2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Today is the day!  (Read 4186 times)

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
Today is the day!
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:33:21 »
I'm picking up my 220 gallon tank....  I'm hoping it goes smooth...  I couldn't get anyone to help except for my mom and 2 sisters...  I guess I have no friends  :-Cry  anyways..  so there is 5 of us which includes the guy i'm buying it from...  so the girls on one end and me and him on the other and I think we will be fine.. I hope..
- deejay

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Today is the day!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:55:38 »
Congratulations and Good Luck.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 13:09:27 »
Good luck !!!!  You'll love it.  I love my 220,  just wish I had longer arms ...   :matrix-smiley-007:

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 13:27:39 »
gotta see pics of this beat when you get it home. but just my $.02 you may want to have you and the other guy of opposite sides and fill in the ladies equally on the ends...that way if they can't hold the weight at least the two guys have the ends instead of one end falling and you two holding the other up

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 13:28:05 »
btw...that wasn't meant to be a sexist statement just something i have experienced

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 15:56:52 »
btw...that wasn't meant to be a sexist statement just something i have experienced

Uh-huh .... sure .... Take it back ....  :th_taptaptap_sml:     lol ...

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 16:01:41 »
Uh-huh .... sure .... Take it back ....       lol ...

Simmer Down T-rex arms  :party0040:
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 16:10:33 »
lol. i regret nothing.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 16:12:44 »
Sorry, I get a little flustered when my arm strength is questioned ...    :-Whipped

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 16:16:47 »
nothing to be sorry for. i wasn't questioning yours, or any woman in particular, arm strength. just playing the stats

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 16:25:51 »
great can wait to see pics
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 16:26:47 »
nothing to be sorry for. i wasn't questioning yours, or any woman in particular, arm strength. just playing the stats

lmao .. I was just messing with ya ....  but was going to ask if you wanted to arm wrestle .....

Ok, now back to the tank ... post pics soon !!

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 19:18:14 »
Good luck, I hate moving tanks with out enough help.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 21:13:49 »
Woohoo!  Was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It went really well. On our way home. Will it be okay to sit in an outside garage for the night? 

I didn't realize how damn big 220 gallon is. I can't wait to get it up.
- deejay

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 22:07:15 »
Yes it will be fine to sit outside for a night. I wouldn't let it sit out if it gets below freezing.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 22:54:23 »
I also just noticed one of the center braces is broken. How can I fix that?
- deejay

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 00:31:53 »
Here is some pics

- deejay

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 00:51:51 »
Can you drill some holes and run a wire tie through them or cut a piece of plexiglass and use a acrylic glue to attach them

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 00:58:00 »
where would be the best place to get the plexiglass?  I would just glue it under the broken one from one end to the other?
- deejay

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 01:13:53 »
Yes either on bottom or top of the brace, wherever you get best contact. You can have a piece cut at lowes or homedepot that would fit width/length. Just be sure you are using the acrylic cement.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:13 »
do I glue it to the glass or the plastic?
- deejay

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 01:21:11 »
Just the plastic.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 16:38:09 »
is plexiglass and acrylic the same thing?  I called a place and they told me it was and I just want to make sure before I go buying some..
- deejay

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 18:25:13 »
That top brace isn't that expensive and not hard to change, not worth the trouble of using any other method to fix it.  Been there done that.  Not worth the hassle if your repair lets go after its filled up.  I can tell you from experience acrylic won't hold if glued to it due to being dissimilar materials of the plastics.  And no Acrylic and Plexiglass isn't the same thing.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 19:12:46 »
What about using bolts and drill holes?

where would i even order a new top?
- deejay

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 11:11:44 »
You could drill and bolt it but remember the plastic probabaly cracked due to it being brittle from Metal Halide lights.  My replacement brace for my 150g was only 30.00, I can't imagine yours being over 50.00.  Joel (on here) ordered mine, but I'm sure any place that sells aquariums could order one in.  For me its cheap insurance and peace of mind knowing its correct and not going to break and leave me with 220 gallons of saltwater on the floor.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 18:01:58 »
You could drill and bolt it but remember the plastic probabaly cracked due to it being brittle from Metal Halide lights.  My replacement brace for my 150g was only 30.00, I can't imagine yours being over 50.00.  Joel (on here) ordered mine, but I'm sure any place that sells aquariums could order one in.  For me its cheap insurance and peace of mind knowing its correct and not going to break and leave me with 220 gallons of saltwater on the floor.

I actually checked with two places and they told it was not possible for a 220 gallon...  so at this point I either buy a new tank, which is not going to happen or fix it.  I have a plan of attack on fixing and helping stablize it.  =)
- deejay

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 20:56:23 »

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 21:02:01 »
Try these guys as well.

perfecto's (317-773-6627)

or you could just PM Joel and see if he can get one...

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 21:41:54 »
Thanks.  I'll give them a call!
- deejay

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 22:17:18 »
ya i call b/s on that u can get new ones of any tank they are just trying to get u to buy a new tank
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 22:28:45 »
Yeah.  I hope replacing the frames are not too hard.  Hopefully it won't take too long as I am wanting to get my tank up and filled already with water, sand and lr.
- deejay

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 22:49:33 »
once u get the frame it should only take an hour to put the new one on  that wait 24 hors for the glue to dry
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 22:54:40 »
replacing them isn't too hard, took me and a buddy about 4 hours to remove the old one and 10 mins to install the new one.   You have to use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the brace in a few spots, then take a screwdriver and hammer and tap up on the plastic.  Once you get a section off then you just gently (gently being the key word) pry on the bracing and remove it slowly without chipping the glass.

