2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag Swaps  (Read 8754 times)

Offline verper

Frag Swaps
« on: October 08, 2008, 20:01:08 »
As mentioned in another thread, there are two regional frag swaps coming up.

CincyReef (Cincinnati) is hosting one on Oct 18th   http://www.cincyreef.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12124

CORA (Columbus) is hosting on Nov 1st   http://www.corareef.org/forum/

Some trading, buying, selling is done on FragSwapper  http://www.fragswapper.com/default.asp
Sign up and register for each event you are interested in and then request an item if you want it.  It will be put on hold for you.  Some FragSwapper rules of the game - http://www.corareef.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5983

quicksilver

Re: Frag Swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 20:36:06 »
swing by and get me I would like to catch a ride might find somthign to take with me.

Midwest Express

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 20:37:59 »
I can't make the cincy swap, but I can make CORA.  I am in Springfield so if anyone can pick me up or wants to ride along with me... you are all more than welcome.  I can fit 3 to 4 more in my car other then me.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 21:56:42 »
Will and I will be attending both days.  I'll have my stuff up on Fragswapper in a couple of days.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 22:12:21 »
whatca selling?? 

so is this cincy thing a big deal?

Lost Floridian

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 23:03:49 »
Will and I will be attending both days. 

umm, ok i guess

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 23:09:01 »
I hate you.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 23:09:20 »
You're going...like it or not.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 23:58:54 »
I was planning on going to both.  However, we got tickets to a couple of MSU football games (in E. Lansing) so our plans changed.  If we don't go to the game on Nov. 1, I will try to see if anyone is interested in carpooling.  My car is roomy and has great gas mileage so I would not mind driving people if our plans change.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:19:05 »
I'm planning on attending both too. Hey, do we have another Spartan fan on the boards?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 14:29:18 »
You're going...like it or not.

Is there really any point in him going? last year at the cora swap, Will mysteriously disappeared for most of it and re appeared at the end.

Hey, remember that girl at the cora swap? I'm thinking about going now.....

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 14:40:06 »
I'm planning on attending both too. Hey, do we have another Spartan fan on the boards?

And proud of it!   :D  My family's from western Michigan, dad went to MSU, I'm hoping to be able to transfer up there next fall to finish school and my little brother is also considering it right now.  I finally got an appointment with an advisor for the program I'm looking at and since it's during football season, we went the extra mile to get tickets.  Only bad part is that the two games we got them to are the dates of the frag swaps.

quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 15:01:36 »
Um does any one see a problem with michigan fans in ohio??? I am not sure but why move to ohio if you like michigan so much.  :withstupid   you know  I am just kidding I am a florida fan.  ;D

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 15:05:05 »
I hate Michigan.  I went to Michigan State.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 15:10:34 »
Is there really any point in him going? last year at the cora swap, Will mysteriously disappeared for most of it and re appeared at the end.

Hey, remember that girl at the cora swap? I'm thinking about going now.....

Hehehe.  I think you mean, "remember that coral at the CORA swap?"  C'mon, we don't want to get the boys in trouble.  Yeah, Will still swears he was "outside on the phone." 

Offline gthorpe2

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 23:44:36 »
I'm going to Cincyreef Frag Swap but not CORA.  These events are too close to one another and I won't have money for both of them.  Maybe next year one can be in the beginning of Summer and one at the end...?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 06:34:57 »
Hehehehe...gthorpe2...you're silly.  :)  CORA and CincyReef have a long history of battling over the dates. 

Indy and C-Sea have their frag swaps in the spring...and Cincy and CORA have theirs in the fall.

apelaston

sps
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 22:09:03 »
Is a montipora digitata a hardy sps coral? i have a monti cap doing well in my tank and want to pick up another frag but not a cap to see how it does under my tanks conditions. . . i saw a cool lavendar one listed on fragswapper.com i also will b adding a kalk reactor in the next week or 2. . am going 2 b using slandiss diy. . . well least my step dad is going to be haha. .    i am looking for heardy colorful and a fast grower if possible. . . .

