2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Set On Carpet?  (Read 876 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Set On Carpet?
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:00:22 »
I have finally found a 92g corner tank and will be picking it up this weekend.

I wanted some thoughts on placing on top of carpet or cut the carpet and put straight on the floor? I’m leaning to cutting the carpet out as we are thinking of eventually removing it anyway and going to laminate.

Curious how others have set up their larger tanks.

Offline kellyj

• Adult
Re: Set On Carpet?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:16 »
My 90 gallon was on carpet and we just replaced the old carpet recently.  Rather than move the tank, I just had the installers cut around the tank and install tack strips around the tank.  Looks great, also left enough scrap to patch the carpet if the tank is ever moved.
Kelly

Offline dbowman

• Adult
Re: Set On Carpet?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:23:20 »
two issues i would be concerned about.
1 how thick is the pad/carpet? would there be enough thickness to allow jiggle instead of a firm surface?
2 would you end up with moisture in the carpet/pad that would cause mold/smell/cleaning problems over time
ok, 3 what is under the carpet? would your corner tank sit on the tack strips causing tilt?
4 if you are planning to convert to laminate, what time frame are you considering for that? how thick is the laminate? how would you trim around the tank stand? would it make sense to match the laminate height with some sort of base layer under the stand so that the result is the laminate edge does not butt up to the stand but looks like it goes under it?
 for me the issues of wicking under the stand and the carpet/pad holding moisture would have me removing the carpet, at the minimum and if the floor under it is presentable, a buffer area in front of the tank too.
enjoy the install! I am not in the"larger tank" category but my 75 gal tank stands are directly on the floor.
 i have hardwood floors and when i removed the wall to wall shag from them there were areas where water (probably unnoticed pet accidents played a part) had destroyed the pad and stained the wood. in my basement the previous owner had framed in a bedroom but had carpet under the framing. water had wicked under the framing. this moisture rotted the wood, grew mold and kept the basement damp until i ripped it all out and sealed the wall leaks that were hidden behind the paneling. I  realize that these experiences color my judgement. thanks for the opportunity to vent.
:be happy: