2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Texas Holey Rock  (Read 5032 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Texas Holey Rock
« on: January 12, 2007, 17:57:06 »
what does anyone know about this?  I called Gerbers today. He said it's dry rock.  I woul donly need to rinse off then place in the aquarium. He said it doesn't need cured or anything.  I asked if it could be used in a marine aquarium and he sai dyes. 

Does this sound right?  I don[t know anything about it, but I'm looking for some large rocks and he said they have some. :) 

Offline Viggen

Re: Texas Holey Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 18:49:46 »
if you just want large pieces why not just go to a quarrey or a place that supplies rocks for landscapers/etc

I have used lava rock which is light & is VERY cheap 

300g tub o fish

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 18:55:52 »
i beleive that texas holey rock is very heavy

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 18:56:00 »
I thought Texas Holey Rock was that white rock the the large holes 1"+ in it.  Not very ocean looking.  Used more in freshwater aquascaping. 

If you want base rock, ask Scott Wilson if he can get some more in.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 18:59:56 by verper »

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 19:20:58 »
I thought Texas Holey Rock was that white rock the the large holes 1"+ in it.  Not very ocean looking.  Used more in freshwater aquascaping. 

If you want base rock, ask Scott Wilson if he can get some more in.

Thats the stuff.  Very heavy good for cichlids.  Will keeps pH at about 8.2 also good for salt.  wouldnt look right and might invite some leaching you dont want.

I have used it before for african cichlids and its nice stuff hard to come by around here unless you order it

Simpte

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 19:27:59 »
I have a few pieces in my tank.  Not very eye appealing and very heavy.  Coraline doesn't like growing on it either.  At least for me.

Offline Emily

• Scavenger Queen
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 20:51:56 »
I have a chunk in my mantis tank (they like swimming through the holes).  I personnaly do not think it looks bad in taht tank...can't remember if anything is growing on it (I will check).  I am not sure that I would put it in a man saltwater aquarium because like everyone else said, it doesn't look like something found in the ocean.  I haven't had any issues with it in the mantis tank with throwing chemicals off or anything.
Emily

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 21:05:04 »
It's sounding more like I don't want it.  Hmmmm Plan B!  :)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 21:40:27 »

There's nothing wrong with Texas Holey Rock, It is perfectly safe for saltwater aquariums. It is literally limestone with holed eroded threw it. I agree that it might not look "natural" but it is an attractive rock and will not cause any harm to a saltwater aquarium. I also agree that it is great for tanginician and malawian cichlid aquariums too, used it many times in the past. It would look very out of place in a reef tank though, for fish it might be ok.

The only real problem I see with your question Micki is who your considering buying it from ;D

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 22:00:42 »
The link below has pictures of texas holey rock. You may be better off looking around area reef clubs, like Cincy Reef or CORA, for live rock for sale for $2 to $3 a pound from various people downsizing or getting out of the hobby.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tx_holey_rock.php

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 22:44:55 »
I think Matt had a Ciclid tank with this kind of rock.  (correct me if I'm wrong Matt :) )   The "place" isn't my favorite but it was a good price.  :)  This would be for my 150 gallon FO tank.  I have some LR here, but not enough.  I'm not sure how the mixture would look. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 23:08:09 »
you should be able to get base rock for $2 or $3 a lb and remember texas rock is HEAVY and will cost alot more to fill your tank becaus eof its weight.

if you buy 100 of LR for say $4 you would get probably 2 or 3 times the rock vs same weight of texas rock

i used to have a bunch of texas rock...makes me miss my cichlids

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 23:11:31 »
I thought that was the same rock you had in your cichlid tank Matt. 

Ok, I've pretty much been talked out of Texas Rock.  I'll carry on with my search...

Thanks everyone!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 03:22:37 »
There's always lace rock from Jack's. They had a couple nice looking pieces when I was in there the other day. Drawback is I suspect that it may have contributed to my HA, but I can't prove it. It does look really good now that it's covered in corralline.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 07:13:21 »
Gary, how much was it per pound?  Were they big pieces?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 07:46:41 »
It's like $2/lb. Unfortunately they don't usually have a whole lot of big pieces, unless they have some in the back.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 07:49:46 »
I may stop in and see what they have.  I've got some smaller stuff but I would really like some big pieces.  I also need to make a place for the eel to have a nice home.  :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 14:27:36 »
There's always lace rock from Jack's. They had a couple nice looking pieces when I was in there the other day. Drawback is I suspect that it may have contributed to my HA, but I can't prove it. It does look really good now that it's covered in corralline.

I stopped in today.  The one kind of "good" rock they had (Iforget the name) was $6 something per pound.  The other stuff was $5  something per  pound.  They said they could get base rock but it would be $3 something per pound!  I said no thanks...

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 15:44:16 »
Boy they went up in price!!! The lace rock (other than their LR) is the only thing I've ever seen them have that would be suitable for a SW tank. What else did they have?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 15:53:08 »
Some kind of rock that starts with a P. I forget the name. 

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 11:02:16 »
I like the dry live rock you can get out of Fiji.  It is not cheep but it is live rock weighed at a dry weight. You get lots more per pound than you expect.  IT ma mot saying it is live but it the exact same stuff just baked dry on the beach and then shipped on boats.  Very good rock.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:19 »
Can dry live rock be placed right into the tank or does it need to be cured?

Offline verper

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 11:13:49 »
I believe you want to soak it in tap water for a week, but can then be put right in the tank.  The soaking is a precaution. It is good stuff.  Scott got some last summer that had BIG pieces in it that were spectacular.  Many of those are now in his 90gal.  ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 11:17:06 »
What is the purpose of soaking it for a week?  Just to get any dead stuff out?

Offline verper

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 11:18:52 »
Helps leach any bad stuff out of the rock.  There really isn't any dead stuff on the rock