2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How slow to start?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline H2Ohio

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
How slow to start?
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:23:45 »
Brand new to the hobby with a 28g nano.  Rock/sand is nearly six months old but I've only had the setup in my possession for about a month (nothing but a damsel and CUC).  Water parameters are ideal and my plan all along was to start and approach the hobby very slowly.  With the swap coming I'd still like to stick with that plan but overwhelmed with all the cool stuff on fragswapper.  I planned to start slow with zoas and LPS that might host a future clown.  I hope to buy some $5/$10 starter frags so any serious lessons learned aren't too costly.  I know frags at this price will be very small, looking for any advice on how many would be too many for a new tank?  Is 5 a good limit?

Already have bottle of Coral RX and empty coral QT setup, now just waiting.  Patiently waiting...

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
Re: How slow to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:00 »
You're doing the right thing, as hard as it is. The swap will be a great place to get extra tips, also.
I'd start with 2 or 3 and see how they do before adding a bunch. That way you can get used to how they react to different things.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:28 »
I think your on the right track, 5 small frags won't affect your bio-load as much as a fish would, but patience is a MUST HAVE in this hobby.  It also takes time to learn how corals react in your tank, and where the optimum placement is for your setup.   Other reefers can give you a good description of where to put them, but it's ultimately up to you on where they go in your tank.  Stay with some easier frags to get your feet wet, and soon enough you'll be rocking your nano.

BTW.....LPS is not always great for clowns to host in as they can irritate it to the point of killing the coral.  Just something to keep in mind.

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:12:34 »
Welcome H2Ohio,

I'm in a similar situation, new to the hobby, newer tank, only one coral so far, and anxious for the swap.  I am also planning on softies and LPS to start with.  I have reserved a few corals on fragswapper just to be sure I get something I want.  I have never been to a frag swap, should be quite a learning experience.
From what I have read, adding corals is not the same as adding fish since there is no bioload issue.  Experts may disagree, I'm a newbie too.
Good luck with your tank,
Kelly

Offline H2Ohio

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:26:46 »
Thanks for the encouragement.

Neo - I was thinking LPS that are more "anenome" like: torch, hammer or frogspawn vrs the brain looking type.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:39 »
You'll be fine with hammers torches and frogspawns  I have a hammers and a frogspawn on fragswapper now  the pair of clowns I keep in my frag are actually hosting the frogspawn and hammers so they are used to it.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 17:10:42 »
I tend to agree with eveything said here.  Corals and inverts typically do not have the same impact on bioload that fish do,  and corals may actually have a positive impact for the fact that many feed off and absorb nitrate.  The reason to be careful adding is two fold.  They are basically intolerant of amonia and nitrite,  compounds that could potentially be present in a newer tank,  and can be expensive to buy and replace if your system isn't quite ready.   If you can detect no amonia or nitrite,  I say buy as much as you're comfortable losing if something goes wrong, the swap is going to be about as cheap as they come.  This will basically always be the case as even established reefs can have unforeseeable issues.  As a beginner, it wouldn't be a bad idea to stick to the more forgiving types as you're still learning how to keep a stable system, placement,  etc.  The lps listed can potentially host clown without issues,  but if they are still establishing or if you get a particularly rough clown,  it might be a problem .   I'd recommend getting your hands on a tank raised nem, which are typically as hardy or more hardy than many corals, or possibly a nice large toadstool coral.  The toadstools have nice long polyps and will quickly acclimate to a wiggling clown.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 17:21:12 »
Wait, with a nano,  you'll probably want to avoid the nem.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 18:09:26 »
A single nem would be ok. But it may eventually take up half the tank.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 18:16:36 »
I was thinking, when he's fully obsessed like the rest of us, it'll be hard to not pack stuff in there to be stung to death.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 18:18:25 »
That's an easy fix though. Bigger tank! Lol

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 18:23:30 »
Ha..  Like fixing a doper with a bigger crack rock!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 19:35:29 »
Ha..  Like fixing a doper with a bigger crack rock!

lol, good point.

Offline customcoral

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 23:34:29 »
I have 29 gal  and find that just doing water changes frequently will help.   I have 2 lines going to tank. one is a gravity fed line from 5 gallon bucket premix saltwater and one line  going to a drain in house . This make it easy to stay on top of water changes in your nano . I do a quart a day takes 2 minutes