One thing I've learned in this hobby nothing good comes from rushing, only bad.  While you may want the tank set up and running tomorrow, reality is even if you get a top brace on by the weekend its going to be a few months at the quickest before your putting in fish (unless you want to keep replacing fish and coral) 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 22:58:36 »
great post  blown and well said at the end
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 15:03:01 »
Two more places that don't. So no looking good to get a new frame. PErfecto told me if it isn't a perfect tank the frame wouldn't fit anyways. So either people are lying or it is indeed impossible to get one for a 220 gallon.
- deejay

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 15:07:25 »
What kind of glue holds the top frame on? or is it just silicone?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 15:15:53 »
replacing them isn't too hard, took me and a buddy about 4 hours to remove the old one and 10 mins to install the new one.   

I like the rimless look.  You should have left it like that  :o  I also second the not rushing.  Every tank upgrade i have done i had to put my livestock in a very small temp tank.  This caused me to rush to get the new tank ready.  You will ALWAYS find something you wish you did better.  Take it slow and build your dream system instead of being impatiant and having to deal with headaches later.  I wish I had.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 15:43:43 »
Do you know what brand the tank is? It should either be a prefecto or allglass which has changed names now.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 15:45:05 »
Two more places that don't. So no looking good to get a new frame. PErfecto told me if it isn't a perfect tank the frame wouldn't fit anyways. So either people are lying or it is indeed impossible to get one for a 220 gallon.

I would suspect you are not getting the truth.    You are probably going to have to get a retailer to order it for you.   Someone who has a bit more purchasing power than you.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 16:21:41 »
What kind of glue holds the top frame on? or is it just silicone?

Silicone

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 16:26:40 »
I like the rimless look.  You should have left it like that  :o  I also second the not rushing.  Every tank upgrade i have done i had to put my livestock in a very small temp tank.  This caused me to rush to get the new tank ready.  You will ALWAYS find something you wish you did better.  Take it slow and build your dream system instead of being impatiant and having to deal with headaches later.  I wish I had.

See those spots on the wall (left side of picture) ya that's blood, after all that and stabbing myself with a screwdriver there was no way it was getting left off.

I guess you could always remove the bracing and install Glass Euro bracing,  my sump is done this way.  Is there a place in Chillicothe that cuts glass?  You would only need strips 2" wide by what ever length and width the tank is, silicone it in place and wait for it to dry.

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 17:44:18 »
There is a place here that does glass.  I need to find some info on the euro brace so I have some sort of knowledge on it if I go to the glass place.

I did call one last place about frames.  They told me with that large of a tank its a huge liability issue with selling the frames.
- deejay

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 18:38:49 »
I'll try to get some pics of my sump tomorrow (at work now) so you can see how they go. 

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 18:39:05 »
They told me with that large of a tank its a huge liability issue with selling the frames.

This just sounds like a blatant "lie" on their part... are they saying they "warranty" any smaller of a frame, and that they are willin gto be held accountable for a smaller frame failing...? LOL I doubt you would get anyone on their end to claim liability on any "non-professionally/factory" installed frame regardless of size.

I don't understand how this is sooo hard to come buy and the direct disregard from the stores. They are obviously being made... they aren't making every tank with a custom frame....

What's the dimensions of your tank(exactly)... and the dimensions of the frame on it...
L
W
H
Thickness of Glass

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 20:02:06 »
ya have u tryed any of our sponsers about this
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 20:18:48 »
72x24x30 1/2in thick glass..  haven't tried sponsors..  I will do that now..
- deejay

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 20:21:27 »
ya try them
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 23:07:04 »
Here is what I am going to do..

How..

- 4 nylon screws (#10 should be good or something similar), nuts and washers
- three pieces of repair plastic/acrylic
- some glue that will bond to that stuff

Step 1: Cut Acrylic/Plastic

Get a piece of acrylic or other plastic and cut it to the width of the brace. I would make it about 8" long. Get two other pieces of the same length and cut them to the width of the lower lip on either side of the top of the brace.

The large piece should go on the bottom, the two smaller pieces should go on either side of the top.

Step 2: Drill Acrylic/Plastic

Drill 4 holes in the large piece such that a total of 4 are on each side of the crack with 2 of the 4 lined up with the lower lip on the brace. Drill corresponding holes in the brace and smaller pieces of plastic.

Step 3: Glue/Screw in Place

Put a nice bead of glue on all pieces and glue the three new pieces of plastic in place, secure with the nylon screws.

Going to do it to bother braces, except I am not going to cut my braces..   so thoughts??

Still looking into the euro brace deal. 

- deejay

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:53 »
If you are going to do this do not use nylon screws, THEY WILL FAIL due to the heat from the lights and uv rays from the lights. I would only use stainless steel screws. Lowes and Menards both carry them.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:48 »
ya that can work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 08:39:57 »
Just get a couple slits of glass, 1/4-1/2" and put them on there to make a eurobrace. I like eurobraces because then you have no supports getting in your way when you need to get in your tank to catch fish or anything.