2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sons Christmas present!  (Read 4989 times)

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« on: January 19, 2014, 23:30:50 »
Hello fellow Reefers!

My son wanted his own tank for Christmas so back in mid December I came across a drilled 40 breeder and off to work I went.

Here are a couple of pictures of the stand almost complete.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Re: Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 23:42:01 »
Moved over to the iPad as the phone had a few early pictures on it.

After the woodwork was done I was off to the finish room.  While I was doing the finish I forgot to take pictures. Here is one complete during the water test.

I wanted to give the stand a really clean shaker furniture look. Timeless yet modern as far as clean lines and no trim.

Happy Reefing!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 23:53:05 »
That looks nice.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 00:01:30 »
I've been playing around with acrylics for the past few years so I am going to load a series of pictures. These were taken the weekend after Christmas. I brought all the pieces home and built it with my son on the kitchen island. 

I really do not have the time at the moment to do a full build thread on this yet. But I thought I could share a few in this thread.

Here we go

All the parts cut out and Bluetooth speaker playing a little bluegrass.

Pulling back the paper and trimming it.

A little sanding jig I made to take the router marks off of all glued edges. The edges need to be perfectly square and flawless to get really good capillary action with the water thin glue.

First glueing the ends to the sides. You can see I'm using weld-4 to do the glueing.

Now the other side.

Installing the walls and sock holder. You can see the euro brace on top.

Bubble trap installed.

You can see I've already attached the euro brace and I am now evening up the bottom edges and removing all router lines.

Here it is completed and water tested. I made a couple lids to keep salt creep and evaporation to a minimum.

More to come!

Today I finally put water in it, and here it is all plumbed in.

lids installed. I built the sump for a octopus SRO 1000 internal which was grandmas big gift, with a little help from dad.

Here's an action shot with socks installed

Here is a motor shot.

I made this a high flow tank utilizing a pan world 1250 gallon per hour return pump running 1" all the way to the 3/4 educter.

It has a 1.5 drain all the way through the bulkhead then split into two 1" drain pipes.

Here's a shot all done this evening.

I will shoot more shots as we get rock work done a start into the cycle.

Hope you enjoy. I sure enjoyed building this one.

With the flow that's in the tank there will be no need for power heads, which was what I wanted.

Acan/SPS tank. I've ordered the add on parts to attach his tank to my apex and keep it controlled also.

I can't wait to go help him find his livestock.  And a few of dad's frags!

Happy Reefing!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 00:31:20 by cbenner »

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 00:47:22 »

That looks nice.

Thanks Joe.  I went for a south Florida aged painted look, cottage style.

I used a little curly maple on the cantilevered light holder.  And 1" hard maple for the bones of it.

The rest of the stand was built using cabinet grade maple plywood and hard maple five piece flat panel doors. I went with mortised butt hinges instead of stainless euro hinges. They take up space and eventually rust anyhow.

Happy Reefing!

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:37 »
Looks like ole dad is taking care of him! NICE Build Chris, looking good

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:19 »
You looking to adopt? Lol

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 07:00:22 »

Looks like ole dad is taking care of him! NICE Build Chris, looking good

Thanks Ricky,

You might recognize that tank, drimo on Cincy had it up for sale. Heather bought it and I bought it off of her.

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:04:39 »

You looking to adopt? Lol

Lol, nope one has been enough for me.  I told him he doesn't realize how lucky he is.

He's reading the conscientious aquarist at the moment.

Happy Reefing!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:12:44 »
Looks great, I really like how you've hung the light.  The cabinet looks fantastic too.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:40:12 »

Looks great, I really like how you've hung the light.  The cabinet looks fantastic too.

Thanks!

Happy Reefing!

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:23 »
looks real nice !

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:23 »
That sump is crazy nice. Would love to be able get a sump like that under my tank.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:00:43 »
Thanks Joe!
   I spent quite a bit of time studying the flow that was going to go through this sump what skimmer I wanted to use. I tend to overbuild my sumps 3/8 cell cast. Basically, I wanted all plumbing to run in straight lines from the return pump to the return bulkhead. Also the 1.5 drain back to the sump.

I also installed a manifold for two reactors.  Once everything is exactly where I want it. I'm planning to do a split lid, to cover the skimmer area also. Just letting the reactors, skimmer cup and air intake above the lid.

Here are some pics of the plumbing. I fought a couple small leaks so I utilized a little aqua mend to solve that.  I have came to the conclusion it's just better to glue everything instead of using threaded fittings.

I read some articles about plumbing swimming pools and getting equal pressure to all jets.

You can see I went from 1" to .75 when it hit the circular manifold. Then dropped to .5 valves.

The pressure is equal on each valve. 

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:09 »
The next part of this journey will be doing the rock work. I picked up forty pounds of Marco key largo dry rock.

After reading many threads to decide on the rock I wanted to use I decided to go all dry rock and dry tropic of Eden reef flakes for substrate. 

It should be really fun building the rock structure with my boy. He getting pretty excited. But with any kid he's asking when the first fish can go in.. Read the book son!

