2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: grrr my fish have ick  (Read 3222 times)

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
grrr my fish have ick
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:52 »
so over the last few days i have noticed that my fish have ick i have been treating with garlic extrac. and to my avail no luck. so i did some reading on fresh water dipping and i tried it so i will update you all tomorrow to let you know if they died or look any better if anyone has any other ideas besides copper or a quarantine tank let me know. i dont have a quarentine tank thats why im saying that. thanks everyone.

Offline Neogenesis

Re: grrr my fish have ick
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:54 »
Unfortunately all the best methods involve a quarantine tank, unless you are running FOWLR.  Copper and Hypo-salinity are the best treatments, along with leaving you DT fallow for 6 to 8 weeks while all the ich in there dies off as well.  Other than that, take a good hard look at your tank and it's inhabits, if they are coming down with ich, it's due to stress of some sort.  Stress lowers the immune system making your fish more susceptible, allowing them to become infected.

And just FYI, most medications that are  "reef safe" are worthless. 

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:02:45 »
yeah i know im thinking of using stuff called copper safe it will kill my inverts and my macro algae but not all of my fish any ideas.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:13 »
I wouldn't be putting that directly into your tank. The silicone in your tank, the rock, and anything else in there that can absorb copper can and will. Anything that is copper sensitive will not be able to be kept in your tank again.  I highly suggest you setup a quarantine tank to treat your fish.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:10:34 »
and if u over do copper  just by a little ur sish will lose there scales and color and will dye
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 13:09:38 »
fuck fuck fuck well i will throw that idea out the window i think im going to build a place for a quaritine tank i cant afford a tank right now so i will just pray and hope for the best.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 13:21:20 »
How many fish do you have?   A QT tank doesn't need to be large, and filtration minimal if you do extra water changes.  Basically a tank, heater and air stone.

KISS method is best here.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
grrr my fish have ick
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 13:36:35 »
there are "reef safe" methods out there not sure if any of them have been proven to work. like others have said hypo or copper are the only two worth trying. lots of people on here have extra tanks, ask to see if you can borrow one
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 13:45:42 »
well my copper band, male anthias and one of my green cromies have already died, and i have 15 other fish and at least half of them have it. well im going to build a shelf onto my ATO shelf so that above it when i can find a tank i can put it up there i have a fluval 405 i could use for the filtration and a light i can rig up what is a air stone.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 14:07:10 »
id try a cleaner wrasse.
rich at coral ranchalways seemed to have some.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 14:18:18 »
what do they do

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 14:28:09 »
What size tank do you have all of these in?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 14:58:32 »
u could just make ur whole tank a quaritine tank
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 15:22:57 »
my tank is a 150, and how do i do that hunger. i just went and got a cleaner shrimp so maybe he can help a little.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 15:28:08 »
is this a reef tank or FOWLR?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 15:30:11 »
here read  i would do this to ur tank cuz it fish only  no corals  and than after u do it and works than qt all new fish
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyposalinity/a/aahyposalinity.htm
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyposalinity/ht/ht_hyposalinity.htm
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 15:30:56 »
fowlr
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 15:47:32 »
its a FOWLR with sand as well

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 15:49:57 »
that makes things a lot easier.   How about removing your inverts and run your entire tank in hyposalinity?

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 15:52:37 »
i thought about doing that but i have no place to put my inverts so im going to try my cleaner shrimp for a day or so and see what is going on hunger and slandis are coming over tomorrow so they can have a look at it and be like oh dont worry about it your screwed or hey its doing better so i dont know im lost. and i read that stuff hunger its just im so new to this hobby im afraid i would screw it up.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 16:52:00 »
well i dont know if its good or bad but my cleaner shrimp has attached himself to my blue hepitus and is cleaning her. so hopefully this is a good thing.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
grrr my fish have ick
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 16:54:01 »
As far as I know a cleaner shrimp can help but won't completely get rid of ich
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 16:54:39 »
That's a start, but there has to be something that helped trigger a ich outbreak that affects 1/2 of your fish.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 17:08:42 »
the only thing me and a friend can think of was i wasnt home for almost two days adn the temp in my tank dropped almost 6 degrees. so i dont know if that would have done it my friend that could be enough to have stressed them out so i got a new heater nd my tank is back to normal.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 21:23:34 »
but u did just add new fish most likely thats were it came from im 99% sure
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 01:40:27 »
yeah i agree but who knows i have my one shelf built just need some doors and ill have the other one finished first thing in the morning then i just need to track down a tank that i can use as  a quaritine tank when i get paid. so that way i can make sure i have a place in case my fish do get sick and i have a place that i can have before i put them in my tank.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 01:30:14 »
so my fish have ick and are dying off one at a time so i tried to find a tank that i could use for a quaritine tank and no dice so i found the biggest toat in my house which is small by the way and put all of my fish in there and am going to jacks tomorrow to get some copper safe to treat them with all i can say is cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 07:28:40 »
how small is the toat? How many fish do you have to quarentine? Make sure they have ample room as you dont want to pollute your water too fast.

Lazy posted a good article on my post about ich. It talks about Myths of Ich and such. I would do as you have done so far, get them out, and get them treated. Once there is no sign of ich, i would keep them out for a week to see if they break out again. Feed them some food with garlic in it, it's been shown to "help".

In the article Lazy provided, it states that ich can last in your water without a host for around 6 weeks. So it might be wise to keep them out of the DT for that long if you dont want to treat the DT with Fishvet No-Ich which is reef/invert safe.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 14:03:07 »
well i now only have 9 fish i the rest died last night in the quaritine tank so i put them back in this morning im just going to keep them in there. we shall see what happens over the following days-weeks i will not be adding fish in there until i know for sure that the ick is gone and i wont put them in there until i have a quaritine tank setup and running so i have something to treat if i do get ick and something to put my new fish in when i get them before they go in my tank.

Offline reefer-oz

• Fry
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 20:06:56 »
If you don't have one, get a UV sterilizer.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:45 »
i thought about doing that but i have no place to put my inverts so im going to try my cleaner shrimp for a day or so and see what is going on hunger and slandis are coming over tomorrow so they can have a look at it and be like oh dont worry about it your screwed or hey its doing better so i dont know im lost. and i read that stuff hunger its just im so new to this hobby im afraid i would screw it up.

If you just need a small tank to place your inverts in while you run Hypo I have a 10 gallon I won't be using for a while.