2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Has anybody ordered a custom aquarium?  (Read 884 times)

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
Has anybody ordered a custom aquarium?
« on: January 02, 2020, 14:46:48 »
Has anyone on here ordered a custom glass aquarium?  I’m looking to start quoting and wasn’t sure if anyone had any good or bad experiences they could share.  I’m currently planning to quote Planet Aquariums and Custom Aquariums so far

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Has anybody ordered a custom aquarium?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 17:07:17 »
I purchased a scratch and dent tank from custom aquariums. It was an ordered tank that was canceled in mid build so I had to fabricate a top and bottom frame and seal some bottom drilled holes. I really like their tanks and the amount of silicone they use.  I would purchase a tank from them again for sure.
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 18:04:16 »
Custom Aquariums built my 180 and it’s one nice tank. Very happy with the work they did. Would do it again but longer!

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 18:19:03 »
What size are you doing? I’m just curious, saw your post on FB

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 19:07:48 »
I purchased a scratch and dent tank from custom aquariums. It was an ordered tank that was canceled in mid build so I had to fabricate a top and bottom frame and seal some bottom drilled holes. I really like their tanks and the amount of silicone they use.  I would purchase a tank from them again for sure.
Jeff
Custom Aquariums built my 180 and it’s one nice tank. Very happy with the work they did. Would do it again but longer!

Thanks for all the input.  I haven’t heard may people talk about their experiences with custom aquariums so I’m glad to hear they do good work.  Did either of you go with their stand?

What size are you doing? I’m just curious, saw your post on FB
Its not set in stone but it’s looking like 60”x48”x24” or 72”x48”x24”

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 19:38:15 »
I did not but did use the pad they offer between the tank and stand. Go longer! You won't Regret it. Although 6 ft is big 8 or 10 would allow much more capability with fish like the Disjardines sailfin tang and several anglels I would love to have but can’t.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 20:19:50 »
I didnt purchase their stand.  Wasnt aware of the pad.  I purchased mine as is so no warranty.   The tank I purchased was a 72x32x24.  For myself it was a perfect size.  I thought I would have liked a dd tank that is 36in front to back but felt it would have been almost impossible to reach the back of the tank for any maintenance.
Jeff

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 21:53:11 »
I’m honestly pretty set on 48” front to back and really Ive really thought hard about a 4x10, but everything maintainance wise has just drastically took a big hike if I go that route.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 22:52:12 »
I missed the last 48 inch front to back. That adds a ton of real estate. If I had that on my tank I could do lots more, lots.