2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Algea problem still!!!  (Read 7253 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Re: Algea problem still!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 08:57:01 »
I have started to see a slow decrease in the GHA and maybe a very small change in Cyano.  My PO was initailly .5 and now .1. Not at zero like I would like.  I am looking into new bulbs and doing a 25% ish water change in the next day or so.  One thing that I have noticed is that my snails and crabs don't seem to be living that long.  I bought 4 ms=ex turbos 3 weeks ago and have 1 left.  I see shells everywhere from previous snail/crabs i have bought.  Not sure why that is happening. 

Thanks for the great info!!!

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:25 »
I am going to hopefully post pics of the algea tomorrow so you have some visuals.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 14:04:41 »
Most snails can't tolerate high nitrate levels...not sure about crabs, but I'd imagine they're the same. 

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 04:35:50 »
First, on the seahare, I wouldn't worry about them starving too much.  They only live about a year...and so you might get one that is 11 months old (then again, you might get a juvenile one).  A big problem is that they'll eat your green hair algae...and poo out the spores.  The spores will just regrow...so unless you're doing massive water changes, I don't think a sea hare will help other than aesthetics.

My seahare has done wonders for the green hair algae problem i had in my tank.. Yeah he does crap a ton, but from what i've seen so far it hasn't regrown at all from his droppings. It's been a good month or two since he put in the work on my tank.

Him combined with phosban made my first hair algae problem no sweat! Only took like a weekend and it was pretty bad tbh

Sea hares get my vote! the cleaner from hell..
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings