2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: baby banggai cardinals out of nowhere  (Read 2065 times)

Offline merlin3

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
baby banggai cardinals out of nowhere
« on: February 07, 2013, 17:07:49 »
Any interest in some baby banggai cardinals or anyone have any suggestions on raising them? They had a brood a couple weeks ago and I didn't put much effort into keeping them as I didn't have time to research it. They slowly got picked off by other fish and corals over about a week. I think I saw a total of 8-10 but I know there were more as I saw them in the males mouth but not sure who ate them. Anyways those are all gone but now I see that the male has his mouth full again. Here's a couple picks from last time.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: baby banggai cardinals out of nowhere
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 17:21:40 »
Rich at Coral Ranch never had much problems raising them.  Don't think he did much special.    I think the most he did was to mesh off an area, so only they could fit through.    He would also move some of them to a refugium so they could grow a little.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 17:53:54 »
What were you feeding them to get them to the size they were, mine will not eat prepared food. I might be interested in a couple of them if you get some. I have 2 and they tolerate each other but I don't believe they are a pair. Would like to have a spawning pair.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 18:04:29 »
I would be interested in up to 4 of them. Depends how much you will need for them.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 18:32:45 »
That is really cool. I'd like to get into breeding and thought Bangaii's would be a good place to start. I need to find myself a pair.

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:00 »
They atelier newly hatched baby brine shrimp fairly easily.  I've got a little hatchery set up now so I can have two batches hatching.  Not sure what to feed after BBS.  I also have one of those clip on little nets that go in the aquarium so this time I will catch them and seperate them so they don't get eaten.  They would probably do really well in my refugium but I would never be able to catch them again.

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:52 »
Sorry for spelling,  that was typed quickly on my phone

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 15:53:46 »
...you are right - Rich never had to do too much becuase the fry could find lots of places to hide where other fish could not get to them.... he did have a box mesh I think that they could easily swim in and out of for the ones he could not catch and other would go into the raceways with the Xenia & pepermint shrimp.... in the wild, I have seen pics where schools of fry would hide in the spines of an urchine - you could even use an old brush or something similar.... just my 2 cents...

Offline volcano

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 16:16:28 »
Congrats, that is really cool! 

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:48 »
way cool, you should be proud  8)

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 23:45:17 »
If your looking to get rid of some my tank doesn't have a lot of fish so I'd be interested
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 00:11:05 »
Sweet that cool.  I would really like 2. My wife has been wanting some of those.   

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 23:48:16 »
their a good schooling fish
would be willing to get a few of the young from ya when they get around

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:30 »
Ok,  i think the male ate the last batch but hes had eggs in his mouth now for prob 5-7days. I keep missing the mating ritual then it would be a lot easier to know when they are going to hatch.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:39 »
Just keep us posted
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo