2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How is everyone's tank?  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
How is everyone's tank?
« on: September 15, 2008, 00:08:25 »
well all of the places losing power just wondering how everyones tank made it through it.  I came into work so I could get some of my school work done that is due tonight. 

Hopefully my tank will be okay.  I had a generator on the tank for almost 5 hours with just my pump running and lights on the sump going. Well for some reason my generator went out... ya great.  I was able to locate three pumps that operate on batteries and pump air into the tank through air-stones. So honestly I have no idea how tank is doing right now.

just hope everyone's tank makes it through the power outages.

slandis3

Re: How is everyone's tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 00:12:05 »
our power was only out untill about 5:30 but i have a power inverter i can run my main pump on. i also hope everyone else is ok.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:08:58 »
my power came on sometime last night, I woke up at around 5:30 AM & my monitor was on.

Since my tank is a FO tank I just added a bucket of h20 from my sump to the tank every hour or so to get a little circulation.  They all seem fine this morning...

However, I am not going to make a battery backup sysytem for my tank so I do not have to stress out about the tank not being on any more.  I went to Meijers last night to try to throw one together but they didn't have boat bilge pumps.....

300g tub o fish

mash35231

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:20:46 »
The electricity was out for 15 hours and I lost 2 fish and 3 shrimp. It could have been worse....I'll be looking for a battery operated air pump and water pump...How much is a power inverter?

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:49 »
they start at $50 and go up

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:10 »
Power went out at 2pm yesterday and is still out. We are staying in a hotel right now.  Midwest Express came during the outage and got my cube.  My battery backup has been running strong since 2p yesterday on the temp tank everything is in. I'm currently running a return pump and a tunze and my forklift battery is still showing full charge after 20 hours.

Joe

apelaston

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:18 »
Everything is fine in my tank but i am going 2 get something 2 run it while i am out of power next time. i was freakn out. any suggestions. i have no idea what i need.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:00:58 »
I've got a couple of battery powered airstones in my tanks, and I had to boil water on my grill this morning to float in water bottles inside the tank to keep the temp up. Everything seems to be ok so far. It's been without power for about 24 hours. If I could find a place that wasn't sold out of generators, I would go pick one up. I hope everyone else's tanks are ok.

slandis3

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:48:29 »
give 669-6150 a call. Thats the # for menards here in tipp. We had our power back on last night about 5:30 they might have one.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 13:21:55 »
I STILL HAVE A COUPLE OF BETTERY PUMPS AND 3 AUTO BATTERY BACK UPS.
A INVERTER AND A CAR BATTERY TO RUN A HEATER AND POWERHEAD ON WORKS GREAT TO AND A LOT CHEAPER THAN A GENERATOR. PLUS YOU CAN USE THE INVERTER ON CAMPING TRIPS AND SUCH.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 14:07:12 »
well I havent turned on my lights to see whats going on with the tank.  I am back to work again but before I came in I was able to get the crapped out generator to run and I also hooked up another generator that my dad had.  The generator is so big that my fridge, tv, dvd players, some lights, a fan or two and my entire tank heaters, return pump, power heads, and lights on the sump are up and running.  Letting my next door neighbor use the older generator for their fridge.

Glad to hear  there were not to many problems with everyone.  Just hope my electricity comes on some time soon

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 15:30:51 »
I am driving to Anderson Indiana to get a generator tonight.  From what I saw this morning everything is OK.  I was told by my friends dad that works at DPL, I may not get electricity until friday or saturday.  Crossing my fingers that everything is OK come 10 pm tonight when I get it hooked up.

quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 16:33:14 »
I only lost power for a few hours my two 970W battery back ups hold out prety strong only $160 a pice you can get the at best buy. no loss here. Hope you guys with out power make it if not I have a spare 55 fish tank up stairs ready to go.  ;D

