2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Help me setup a QT Tank.  (Read 3931 times)

David Schmaus

Help me setup a QT Tank.
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:09:12 »
Well my 40 gallon (FOWLR) has ich and I didn't have a QT tank.  (STUPID)   So I have the fish that made it out of the 40.  From what I have ready I need to keep it fishless for 60 days. 

So I need to setup a QT tank.  This will be a QT tank for the 40 only.  I'm thinking I could us a 10 gallon for this. 

I guess here are some of the questions I have.

1.  I need a shopping list..   Tank, heater, hangon filter?,
2. Since its new do I use water out of the established infected tank or not.

The plan is to use this 60 days to clear the 40 and to qt a couple new fish that will go into the 40 down the road.

Thanks

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Help me setup a QT Tank.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04:37 »
The size of the fish you will be putting into the QT tank is probably the most important determining factor. How big are they, how many, and what species?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:19 »
Another important factor in setting up a QT is cycleing it.  Ideally we would all keep a sponge filter running in our sump so we could take some tank water, a heater, and the populated spongefilter and instantly have a cycled QT ready for fish on a moments notice
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:36 »
+1

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:49 »
Another important factor in setting up a QT is cycleing it.  Ideally we would all keep a sponge filter running in our sump so we could take some tank water, a heater, and the populated spongefilter and instantly have a cycled QT ready for fish on a moments notice

+2 ... WOW the sponge filter is a great idea ( i missed that one in the manual  :laugh: )
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:28 »
They are super cheap and only cost pennies a day to run the air pump

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 14:57:55 »
the sponge filter work well
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 15:56:33 »
Quarantine set up and method is covered in this thread

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=1761.0

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 16:26:40 »
I personally wouldn't bother with taking the fish out of their tank, and putting them into another tank.  It just stresses them out more.  I would recommend the following:

1. Getting a cleaner wrasse (I usually sell them for $15-$20) if you have 3+ fish. 
2. Use fresh garlic in your fish food.
3. Make sure you are using good live or frozen food.
4. Have plenty of places (live rock, decorations, pvc pipes, etc.) for the fish to hide and rest.
5. Keep the lights on as little as possible.

You want to keep the fish well fed, rested, and relaxed as possible.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 17:11:18 »
Do all your fish show symptoms?

David Schmaus

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 17:52:04 »
Quarantine set up and method is covered in this thread

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=1761.0

Awesome thanks..

David Schmaus

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 18:01:47 »
Do all your fish show symptom

I only had two clowns and they both died last night.  I bought a 20 long with a hob filter.   I'm going to take some filter media out of my main tank and fill it with the water out of the 40. 

The plan now is for the main tank to go 60 days without fish to host the ich.   That should leave it clear.

I am going to get two new clowns and put them in the QT for 60 days and follow Joels info from the other post as well as some other info I picked up on RC. It will be a combo of Fresh water dip and Hypo.

Thanks for all the help

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 18:18:37 »
Just watch your ammonia closely and be ready to water change if it rises.  Wouldnt want to put more stress on fish in the QT than you would have in the DT.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 19:36:40 »
I personally wouldn't bother with taking the fish out of their tank, and putting them into another tank.  It just stresses them out more.  I would recommend the following:

1. Getting a cleaner wrasse (I usually sell them for $15-$20) if you have 3+ fish. 
2. Use fresh garlic in your fish food.
3. Make sure you are using good live or frozen food.
4. Have plenty of places (live rock, decorations, pvc pipes, etc.) for the fish to hide and rest.
5. Keep the lights on as little as possible.

You want to keep the fish well fed, rested, and relaxed as possible.

I have some problems with this advise. I don't completely disagree with some of these suggestions but I think that it could (and should) be elaborated on. This almost suggests to not have a quarantine system. Not having a quarantine system up, running and stable is one of the most encountered mistakes I have seen in this hobby. A quarantine system is not just for when you get a new fish. This situation is a great example of the importance of having one on stand by ready to go.

"I personally wouldn't bother with taking the fish out of their tank, and putting them into another tank.  It just stresses them out more.";

This is going to depend on the severity of the outbreak. If it is a minor parasite outbreak or very early on into the parasite outbreak, then, sometimes leaving the fish in the aquarium and performing water changes and soaking the food in vitamin supplements (such as selcon & vitachem) and soaking the food in garlic extract can help. Water changes will decrease the population of the parasite & improve the overall quality of the environment. The vitamin supplements & garlic extract can strengthen the fishes immune system to help naturally fight off the parasite. However, if there is a large amount of parasites on the fish or is affecting the fish in some manner (stops eating, respiration problems, tissue damage, cloudy eyes, etc.) the absolute worse thing you could do is leave the fish in the aquarium. They need to be put into an environment with out an active pathogen. Sometimes that alone, with out any meds is all it takes for the fish to recover.

"1. Getting a cleaner wrasse (I usually sell them for $15-$20) if you have 3+ fish."

Adding a fish into an aquarium with an active parasite outbreak is not sound advise. Cleaner wrasse are susceptible to most of the parasites that other aquarium fish are. If it is a severe outbreak it is likely the cleaner wrasse will contract the same parasite. Next, cleaner wrasse very rarely live for very long, they often do not adapt well to captive life. They are often treated as disposable animals bought to "fix" a problem and then die shortly afterward. Small fish, such as the average clown fish often won't let a cleaner wrasse clean them, it appears that small fish are more intimidated by "pesky" cleaner wrasse and run from them. Cleaner wrasse are at best a band aid, not a solution or cure to a parasite outbreak. If an animal was going to be used to help, a skunk cleaner shrimp or a neon goby would be better choices, Both adapt well to captivity. The shrimp is not susceptible to the parasites too. I would not add a neon goby into an aquarium that had an active parasite outbreak.

