2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got my 90 Gallon RR  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Re: Got my 90 Gallon RR
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 20:32:10 »
I used the stick on window tint from Walmart, I really Like the look of it.  My last background was stick on so the tape would always peel.  I haven't got to clean the back glass because of the HOB skimmer.  I was all excited Wednesday night to get my sump started and when I plugged the pump in all I heard was a clunk so thankfully I put a union on the plumbing.  When I removed the cover of the pump I discovered the magnet had broke right down the center.  On a brighter note I plugged in the Octopus skimmer for a minutes and it looks like it's really going to produce for me. I've never had any real problems with algae but everyday I have to clean the neon green light film which sticks to the glass.  I'm thinking it may be the Reef Crystal Salt but I sure like how fast it dissolves.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 20:39:42 »
I use Reef Crystals and don't have any problems with it.  The only problems I'm aware of are that a few batches were low in Ca and Mg. 

Sorry to hear your pump broke.  :(

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 21:27:04 »
Well everything is running, I just hooked up the Phosban Reactor 150, im using a Maxi-Jet 600 pump which is located near the bottom of the sump.  The water flows up 16 inches I think I would of been better off using a MJ400 because I'm worried I'm going to burn up the pump.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 22:41:32 »
I'd be more worried about grinding up the reactor media than burning up the pump.  I hope you made sure it's not going to be too powerful.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 02:37:45 »
That is why I'm worried about the pump.  It seems like I have to turn the flow way down to get the phosban to stay put on the bottom of the reactor.  I need to post a short video clip on the internet and have someone take a look and see if I have the flow in the reactor where it should be.

Offline verper

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 18:26:16 »
You can't really burn up a magnetic impellered pump.  It is not like a regular motor with a direct drive impeller.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 22:04:18 »
I found a Maxi Jet 500 in the nano I don't use, it seems way quieter than the 600.  I didn't know magnetic pumps couldn't burn up by cutting the flow that is good to know.  When I put in my sump I didn't put any dividers in it due to the size of the skimmer, it looks like I may regret not adding them.  I thought it was sand floating around in the aquarium due to the diamond goby but after further inspection it seems that they are microbubbles.  Hopefully they won't be as bad after the skimmer breaks in.  does anyone know off hand the best water level to run the Octopus needlewheel 200?  I've tried searching but haven't come up with much, I'm running it in nine inches of water and the standpipe is up as far as possible and the bubbles are still about two inches from overflowing into the cup.  It seems this is common with this skimmer during the break in period but I don't see how it is all of a sudden going to make the bubbles go up another two inches.  I guess the thing that is bothering me the most is the amount of microbubbles returning to the display does anyone think these will subside a little after everything breaks in?  Thanks for all input. 

Offline verper

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 16:23:12 »
There is a chance that the microbubbles will stop.  Not real good odds, but I have heard of it happening.

slandis3

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 17:57:17 »
you can run the output of your skimmer throught a filter sock to help with the bubbles

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 22:31:40 »
Well the skimmer has some foam going into the cup  ;D ,  I'm still going to have trace down the microbubbles.  I turned on a light over the sump and there really doesn't appear to be any microbubbles making it to the return pump.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 21:53:58 »
Some more pictures.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 21:12:39 »
I know this is bringing up an old post, but im interested in the paint you used for your stand.  I just primed the outside of my homebuilt stand and want to paint it black. I like the way yours turned out and would like to use the same sheen.  Did you use Flat, Satin, or Semi-gloss?

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 00:30:39 »
It's Kilz Semi-Gloss, I would tell you the color but I'm in Waikiki :)   I will look Saturday when I get back.  It's seems to hold up well I usually wipe it down with a wet cloth after I drip saltwater on it but it still looks like the day we painted it.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 10:07:29 »
Lived there for 3 years...

Try to get up to Roundtop Drive and hike the "hidden" bamboo trails.

Get up to Punchbowl, very cool veterans cemetary.

Of course you probably have hit all the other touristy spots, Waikiki Beach, Haunama Bay, Arizona, North Shore, a laua, etc... 

Eat at the Wisteria, Yummis, and get an authentic Korean Plate lunch at a roadside shack.  Try the Hulihuil chicken if you can find someone stopped....

Excellent diving on the West coast by the power plant, they have sharks.... BTW AFAIK Pearl Harbor is the largest breeding ground for Hammerheads, (the big ones not the bonnets)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 23:16:55 »
Thanks Riderc82, Tomorrow im going to pick up some black semi-gloss and paint my stand.

I wish I was in Waikiki; our weather is plummeting to the 60’s for a high tomorrow.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:17 »
It's really funny you mentioned the Roundtop Drive we done that today after we hiked to Manoa falls and went to the Zoo.  I went snorkeling  at Haunama Bay yesterday the fish were amazing.  I also went to a laua at Paradise Cove yesterday.  I just got married on the 20th so this is our first true vacation together except going to Tennessee because we both went to college and were busy with work.  I must say I would recommend Waikiki to anyone it is breathtaking and extremely clean.  People told us everything was super expensive here but really the prices seem similar to other vacation spots that are not half as nice.  My only complaint is the price of parking we are staying at Wyndham Resort which has an attached parking garage and it cost $25 a day.  The people in the resort claim the parking garage doesn't belong to Wyndham but I have a hard time believing it.  I would have to say we saved more by getting the rental car though because we can drive to the locations and not have to ride the bus and pay the price to see these "hidden places." 

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 07:33:14 »
Most of the parking in the Honolulu area belongs to a consortium of the Parking Mob, Parking Nazi's, Parking Gouge your wallet because we own the only parking area group.  It's so bad that we lived 1.5 miles from UH and my wife would walk to school to avoid parking, that and to avoid taking the bus which took longer than walking.  The wait to get on campus parking was like 2 years.

All that and I would move back there in a heartbeat.