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 17:18:08 »
Fortunately, our power was back on today when I got home around 2pm. The tank seemed fine, so my little airstones and hot water bottles must have helped a little. I was a little worried this morning when some of my lps looked stressed. My plate coral was swollen to 3x's the amount it normally is at night, and my acans were all shriveled up. Once I got the temp up to where it usually is, things started to look better. Definately going to invest in something to operate at least a pump and heater on for next time though. It's something I always knew would be good to have, but never thought I would actually need.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 21:04:14 »
My power was out for a total of 26 hours. I have a 6250 watt generator that I had running to operate the return pump, Refridgerator, and my big screen. It took about 10 gallons of gas. I would reccomend to anyone that has a tank of 100 gallons or more with $1000 or more invested in fish and corals to purchase a small generator to operate their return pump at a minimum. I spent like $550 and it has saved my azz twice.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 22:00:13 »
Heading into hour 33 without power. Thank goodness for batteries and neighbors who have power and unprotected wireless or I would be bored to tears.   :'( :)

So far no floating fish.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 22:10:28 »
tanks dead...  been down 36hrs and no ETA on when pwr will b restored.  have 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny that someone can have if they make it till tomorrow.  need to cancel the meeting for this month. sad sad day.  will keep u posted.
Dayton - 45459

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 22:18:53 »
tanks dead...  been down 36hrs and no ETA on when pwr will b restored.  have 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny that someone can have if they make it till tomorrow.  need to cancel the meeting for this month. sad sad day.  will keep u posted.

bummer. let us know when you rebuild. We can all help out with livestock.

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 22:19:59 »

Man i am so sorry to hear this. If anyone else is starting to lose there tank i have some room in our tank if needed. We have be fortunate to have had power since yesterday.  Has anyone heard from Joel or just coral? NDR seems to be doing good
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 22:22:39 by slandis3 »

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 22:38:50 »
That sucks Mitch. I'm sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 23:03:11 »
I MAY BEABLE TO FIND SOME ROOM AT THE SHOP IF NEEDED. BUT LET KNOW AS SOON AS YOU CAN. I HAVE A FISH ORDER DUE AT THE STORE IN THE MORNING AND A CORAL ORDER DUE AT THE AIR PORT SOMETIME AFTER NOON. I ALSO HAVE ROOM IN A 180, 125 & A 75 REEF AT HOME. IF I CAN HELP JUST LET ME KNOW.

ALSO I WILL HAVE MORE HURRICANE CATEGORY2 BATTERY POWERED AIR PUMPS INSTOCK LATE THURSDAY. I AM NOW OUT OF ALL AIRSTONES, TUBING, BATTERY PUMPS AND BATTERY BACKUPS.

I USALLY DO NOT OFFER PRE MIXED RO WATER, BUT FOR THOSE WITHOUT POWER I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO MIX SOME UP ( PLEASE SMALLER AMOUNTS) FOR YOU. JUST CALL BEFORE YOU COME TO MAKE SURE I HAVE THE WATER IN STOCK, I HAVE MANY PEOPLE NEEDING IT.  THE SALT I USE IS RED SEA CORAL PRO OR BRING YOUR OWN AND I WILL MIX IT FOR YOU.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 23:55:04 »
Sorry to hear about your tank Mitch. We lost power for a little less than 24hrs, and I had one fatality which was my banded coral shrimp.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 07:42:22 »
Yesterday (monday) was a nightmare for me, very few of my service accounts have electricity. I spent most of the day going to service accounts and removing the live stock or installing batt powered air pumps. I'm out of batt powered pumps, so are all the bait shops and sporting goods stores. No body had "D" batteries to power these pumps, it sucked!!!! I now have power at the shop so I started taking fish / corals to the shop to tank them until this is over. I have a limited amount of space to hold fish & corals if anyone needs it. PM me or respond here and we'll get it worked out. I'll check the site and my email on and off thru out the day.

Joel

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 08:34:34 »
i have room in my tank for anyone needs a fish hotel.  i can also make some rodi water if anyone needs it.  just pm me.

rick
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:02 »
we are good here. We bought a 5,000/6,250 watt generator Sunday night. We have all the tanks, two refrigerators, well pump, exhaust system, satellite tv, alarm system, microwave, cell phone chargers, and at one point an electric chainsaw (trees down) running on it.  I'm sure our neighbors are ready to kill us because of all the noise the generator makes! We do have room if anyone wants to bring stuff over. They are telling us that the power will be out for 4-5 days here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:57:06 by Sharona »