2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Algae on bottom of tank  (Read 2490 times)

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
Algae on bottom of tank
« on: November 12, 2010, 00:18:20 »
it blankets about 30% of the bottom of the tank. I like the way it looks but wondering if I should clean it out with the syphon or is it ok to let it be. Sorry if this is a dumb question I am still in the learning process and think I am doing a good job but still lots to learn. It is purple

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Algae on bottom of tank
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:35:22 »
With your description of "blankets" and "purple" is sounds like cyanobacteria, the dreaded red slime algae. Does it look similar to this?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:37:25 »

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:26:06 »
yes it looks simiar but is more purple than red....actually wouldnt say it is red at all

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:38 »
If it is something that you can siphon out of your tank then it is not likely healthy.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:52:40 »
yes it looks simiar but is more purple than red....actually wouldnt say it is red at all

Red is a loose term ... I have seen it look brown and red and purple  :laugh:

It still needs to go. It is typically a sign of nutrients not being consumed or low flow, that allows it to settle and grow.

I think it is safe to say everyone has had it at one time or another. Especially if your tank is a new setup.

And just remember ... ASK QUESTIONS !!!  ;D  Thats what the club is here for and no one on here will flame you for it.

I myself feel the need to as a silly question at least once a week. Sometimes more  :laugh:

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 13:09:47 »
thank you so much it will be out of there with in the hour. Thanks again

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 16:33:59 »
But it is also important to try and determine what caused it. If you remove the cyano (and despite your best efforts your not going to get it all) but leave all else the same, It'll be back very quickly, like in a couple days. (or less!)

Cyano can be tough because it can survive & thrive in a very broad range of conditions. I would start with a water test, be sure to include nitrates and phosphates. I would also look at the lighting system, what type of lamps are they, how many & how many watts, how many hours per day are they on and probably the most overlooked,  how old are the lamps.

Does the tank get any sunlight throughout the day? Do you have strong or weak circulation in the aquarium? Is it a sand bed, if so how deep is it & how often is it cleaned? What kind of filtration does the tank have? what is your regular maintenance routine?

Check these things out and report back, I bet we can come up with some ideas of cause and solution.

Joel

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:50:33 »
Ok joel I have a sand bed with some coral gravel over flow filter into a trickle filter over bio balls through a sponge filter then through the return pump. lights are on for about 12 hours. I am using a corallife f40-T12-BP whatever that means lol....I think my current is good I have the return pump blowing at one end and a Hydor Koralia fan at the other. My levels are all in good range but I will check again tomorrow and let you know exact levels. And you are right it was back in two days  :angry4:

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 05:57:45 »
When you test, please include the results for PH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Phosphate and Alk. Also, include What brand of test kit was used to test the water. (check for expiration date on the test it)  And, How old are the light bulbs?