of freshwater dips to cure the problem. Good luck, and don't worry it will work out.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 15:44:20 »
you dip everyday? or how often and how many mins.  It varies depending on which site you look at

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 16:08:28 »
If you FW dip worked then it is not brook. Your clown would be dead by now otherwise (or struggling at the top of the water).

I am glad to hear it is going alright. Keep us posted.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 16:31:13 »
Definately doesn't sound like it was brook. Mine were gone before I realized there was a problem.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 17:49:50 »
yea i think its very light case of velvet. I was just at joel's and there is a clown with the exact same symptoms in one of his tanks.  I'll call tomorrow and see what he says it is.  Still eating, swimming, and acting normal.  I am lucky for now.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 20:54:19 »
Pretty sure its not brook but reguardless of the title of the post i am still fighting something.  I came home yesterday and found 2 chormises lathargic (never showed any prior signs) I FW dipped them and into a hospital tank, but they didnt make the night. 

Back to the clown, i notice this on sunday, FW dipped and back in the DT.  He has never acted differntly.  Always eats and swims normally. No pysical signs except the dots.  Should i dip him again or leave him be an see what happends.  the HT is kinda makeshift, i dont have a sponge filter populated yet, so i think that would cause more stress over the long run.  I think my choice as of now is to keep feeding him selcon, vitachem, garlic with all the food.  Expericanced suggestions?