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 23:27:57 »
Bird's Nest is a great, easy SPS that grows like a weed, compared to other SPS.  There is a variety of color options available for great prices.  Monti Digitatas would also do well.  I think the encrusting type (often listeded as Rainbow, Pokestar, Superman, and so on) is probably okay too.  The big question is what your lighting is. 

apelaston

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 00:11:41 »
I am running 4x65 pcs on my 55 gal . i got more lr and scaped a spot like a tower so the frags will b up high in my tank . my orange monti cap is bout midway ish. . . .still bright in color and appears 2 b healthy after bout 4 months. . i was thinking birds nest as well from my researching and also love the look.

Offline verper

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 05:37:49 »
Digitata is easy to keep and will be fine in your tank.  Just watch the coloring on Fragswapper as many of those pictures are taken under actinic lighting to give the coral more vivid coloring.  Coral may look different under daylight bulbs.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 07:56:08 »
apelaston- I have some brown m. digitata frags if you want them. You can have them. I bought them at a frag swap, and they looked purplish/red under the lights the guy had them under. They're not colorful, but if you want something free and easy to start with, they're yours.

apelaston

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 10:21:14 »
Thanks jen if i am coming ur way i will let u know.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 10:24:04 »
Just curious, do club members have name tags or anything to identify at the swap they are Ohio Reef members. I would like to meet some of you to put a face to the name.

slandis3

Re: sps
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 12:14:48 »
Is a montipora digitata a hardy sps coral? i have a monti cap doing well in my tank and want to pick up another frag but not a cap to see how it does under my tanks conditions. . . i saw a cool lavendar one listed on fragswapper.com i also will b adding a kalk reactor in the next week or 2. . am going 2 b using slandiss diy. . . well least my step dad is going to be haha. .    i am looking for heardy colorful and a fast grower if possible. . . .

i will be fragging my purple digitata this weekend. if your interested in a piece let me know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:25:30 by slandis3 »

apelaston

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 12:50:15 »
Where are u located? i am looking for a decent size frag the 1 i saw was a few inches for 5.00. .  i would probly want a 10.00 sized frag. .

quicksilver

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 13:55:28 »
you guys are killing me and I have to leave. Why do I find a place with such great peole only for them to be taken away.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 14:45:48 »
i will be fragging my purple digitata this weekend. if your interested in a piece let me know.

Hey Slandis,

You can put me down for a frag of your Purple Digi... very interested.  LMK
Dayton - 45459

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 15:22:41 »
you guys are killing me and I have to leave. Why do I find a place with such great peole only for them to be taken away.

Don't you know that's how the AF works?  Jebuz!

Offline verper

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 17:09:33 »
Just curious, do club members have name tags or anything to identify at the swap they are Ohio Reef members. I would like to meet some of you to put a face to the name.

I almost always wear a nametag with my screen name and my witness protection name.   :laugh: 

CincyReef's swap is all about their club, so I would assume its frowned apon.  I might try it anyway.

CORA's swap is just the opposite.  They let us have a Ohio Reef sign and post our location on the "where are you" board and promote our club any way we want to at the frag swap.   

slandis3

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 17:21:51 »
Hey Slandis,

You can put me down for a frag of your Purple Digi... very interested.  LMK

will do.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 17:22:32 »
IF ANY MEMBER NEEDS A COOLER TO TAKE OR BRING HOME FRAGS FROM THE SWAPS FEEL FREE TO STOP BY THE SHOP AND PICK A COUPLE UP. THEY ARE FREE TO MEMBERS OF  Ohio Reef.

THANKS, DODD

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 21:56:25 »
I've listed my corals on the both Cincy & CORA FragSwapper webpages.  Still working on the rest.  www.FragSwapper.com

I'm selling Tyree LE Sunset Montipora: 3 SOLD (1 on waiting list) ($30-$50), Tyree LE Rainbow Montipora: 4 SOLD (1 on waiting list) ($25-$50), Tyree AE Armageddon II Palythoas:  4 still available ($60 per polyp  :-[ ), Elkhorn Montipora:  1 available ($10), Plating Montiporas:  1 still available (3 different species:  $5-$10), and Cat's Paw:  15 available ($5).

Those prices are only for the frag swaps.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 23:06:33 by Reef'd Up »

apelaston

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 02:09:06 »
When r u wanting these picked up sunday?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 03:43:23 »
I will be bringing the following to trade/sell
Mixed Green/Orange Zoa's 25$

Large SPS colony - Some sort of Deep Water Green $50.00
Mated Pair of Onyx Clowns 80$
What ever is left of Green Torch Coral 20$ per head
What ever is left of the Hammer Coral 8$ per head

Will we have name tags? Just curious how we would recognize Ohio Reef club members

quicksilver

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:07 »
Wow nice zoos .

