2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Angels and Butterfly fish in the reef tank  (Read 2107 times)

Offline volcano

Angels and Butterfly fish in the reef tank
« on: July 18, 2012, 15:58:14 »
I am really trying to find one to put in my latest tank, but fear their destructive potential. 

Angel Fish reportedly safe to keep in a reef "with caution":

Centropyge joculator
C. bispinosa
Centropyge loricula
Genicanthus bellus

I have experience keeping 2 of these species.  Some pleasant and some not so pleasant.  I like to see what the forums experience with these fish in their reefs has been.  I fist started looking at the dwarf angels (genus Centropyge ) for my latest 125 gallon.  These are absolutely amazing looking fish.  The coral beauty ( C. bispinosa ) is a  hardy fish and is reported as "reef-safe."  I have kept a flame angle and a coral beauty in the same 65 gallon tank with out any fighting or coral nipping.   They have plenty of places to hide and they are not over crowded with other tank mates.  Only a pair of snowflake clowns and a royal gramma inhabit the tank with them.  I still worry that one day these fish will pick at zooanthids, clams, and trachyphyllia.  I know another member here has a coral beauty and a butterfly in their tank and they have never picked at any of his corals.  Possibly this comes down to 2 or 3 feedings a day and keeping them nice and full.  I feed my multiple times a day but still worry one day I will come home just to find they had a $500 lunch.

The flame angel ( C. loricula ) is really unpredictable as many things in this hobby are.  There are many of us who keep flame angles and they are completely reef safe.  Then some are reef nightmares.  Some become a reef demolition crew after years of excellent behavior.  I know many people that say they are 50 / 50 in a reef.  I also had a Flame angel in a 65 gallon and it would pick on a slimer acro in the tank.  They are amazing looking fish, so I guess they can be a risk worth taking.

The G. bellus is a nice looking fish and supposed to be one of the most reef safe angels.   I would certainly entertain the idea of adding a pair to my tank. I know another reef keeer keeping them without a problem and after seeing them, they are quite striking.

Then there are the large angels.  None of which I know are reef safe and only have I ever heard of one species being kept successfully.  Anyone here have experience with large angels in a reef?

The only large angel I have heard of as being reef safe is the Regal angel ( Pygoplites diacanthus ) pulled from the Red Sea.  Most fish suppliers say this is not considered reef safe.  Anyone ever keep the royal angel or other large species in their reef?

Butterfly Fish:

The only ones I  feel comfortable keeping are super expensive.  I know one person here who keeps a copperband butterfly with no issues, but I do not know about this.

The species I have heard are reef safe are pulled out of deep Hawaiian  waters:

Chaetodon burgess
Chaetodon tinkeri:
Chaetodon declivis
Chaetodon mitratus
Chaetodon flavocoronatus
P. aya
P. guyanensis
P. marcellae
P. brasiliensis
P. basabei

Can anyone tell me their experience with butterfly fish being kept in a reef?  Sorry for the long post but I am trying to find a few stunning fish suitable for my new tank.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Angels and Butterfly fish in the reef tank
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 16:10:46 »
I have kept a Copperband, and a Kliens... I have only had one fish munch away and that was 1 of the 3 kliens I have owned... all the others have done fine and only ever ate pests such as aiptasia....

The one kleins who did eat more than just aiptasia.... did cause alot of destruction in a short amount of time, he was a pig... ate or picked at just about everything

What fish do you have in your tank at present?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline volcano

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 16:36:21 »
Currently, I have:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blonde Naso Tang
2 Snowflake clowns

Thanks for your input.  I have noticed that some fish suppliers label the copperband as "reef safe w/ caution" and most say the Kleins is "Not Reef Safe".  I like the idea of them eating aiptasia.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 17:25:53 by volcano »

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 23:31:22 »
I have kept a copperband for years, no damage to corals but it does a number on clams. Also have a coral beauty that I have never had any trouble with, have also had it several years.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:42 »
I had a Kliens for a short period of time, completely destroyed everything!  I personally would not get that one.  I have a flame angel and a coral beauty with no problems.

Offline volcano

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 14:05:11 »
I have kept a copperband for years, no damage to corals but it does a number on clams. Also have a coral beauty that I have never had any trouble with, have also had it several years.

Steve, you were the member I was thinking of in my original post.  After seeing your copperband and coral beauty doing well in the reef, I started to consider them for my new tank. 

I had a Kliens for a short period of time, completely destroyed everything!  I personally would not get that one.  I have a flame angel and a coral beauty with no problems.

Thanks Micki!  I really want to put a flame angel in the tank, but fear I will get a coral picker.  I would hate to find out the angel ate a bunch of coral and would especially hate to have to tear out my rock to catch it.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 16:39:02 »

Thanks Micki!  I really want to put a flame angel in the tank, but fear I will get a coral picker.  I would hate to find out the angel ate a bunch of coral and would especially hate to have to tear out my rock to catch it.

I feel your pain, it was a pain believe me!

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 20:57:18 »
I had a coral beauty for a while and he was a model citizen.  I have a small CBB and he pick at rock and sand all the time, never seen him pick coral though.  I want to get a flame angel since my beauty died.

Jeremy

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 00:34:39 »
I had a flame angel years ago that from the time it woke up to the time it went to sleep it would go from one sps to the next nipping at them. I am guessing just eating slime coating. Never noticed any ill affects to the coral other then polyp retracting after each nip.

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:05:03 »
I had a flame angel years ago that from the time it woke up to the time it went to sleep it would go from one sps to the next nipping at them. I am guessing just eating slime coating. Never noticed any ill affects to the coral other then polyp retracting after each nip.

Thank you sir!  I am just extra paranoid when I comes to Ich I guess.  I hate having to tear down a tank just to catch all the fish.  So better safe than sorry.