2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: achilles tang  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
achilles tang
« on: March 10, 2011, 16:58:15 »
Hi i am thinking about getting an Achilles tangs and was wondering if anybody who has had them or knows about them could give me tips on keeping them
thanks, Cole
90 gallon shallow

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
Re: achilles tang
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 17:00:51 »
i already have a blue and a yellow tang in my tank would an achilles tang get along with them
90 gallon shallow

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 18:46:17 »
depends on which blue tang you have

Is it the blue hep tang or a powder blue tang or a atl blue tang?

Also depends on tank size
300g tub o fish

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:59 »
its a hepatus blue tang
90 gallon shallow

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:45 »
You should be good then.... I have a hep tang, sohal tang, yellow tang & powder blue tang in my 210g & they are all fine.

Many do state they are difficult to keep so find one that's already been eating well if you can.  My powder blue was at Gerbers for 2 months & ate like a pig when he was there so he's doing great.
300g tub o fish

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
achilles tang
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:49 »
I had an Achilles for a bit over a year and lost it along with all my fish due to an error during a tank transfer. They are a beautiful and graceful fish. The advice I can give you is make certain that the tank you are putting it in does not have Cryptocaryon irritans or it will die. It is also important to quarantine the fish and consider treating it with hyposalinity. If you have never done it before I would recommend reading up on it and trying with a less expensive fish first to know you can control ammonia and nitrites in the process. Once you have a healthy specimen in a healthy tank the are just as easy to keep as any other fish. As with all tangs, Most important is to feed nori or other forms of algae every day. Although it will eat prepared meaty foods and seem content it won't be healthy in the long run.

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 15:09:32 »
how big tank do u have?it need lots space to hide lot room to swim
 achilles tangis get stress really easy,i don't think a good idea to add with more tangs already in it
my friend have 175gal before try twice,lost both due to the stress
i think it is good have iust as the 1st tang in your tank,not add later
that is just my view

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 15:10:35 »
my bad u have a 210gal it should be good but still other tangs in the tank that u should be worry about

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 16:53:42 »
how big tank do u have?it need lots space to hide lot room to swim
 achilles tangis get stress really easy,i don't think a good idea to add with more tangs already in it
my friend have 175gal before try twice,lost both due to the stress
i think it is good have iust as the 1st tang in your tank,not add later
that is just my view
where did you buy your achilles tang
90 gallon shallow

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 18:52:45 »
so i was planning on a buying a achilles tang from the liveaquaria diver den id plan on getting a 4 inch juvenile i've heard fish between 4 and 5 inches have the best chance and are healthier. i've been looking at the achilles they've posted (usually one day) and ive noticed they are usually partially whiteish spot on the front and wanted to make sure this is normal i'm planning on getting 2 common cleaner wrasse when i buy him. anybody know whats these fish like best from expirience im gonna probly stock up on some new foods thsi weekend and buy one next week
Thanks
Cole
90 gallon shallow

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 00:01:29 »
Wondering what you are paying for it and the cleaner wrasse? let me know as I have them and could give you a better price I am sure