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 16:05:02 »
Usually anyone selling will have a sign at their table.  They also usually give out nametags.

Offline gthorpe2

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 23:57:49 »
Well I'm part of this club and cincyreef, I'm not sure if cincyreef will care if poeple wear nametags, but I'm not the president, I'm just a little (tall 6'6) member.  It would be nice to know who everybody is. :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 12:22:13 »
I will be the fat guy wearing a black bandanna.  ;D

Offline larrynews

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:43 »
so we wont get confused, i wont wear a black bandanna, i'll just be the fat guy

quicksilver

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 17:42:55 »
whats a fat guy with out a bandana. beats me.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 21:57:42 »
i'll see everyone there.  I'm bringin 2 coolers full of stuff with half of the stuff I'm bringing already sold on fragswapper. So hopefully everyone shows up that ordered from me or I'll be stuck with a bunch of frags for the columbus one.  See ya all there!!!
Micah
Inspired!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 22:25:56 »
Just curious what you all thought of the frag swap today. I did not have any expectations so it was pretty good. Seemed like decent prices. especially Marine Solutions. So did you all spend to much money? did your trades show up?

I bought quite a few SPS from the guy in the back corner. He seemed to have some really nice stuff. He had Garf Bonsai's which I have been trying to get for the past year. It is nice.

My only worry is I was so excited to put the SPS in the tank I forgot to use Interceptor on the corals to kill any parasites or red bugs. I am a bit worried but the frags do look fine. Should I be worried?

Offline verper

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 22:30:25 »
You should not have any problems with the stuff from the guy in the back if it was YZReef or something like that.  "Redbug eye" Nikki did not see any at the vendors.  Personal trades are a different story.  I always ask, but still quarantine for at least a few weeks on most personal trades/buys.  Some reefers don't know that they have pests or don't care.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 22:34:55 »
Yeup...I wasn't looking too hard for red bugs since I didn't buy any acroporas, but usually they jump out at me.  I didn't see anything. 

I've purchased from YZ Reef before with no problems.  I purchased the Bonsai from him back in spring...and it's doing great.

The swap was rather sparse...and ran a bit long IMO.  It's going to be interesting to go to the Columbus swap...completely different.  All in all, I'm happy.  I got the Sanddollar Montipora that I've been eyeballing for forever.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/

Offline verper

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 22:41:26 »
That swap was better than some years I've gone.

I did good.  All but one trade showed up.  Made a little money and spent it on the way home.  

I also won a raffle prize (no, not one of the grand prizes for all of you that gave me your tickets).  I won 4 -30ml jars of DT's Oyster Eggs.  Not sure what I'll do with that many, but I won!  

And Nikki only got that coral because I didn't buy both frags of it.   :laugh:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2008, 22:44:00 »
Thanks Guys, it was YZreef so I wont sweat it but will keep an eye on them. Nikki, did you get a "Pink" Monti Sand dollar? If so you are lucky you saw it before me  ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2008, 22:45:34 »
Congrats Verper, did any of our Ohio Reef members win the grandprizes?

Offline verper

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2008, 22:48:28 »
Nope, not that lucky.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 23:13:01 »
It must have been my lucky raffle ticket that you won with Scott, just kidding.

I scored a pink cadillac and a superman monti, so I'm happy. Looking forward to finding some different stuff at the swap in a couple of weeks though.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 10:59:56 »
I enjoyed myself and got some pretty nice stuff.  Sold out on all my coral, all my trades showed up, and won a bunch Turtle food as a door prize :laugh: plus some monti coral.  Zeppelin had an acan I really wanted but he was selling the frag for 100 bucks...  decided I would pass on that one.  It was good seeing you again Scott.  I'll see you all in a couple of weeks at Columbus.   -Micah
Inspired!!!

Offline verper

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:49 »
It must have been my lucky raffle ticket that you won with Scott, just kidding.

I scored a pink cadillac and a superman monti, so I'm happy. Looking forward to finding some different stuff at the swap in a couple of weeks though.