Once the rock work is complete I'm planning on building an acrylic stand system to hold the rock up off the sand bed to allow full flow under the rock.

So no sand until that's built.

Presents from mom. Hopefully I can get him enjoying testing and do my tanks when needed. I get burnt out on testing sometimes..

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:46 »
I also wanted to mention I'm lighting this system with one of the Marine Solutions led fixtures I picked up during the power buy Ohio Reef had last year.  I bought two of them and I'm only using one at the moment. As time goes on if I need to add the second one I will.
I don't have a ton of knowledge on LEDs yet. I'm still an old school MH VHO combination fan.

Happy Reefing!

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:13 »
I also wanted to mention I'm lighting this system with one of the Marine Solutions led fixtures I picked up during the power buy Ohio Reef had last year.  I bought two of them and I'm only using one at the moment. As time goes on if I need to add the second one I will.
I don't have a ton of knowledge on LEDs yet. I'm still an old school MH VHO combination fan.

Happy Reefing!

Be prepared for the blues, or whites to stop working one day. I had two of them quit working, and others I know had the same issue.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:34 »

Be prepared for the blues, or whites to stop working one day. I had two of them quit working, and others I know had the same issue.

Thanks for the heads up!

I wander if they are still under warranty? I'll hit Joncat up and find out what was up with that order.  I heard or read a couple threads where people had some issues with them on that order.

I know Joe and John are stand up guys and I'm sure they would help me work through the issue.

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:27 »

looks real nice !

Thanks! Many hours of sweat and thought went into this system.

Happy Reefing!

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 10:47:17 »
Thanks for the heads up!

I wander if they are still under warranty? I'll hit Joncat up and find out what was up with that order.  I heard or read a couple threads where people had some issues with them on that order.

I know Joe and John are stand up guys and I'm sure they would help me work through the issue.

Happy Reefing!

yeah John made it all right with me. Just wanted you to be aware and not be left without a light if something happens.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:38 »
The system looks awesome. Fantastic acrylic work. Nice job!

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:54 »
Looks great nice clean build

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:04 »

The system looks awesome. Fantastic acrylic work. Nice job!

Thanks Brian!

I've really enjoyed working with acrylic.  It's very hard to get an entire project flawless and I now understand why you see many sumps built out of 1/4 inch and white. It does not show the bubbles.  As long as it holds water and performs is key.

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:24 »

Looks great nice clean build

Thank You!

Happy Reefing!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 11:19:24 »
Thanks Brian!

I've really enjoyed working with acrylic.  It's very hard to get an entire project flawless and I now understand why you see many sumps built out of 1/4 inch and white. It does not show the bubbles.  As long as it holds water and performs is key.

Happy Reefing!

Personally, I like the bubbles. It goes with the whole aquarium theme.

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:48 »
Looks awesome,  quick question though.  It appears that with the way the sump is built and baffles that any evaporation will affect the water level in the protein skimmer area.  Are you concerned with this as it seems that anu change in water level will affect skimmer function.  Awesome quality work and would love to try my hand at acrylic work.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:47 »
Fantastic setup, Chris! Before you know it, your son will want to upgrade just like his father! Looking forward to seeing this aquarium turn into a reef. I am glad your son is into the hobby. Makes learning fun!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:58 »
This is an awesome build!
Chromiumlux

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 12:30:39 »
Looks awesome,  quick question though.  It appears that with the way the sump is built and baffles that any evaporation will affect the water level in the protein skimmer area.  Are you concerned with this as it seems that anu change in water level will affect skimmer function.  Awesome quality work and would love to try my hand at acrylic work.

It's kind of hard to see, but the only place evaporation will be noticed will be in the return chamber?  To the left of the skimmer is a 5.5 inch wall a 1" space then a wall running from top to 1" off the bottom then another 1" space and another 5.5" wall. This will take all micro bubbles out of the system. Even if it ran the pump dry the skimmer section would still hold 5.5" of water. 

Here is another picture with better lighting.

Notice how the water is 1/4 above the first wall. With the necked down flow rate and head height and the sump being 15" wide it came out to being almost exactly 1/4 above the wall. The skimmer calls for 5.75" water depth. So it's right on the nose.

Here is a picture with one gallon removed

Happy Reefing!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:38:07 by cbenner »

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:53 »

Fantastic setup, Chris! Before you know it, your son will want to upgrade just like his father! Looking forward to seeing this aquarium turn into a reef. I am glad your son is into the hobby. Makes learning fun!

Thanks Tim,

This has been a really fun project. Having my son involved with it has made it that much more fun.

I'm excited to see how this reef will turn out also.

Happy Reefing!

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 12:54:06 »
Ok i can see it better now,  only thing i like better is a little bigger return area.  Your filter sock implementation is great and i love the idea.

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 13:08:44 »
What is the purpose of the two valves pointing down into the skimmer section and why is it important that the pressure at both valves be equal?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 13:16:19 »
What is the purpose of the two valves pointing down into the skimmer section and why is it important that the pressure at both valves be equal?