"2. Use fresh garlic in your fish food."

I agree, often helps with parasite outbreaks. Soak your food in vitamin supplements too like selcon and Vitachem to strengthen the fish and the fishes immune system.

"3. Make sure you are using good live or frozen food."

I agree with this also, however there are not many saltwater appropriate live foods available. The most common live saltwater food is live brine shrimp. This is a really bad idea. Nutritionally the are worthless, gut loaded they are not much better but the really big problem is they carry parasites, disease and virus. Live brine shrimp are often the cause of disease and parasite outbreaks. Save yourself the risk and avoid them. Good quality multi ingredient frozen food is one of your best bets. Ocean Nutrition's formula one and two are a readily available food that is good quality.  Single ingredient foods (mysis for example) are good also when used concurrently with multi ingredient foods. Avoid frozen brine shrimp, very dirty and nutritionally worthless.

"4. Have plenty of places (live rock, decorations, pvc pipes, etc.) for the fish to hide and rest.
5. Keep the lights on as little as possible. You want to keep the fish well fed, rested, and relaxed as possible."

I agree, good advise. I would add to that to make sure the water quality is in tip top condition too. - test it!

The other thing that I think was skimmed over is what are the probable causes of this parasite outbreak?  Was it an environmental issue, temperature instability, introduction of a new fish that was not properly quarantined, etc. Parasite outbreaks don't happen for no reason, something triggers the outbreak. I agree that removing all possible hosts from the aquarium for at least 30 days (more is better) should rid the aquarium of the current outbreak but what caused it in the first place? What's stopping it from happening again? This is a good thing to figure out to prevent a repeat and is very helpful information to share with others to help them prevent the same experience. If you are unsure of what caused the outbreak, I bet we can help figure out some likely causes. Bottom line is we want to try to determine the cause to help prevent it from happening again.

If I can help, let me know how and I'll do my best, Joel

David Schmaus

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 19:56:01 »
The other thing that I think was skimmed over is what are the probable causes of this parasite outbreak?  Was it an environmental issue, temperature instability, introduction of a new fish that was not properly quarantined, etc. Parasite outbreaks don't happen for no reason, something triggers the outbreak. I agree that removing all possible hosts from the aquarium for at least 30 days (more is better) should rid the aquarium of the current outbreak but what caused it in the first place? What's stopping it from happening again? This is a good thing to figure out to prevent a repeat and is very helpful information to share with others to help them prevent the same experience. If you are unsure of what caused the outbreak, I bet we can help figure out some likely causes. Bottom line is we want to try to determine the cause to help prevent it from happening again.

If I can help, let me know how and I'll do my best, Joel

It was my fault.   I introduced fish to a tank that wasn't fully cycled.    Second issue is that I didn't QT the fish.     I do have one more question.  What do I do with the main 40 gallon tank for the next 60 days?   It has about 60 LBS of rock and 2 inches of sand.  a couple snails and 10 hermits.  Lights on/off?  Water changes?  Feed?

Thanks

David Schmaus

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 20:00:00 »
Just watch your ammonia closely and be ready to water change if it rises.  Wouldnt want to put more stress on fish in the QT than you would have in the DT.

Yea, I have read that you can loose your cycle by dropping the the salinity so much.   Thanks for the advise..

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 20:28:37 »
To keep your 40 gallon "alive" if you will, you will need to continue adding waste to the aquarium that is in theory equal to the amount that was being produced by your fish while they were still in it. This is basically the equivalent to fish less cycling. The aquarium "thinks" the fish are still in it in terms of the amount of waste being produced and processed. Continue water changes, cleaning pre filters, protein skimmer, etc. Frozen fish food is one option to add as a form of waste. My method is I use raw cocktail shrimp and water pureed in a blender, strain out the bits so I have mostly fluid and freeze it in a mini ice cube tray. I add a cube daily so it mimics the constant waste load that the fish would have produced.

I don't have a good formula as to how concentrated to make this, I winged it by estimating how much food (shrimp in this case) I would add (Feed the aquarium) daily and did the math with how many cubes I was making at a time.

David Schmaus

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 20:32:04 »
To keep your 40 gallon "alive" if you will, you will need to continue adding waste to the aquarium that is in theory equal to the amount that was being produced by your fish while they were still in it. This is basically the equivalent to fish less cycling. The aquarium "thinks" the fish are still in it in terms of the amount of waste being produced and processed. Continue water changes, cleaning pre filters, protein skimmer, etc. Frozen fish food is one option to add as a form of waste. My method is I use raw cocktail shrimp and water pureed in a blender, strain out the bits so I have mostly fluid and freeze it in a mini ice cube tray. I add a cube daily so it mimics the constant waste load that the fish would have produced.

I don't have a good formula as to how concentrated to make this, I winged it by estimating how much food (shrimp in this case) I would add (Feed the aquarium) daily and did the math with how many cubes I was making at a time.

That works.   I will just keep feeding frozen like I was doing and monitor it.   Thanks Joel...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 21:37:12 »
good point joel
SIZE DOES MATTER