It was your ticket Jenn!  Oh wait, it was a blue ticket that won and yours was red.  Sorry, my mistake  ;D

I didn't see any cars for sale at the swap, but if you say you bought a pink cadillac, I believe you.  :laugh:

Offline verper

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2008, 11:06:26 »
I enjoyed myself and got some pretty nice stuff.  Sold out on all my coral, all my trades showed up, and won a bunch Turtle food as a door prize :laugh: plus some monti coral.  Zeppelin had an acan I really wanted but he was selling the frag for 100 bucks...  decided I would pass on that one.  It was good seeing you again Scott.  I'll see you all in a couple of weeks at Columbus.   -Micah

Turtle food?  I didn't even see that.  Good to hear all of your trades showed up.  I've had pretty good luck with that myself so far.  Zep will be at the CORA swap so that $100 Rainbow (or was it the Pineapple) acan is still waiting for you.  ;)   

See you two weekends from now.
S

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2008, 22:01:41 »
I am excited to go to cora's swap.  I have gone to both cincy and cora's swaps in the past and felt that cora's always had alot more of hobbiest there selling and trading.  So far I have a fuzzy green acro and I was lucky enough to get an ora red planet promised to me through frag trader.
Jeff

quicksilver

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 07:32:12 »
 :needpics    I want to see some pictures of these things.

Midwest Express

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2008, 09:58:13 »
I'm not able to go to CORA now.  :(  Forgot I had stuff goin on for my old job this Sat.  If it rains though... I will be goin.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:06 »
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to CORA's or not.  We have tickets to the Wisc/MSU football game on the same day, but we only have two and aren't sure which two people are going up there. 

apelaston

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:08 »
I am definately going to the cora swap w a small cooler of frags yet to b determined. any one wamt to meet and ride just tell me.

quicksilver

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 12:10:38 »
is this thing over?? Or has it not started. I must have my days wrong.

Midwest Express

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 12:23:26 »
Cincy was last Sat, and CORA is this Sat

slandis3

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2008, 12:47:12 »
Cincy was last Sat, and CORA is this Sat

the swap is next saturday. nov 1st

Midwest Express

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2008, 13:09:08 »
it is?  I thought it was this Sat.  Well heck... I am def going to it then.  I am in Springfield and if anyone could pick me up on the way by, that would be great!  I will chip in on gas!

quicksilver

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 13:16:21 »
I 2nd that gas money but no room for Midwest express just for my new corals.

Midwest Express

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2008, 13:26:11 »
Wait!  Don't kick me out of the car just to fit your corals in there!  Put them on your lap!  MAN! HAHA ;D

apelaston

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2008, 14:29:22 »
Cora is on the first.

Midwest Express

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2008, 14:31:44 »
Cora is on the first.

Oh yeah!  I'm def in then!

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2008, 09:50:06 »
midwest, we can meet up there then!!! ;D
Inspired!!!

Midwest Express

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2008, 09:57:55 »

Sounds good to me.  I will bring my cooler!

Speaking of which... if anyone wants any foam coolers, big or small... let me know... I get them for free a lot of times and have them just laying around the house.  So let me know if anyone wants me to bring them.

and yes... they are free to whomever would like 1 or 4.  ;D

quicksilver

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2008, 12:32:18 »
midwest my new corals get there own seat besides I might buy 2 much to stick on my lap. But seriouly some come get my @ss so i can go with u guys. Looking for a pink lemonade acro

quicksilver

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2008, 12:33:38 »
and a Tubs' Starbright Lokani

Midwest Express

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2008, 13:00:10 »
Hey... is anyone that is passing through Springfield have any extra room in their car?  If so can I get a ride please?

Also, what time is the swap kicking off?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 13:30:05 by Midwest Express »

slandis3

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2008, 19:57:22 »
So how was the swap?

Offline verper

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2008, 20:12:48 »
It was actually pretty good.  Not as bad as I had expected with the small venue and expected large crowd.  It was very busy from 12-1:30, busy from 1:30-2:30, and then the crowd started to thin out.  Without a raffle, you didn't have to hang around.  We even left around 3.  All of my prearranged trades showed up, and I sold all but 3 unreserved coral.  Saw a number of Ohio Reef members there.  So for me, it was a very good swap.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 21:12:07 »
Well...I think very busy was an understatement.  I didn't get to breathe most of the time (enjoying an adult beverage right now...relaxing.) 

