2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: return pump for two story  (Read 1274 times)

Offline dbowman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
return pump for two story
« on: December 17, 2019, 00:02:12 »
i was thinking about running a 75 gallon DT on my ground floor with a 55 gal tank acting as a sump in my basement. i wanted to use a current 6011 DC return pump to lift 9 feet but customer service at current usa said using it for that much head height would not be a good idea and i should stick to AC pumps. my next great idea was to put both tanks in the basement. when i was planning on using a 29 gal tank for the sump i bought a 26 gal bowfront and built a stand so that the height to the rim of the bowfront would be the same as having the 29 under the marineland 75 gal combo that i bought. i bought a bubble magus curve 5, and a sicce syncra 3.0 to complement the system but it seemed cramped under the 75. the diy siphon drain works and the syncra was easy to use but i want a larger refugium area. i have a 55 gal that would give me 24 inches of fuge, 10 inches of skimmer and 14 inches of return. i am really into using a DC return pump;any experience or suggestions?

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: return pump for two story
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 00:08:26 »
Run the biggest sump you can possibly use. You will never regret having more area for equipment. But also keep in mind that you are going to need access into the sump to work on the equipment from time to time, so be sure you have plenty of room to remove skimmer or do any maintenance it may need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 07:54:42 »
Stick with the original plan of having the display up stairs.  A basement sump is awesome.  I think jebao makes a dc pump capable of pumping up that high.
I run an external pump and love it.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:04:55 »
thanks Keith92

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:17:07 »
i have decided to go with the Hydor Seltz D 2400 vario controllable AC pump.with the head of 10 feet i expect around 500 gph.
it arrived damaged from Marine Depot on the 2nd. i emailed them on the evening of the 2nd. customer service emailed me yesterday(7th) offering refund/replacement. i chose replacement. the replacement arrives tomorrow(9th). excellent response and turnaround!
Meanwhile i drilled the holes to the basement and am baffling the 55 gal sump.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 15:55:02 »
so moving the narrative to a different category :)