2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: A must have in any reef tank!  (Read 5517 times)

Offline volcano

A must have in any reef tank!
« on: May 21, 2013, 20:23:45 »
I just got a trio of Schooling Bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes).  They are almost identical to Heniochus acuminata and they are not reef safe.  Heniochus acuminata is what originally got me in to marine aquariums.  However, since they were coral consumers, I had to pass.   Then I came across a good deal on a trio of bannerfish and had to buy them.   They were in my QT for 3 days.  They ate like champs and had no visible signs of parasites. (granted, I know that means nothing).  Either way, I put them in my display and they acclimated immediately.  My cleaner wrasse checked them out, but seems to be leaving them alone.   Hopefully, that is a good sign that they are parasite free.  I have to say, a trio of bannerfish in my display really make the tank look stunning.  My wife even approves!   :o :o

I will post images when the day lighting is on tomorrow, but these are by far the coolest fish in my tank!

Offline Travis8896

Re: A must have in any reef tank!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 20:58:58 »
How big of a tank do u have to have for a single and then for a trio I only have a 90 gallon would that hold a trio
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 21:02:31 »
How big of a tank do u have to have for a single and then for a trio I only have a 90 gallon would that hold a trio

Nope. :(

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+3111&pcatid=3111

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 21:14:40 »
How true is the rating on this because I know sometimes they rate it extremely high
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 21:45:25 »
How true is the rating on this because I know sometimes they rate it extremely high

I know someone who has a trio in a 90 gallon.  They seem to be doing very well.  However, mine are in a 150.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 22:07:22 »
Ok would they do good by themselves?

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 22:33:36 »
Ok would they do good by themselves?

Well, they're considered "schooling bannerfish".   Therefore, I would assume they do best in groups.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 22:48:32 »
Aren't you pretty well stocked already, Travis?

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 23:24:52 »
Well my blue hippo died so I'm looking for another fish and u can always add one more so  long as their not to big lol but I'm getting close to being maxed

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 13:07:36 »
Well, crummy pic...but here you go:

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 13:15:22 »
It didn't go up and because their schooling fish does that mean u have to have more than 1?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 14:11:20 »
That Tomini is still looking good.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 14:30:33 »
That the tomini I am thinking of?

If so, nothing is gonna kill that little #&*$
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 14:31:46 »
That the tomini I am thinking of?

If so, nothing is gonna kill that little #&*$

Thats the one. About how old is that guy now?

Offline volcano

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 14:51:24 »
It didn't go up and because their schooling fish does that mean u have to have more than 1?

Just because it's a schooling fish, doesn't mean you need more than one.  However, I think they acclimate better in a group.  Plus, it's recommended to add members of the same species at the same time to prevent fighting.

Thanks - Twisted!  That's the tomini.  It's an awesome fish too!  It eats algae off the glass, circulation pumps, etc.  It's a great fish for algae control.

You're right Boonjob.  It's one tough fish.  My yellow tang beat it up pretty badly at first.  So I put them in QT for several weeks and added the tomini back to the display first.  A few days later added the yellow and they never scrap with each other now.   

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 14:55:06 »
That's how I ended up with it. It got beat up by a pbt. Lol and Cody got rid of it for being a bully. Ironic don't yea think?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 15:08:55 »
I didnt get rid of him for being a bully, he just was, he went with my tank when i sold the 80... He was abully in that tank because he was the biggest... he killed two kleins.

Offline volcano

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 15:28:49 »
I didnt get rid of him for being a bully, he just was, he went with my tank when i sold the 80... He was abully in that tank because he was the biggest... he killed two kleins.

That's crazy, he is a very peaceful fish in my tank.  My yellow is the boss, but has chilled out since I removed a PBT.   

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 16:33:02 »
He was with a sailfin, and did fine, but once the sailfin moved tanks he became obnoxious.. He needs that bigger fish to keep him in check.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 20:40:35 »
Well, crummy pic...but here you go:

Those are sweet brother. I need a bigger tank I just can't talk my wife into giving up the couch

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 21:56:18 »
Sweet fish one question what's the red coral directly under the yellow tang?

Offline volcano

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 21:59:07 »
Sweet fish one question what's the red coral directly under the yellow tang?

If you are talking about the one under the yellow tang, on the sand bed, that is a trachyphyllia.

Thank you Steve!  I can't imagine why your wife would want a couch over a fish tank.   ;D

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 22:11:04 »
Ok ya that's the one I was talking about it has a nice color to it

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 22:11:57 »
THose look great together.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:09 »
I have the same problem, Steve lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 00:30:14 »
Really nice fish there.  I'm missing my tank so bad. But in 27 weeks ill be done with training and will get my first station where ill be for a few years and will deffently be starting another.  But on a much larger scale than last time.  so its worth the wait!!   

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 06:38:36 »
I might have to look into getting a set when I get back. They just look so happy.

Offline volcano

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 08:55:26 »
Ok ya that's the one I was talking about it has a nice color to it

Thanks, it's a very pretty coral.  There is another trachyphyllia to the right of the tang on the sand bed.  It has even better color and it's rare.  My thanks go to Brian (Lazylivin), for hooking me up with those 2. ;)

I might have to look into getting a set when I get back. They just look so happy.

Definitely look into getting some.  They are really cool looking fish!  LiveAquaria has the schooling bannerfish for $69.00 each.  I almost purchased a trio of the Red Sea Bannerfish, but the price scared me off starting @ $159.00

Congrats, CharlieWeaver!  Hopefully, you get a 400 gallon wall tank and share pics! :)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 09:52:37 »
400 that's tiny. Lol.  How bout 750+!!  That is what I dream of getting. Lol but deffently I will be hooking yall up with pics once I start buying and building.   

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline volcano

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:58 »
400 that's tiny. Lol.  How bout 750+!!  That is what I dream of getting. Lol but deffently I will be hooking yall up with pics once I start buying and building.   

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

That would be awesome!  My buddy Dave @ vivid aquariums put an 800 gallon in his store and spent a massive amount of dough for it.  It is a real beauty to see in person!