It wasn't as bad as I expected, but since the tables were circular, people could attack you with questions from every side.  I sold a lot, but I still have a lot left (I took about 80 corals.) 

I picked up some VERY nice pieces...really excited.  I also picked up a few not-so-nice rescue pieces. 

Everything has been dipped in Lugol's, treated with Flatworm Exit, acclimated, and is in the quarantine now.  I'll post pictures later after they've stopped sliming as much.

apelaston

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 21:28:55 »
It was my first time and i enjoyed it. i sold everything i had listed and then got 5 nice peices of sps a few acans and a few zoos. . everything that are already showing promise in my tank.thanks to reefd up and verper for their frags. . .

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2008, 21:49:59 »
I am glad that I reserved most of my corals ahead of time.  If you didnt have it reserved no one seemed to take alot of stuff that wasnt presold.  I was wanting to look at several pieces that were on fragswapper in person before buying but most didnt bring it if you didnt reserve it.  I was alittle dissapointed in that aspect.  It was crowded and kindof hard to find people but went well.  I think that when they had the larger format people brought more corals.  I did pickup some nice pieces and it was worth the drive over to columbus.  My biggest disapointment was that my red planet frag was a no show!!!!!!  Thanks to cora for a nice event.
Jeff

Offline verper

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2008, 22:01:06 »
I think you are right on that Jeff.  I think many did not bring coral to sell because there was no free table space and they didn't want to walk around trying to sell coral out of a cooler.  I know that the extra coral frags I brought were snapped up way faster than the pre-arranged stuff.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 22:38:38 »
I sold all my "extras" fairly fast, but had about 3 that didn't sell. Ended up trading what I had left for some frag plugs from chief reef propagation. I was more than happy to trade for that.  It was a bit hairy at first and I didn't think the head table that had name tags was well placed either.  too many people without them.  But I did enjoy myself and am hoping and praying a torn up rainbow acan makes it.  ;D
Inspired!!!

slandis3

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 22:48:22 »

I'll post pictures later after they've stopped sliming as much.

:needpics

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2008, 23:18:21 »
What seemed to be my biggest problem was by the time I got done trying to find the people that I had sold too and the ones that I had commited to buy anything else that was rare or unique had been snatched up.  My next problem was getting all of Bin's stuff in my trunk when we left ::)
Jeff

apelaston

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2008, 23:40:14 »
Hey jjoos i love the pocillopora i didnt realize u were from the club or i would have introduced myself. . . it is colored up pink real nice and polyps are out.. . .i did think that is was mainly presales today versus trading and i am guilty of not bringing what wasnt reserved an then getting approached to see the item. . . i will pack everything next time for sure and make my purchases first then worry bout the reserves tho to get some of the bigger n rarer pieces. .

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2008, 23:53:38 »
My winnings for the day:

Acropora Equisita:

ORA Tort

Acropora something (Will picked this one out.)   ::)

Montipora

Chalice (from Verper)

Rescue Coral #1 from Phishy Business

Rescue Coral #2 from Phishy Business

Rescue Coral #3 from Phishy Business

Orange Rhodactis

Green and Red Micromussa

Giant Baby Brittle Starfish
7 of these beasts came on one of my corals.  These aren't the little baby ones I have in my sump!!! 

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 23:55:42 by Reef'd Up »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 00:19:48 »
I enjoyed the swap and had good company on the ride out. Here are a few things I picked up.

Pink Cap. It is very very pink. Almost looks not natural. Could not get a full pic with the bushy looking thing in the way.

Idaho Grape

Chalice from Scott

Blue Monti

Green and Blue Ricordeia

Purple Cap w/blue polyps, Tri Color Acro

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 00:49:16 »
I have to admit that I like the old way much better. Vendors had nice setups and traders could set up nicer displays or layout on bigger tables. I understand the change from the club's leadership, but for someone that did not arrange any presales as a buyer there wasn't much to get.  I arranged two presales as a seller and wasn't able to find one of them since it was so busy.  But I did go to Phishy's afterwards and bought some nice stuff. He was running 20% off so that was nice.

Joe

slandis3

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2008, 09:10:03 »
Thanks for letting me see what I missed out on :'(   Did anyone go to Reef Systems, I know they were having a 25% off sale.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2008, 10:14:46 »
Scott, Jenn, Will, and I all went to Phishy Business and Reef Systems afterward.  Phishy's was awesome as always (minus that they aren't carrying much SPS anymore.) 