Those are for the reactors. If you look close you can see them in the pic. They are both in the off position.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 13:31:05 »

Ok i can see it better now,  only thing i like better is a little bigger return area.  Your filter sock implementation is great and i love the idea.

I agree with you on having a larger return area. With the pump I was using it did not allow for much more room.
The filter sock area took up a ton of space

Once I have all my apex parts in I will build a pressure switch to control the ATO.. Within .5"

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 13:38:21 »

As twizted1 stated they are for reactors.

why is it important that the pressure at both valves be equal?

Because I'm anal about things. LOL.

You will see many types of plumbing, one being a manifold built with one pipe and a bunch of T's with valves  and a cap on one end of the run.
This type of system will work just fine also.  I personally like to have the full amount of pressure at all valves.

This can be achieved via using a loop configuration and stepping down in fitting size as you go.

Happy Reefing!

Offline gremliw

• Egg
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 14:08:28 »
wow it looks great! nice job, great gift

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 14:18:05 »
Thank you for the information.   Good thing I am slow in completing my plumbing.  Hadn't thought about putting in valves for reactors.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Sons Christmas present!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 15:24:28 »
Thank you for the information.   Good thing I am slow in completing my plumbing.  Hadn't thought about putting in valves for reactors.

Sometimes i think over plumbing is better.  Like I said at the swap on Saturday, I've had to cut and glue after my reef was up and running.  It always makes you worry about the toxins being released into water.

Happy Reefing!

Just checked out your thread it's looking great. Let me know when your ready to put it all together and I'll come and help.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 15:36:10 »
I now have the reactors online.. I'm not real happy with the hose setup on these and I'm sure they will bother me till I figure out a cleaner looking system.

I also added somewhat of a bubble trap on my skimmer output. This was more just to quiet it down more than anything.

Happy Reefing!

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 15:37:40 »
Looks pretty clean to me!! Nice !
John

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 16:07:43 »

Looks pretty clean to me!! Nice !

Thanks John, I tend to over think things sometimes. I'm sure in the near future Daniel and I will be up looking at fish.

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 17:34:41 »

I was finally able to work on the aqua scape this weekend.

I ended up getting lazy and did not do the acrylic rock stand to hold the rock above the sand bed.

Here is a picture of rock work being done.

That's my best buddy Kurt in the photo. There we're quite a few brews involved with this.

The Marco rock is so nice to work with! I used their e-400 cement and aqua-mend to build the sculpture.

Just wanted to do a little update on Daniels tank.

Oh and here is Dads Christmas present.

New Gyre flow frag tank setup.  There was a 30 long sitting in this spot.

That system was attached to my DT so I cut it free and brought in this frag tank, I built a few months back.

Their is all the live rock and chalice corals that were in the 30 long in the tank now. But soon enough SPS.

There is a picture of the stand. 
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/edy6yga4.jpg[/IMG

I'll try to do a thread on the gyre flow tank in the future. Kurt and I have been playing around with different flows and technics over the last couple years, looking  to find better ways to grow coral.

Kurt has had his gyre flow tank up for almost two years and is growing the most amazing chalice collection in it.

Hope every bodies staying worm! More to come!

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 17:38:14 »

Happy Reefing!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 17:43:32 »
That came out great! Excellent Job

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 17:54:41 »
Lucky boy! Now he needs to come to the frag swap and fill that new tank.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 00:36:43 »

Lucky boy! Now he needs to come to the frag swap and fill that new tank.

That's the plan. He's my new test master!

Happy Reefing!

Offline docsky

• Fry
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:43 »
Looking good Chris!

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 14:02:05 »
looks great

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 14:17:27 »

Looking good Chris!

Thanks Mark! It amazes me how much time it takes to do new systems from scratch.

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 14:18:16 »

looks great

Why, Thank You Sir!

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 20:33:44 »
Hello All,

Here is a little update on the progress of the 40 breeder.

I added my Apex components and ran a 30foot apex cable I picked up from usbfirewire.com.

I'm pretty sure my wife is not very happy with how I managed to get my top off water and apex cable to the tank.  Being that my house is an 1884 home I had no possible way to get through the wall.

Check out this contraption.

Over the doorway and down the wall to the tank I go. LOL

Happy Reefing!

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 20:36:01 »
I plan on building my ATO vacuum setup this week. I'll post up the build.

Happy Reefing!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 20:47:54 »
What's wrong with that?

Offline Beginner

• Fry
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 21:55:53 »
Lol chris that's great. This just goes to show that a reefer will do whatever it takes.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:40 »
What's wrong with that?

LOL, I really don't have any issues with it. In my book it needed done. I don't even notice it.

I was mounting it last night and my wife came in shaking her head.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 07:18:41 »

LOL, I really don't have any issues with it. In my book it needed done. I don't even notice it.

I was mounting it last night and my wife came in shaking her head.

Sounds like its time to get rid of the wife lol.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:53 »
Sounds like its time to get rid of the wife lol.

I have a pretty good one! She put up with me taking over the entire dinning room and turning it into my fish room.

It's time for a new home.  Which is coming soon. As soon as my rental sells.

Not looking forward to moving tanks but a basement would be soooo nice!!