Reef Systems...well...I think their lace rock was about all that was nice.  Everything I wanted wasn't for sale...don't understand that one.  They only had a few clams in.  Wasn't impressed.  Most of the raceways were just full of brown corals.  One of the employees (possibly the owner...he acted like it), was very rude to me.  I saw a beautiful clam (also not for sale) and stated how I just had my ugly plain purple clam and wanted a nicer one.  He told me that if I would put better lighting on my tank, my clam would look better.  WHAT?!  He never asked me what my tank was like.  I have 560W on a 40g tank.  I don't really think I could put better lighting on my tank. 

Additionally, the same guy was talking about how flatworms and hydroids were ok to have in your tank (I definitely saw hydroids everywhere in their tanks...couldn't see well enough to see brown flatworms on brown corals.)  I left there with a VERY bitter taste in my mouth.  It makes me very happy to have the sponsors that we do.  Sorry for my rant.

Offline verper

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2008, 12:15:07 »
Thanks for letting me see what I missed out on :'(   Did anyone go to Reef Systems, I know they were having a 25% off sale.

Reef Systems was what I expected.  I've read other posts where the nice looking coral are never for sale and it was the same yesterday.  I don't think I've ever seen so much brown coral in one place.  I've also read where someone took a chance on some of the brown coral and they turned out beautiful.  I'm just not up for that right now.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2008, 12:24:31 »
Will said that the coral he bought was from Reef Systems at the frag swap.  It's brown with turquoise tips, so we'll see how that turns out.

I will say, I broke the coral off the frag plug...and dipped it.  I didn't see anything come off of it or any of the other corals I got (except for the million brittle starfish on my Monti.) 

slandis3

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2008, 12:33:21 »
Yea when we go there just about everything my wife wants is not for sale. These are his mother colonies. I will try to dig up a pic of a grey monti we bought there that is now green with a purple rim. Are mills and digitata have came from there as well. We always dip them and the most  have seen come off is a few bristle worms and some of those little star fish. We look at everything with a magnifying glass to make sure its ok before we put it into the tank.

Offline verper

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2008, 12:38:11 »
If the green with purple rim monti is the same as the one he wouldn't sell, it is beautiful.  Let me know if you frag it.

apelaston

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2008, 12:39:37 »
I also dipped my corals and did not even get a lil starfish off of em. . . i was happy w that for sure!

slandis3

« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2008, 12:44:25 »
If the green with purple rim monti is the same as the one he wouldn't sell, it is beautiful.  Let me know if you frag it.

The one i have was supposed to be a  frag off the one he wouldnt sell. He had some problems with it and it turnd grey. Once it colors up completly i will let you know as well as post a pic of it. Im not 100% sure if it was really off the same colony or not

slandis3

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2008, 12:52:23 »
ok here is a pic right after we got it. Im going to go try to get a good pic of it now in a minute
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:25:12 by slandis3 »

slandis3

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2008, 13:13:41 »
ok the pic is a little blurry but you can see the color is starting to come back in it. You can also see the pink with blue polyps cats paw we got from there as well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:24:48 by slandis3 »

Offline verper

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2008, 13:44:47 »
It could be.  LMK

apelaston

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 14:18:51 »
your new frags look great in your tank. For being new with SPS you have some really great pieces to start with! Great mix of colors!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 19:37:58 »
Here are a few pics of what I picked up yesterday.  I always leave mine at the bottem of my tank for a couple of days to let them get use to my lighting.  Everything seems to be doing good.  Good polyp extension on everything but my milli which even on my established ones dont seem to be as hairy as other people's.  The hairy green acro is insanely hairy with polyps!!!
Jeff

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2008, 20:23:17 »
Aha, I can see  what I'm typing if I do it from my iPhone. This was only my third swap, but I had a good time. I was with good company for the ride, so that probably had something to do with it. I got a couple of tri-color acro frags, a purple m. digitata, a sunset montipora (from Nikki), and the same little turqoise acro as Will and Nikki. Everything is in my qt tank right now after a dip in spectra d (spelling?) and a dip in FWE. My qt tank is not very pretty, so I'll post some pics later. I didn't find any pests on mine, just a few pods and an unknown snail which I'm pretty sure was a stomatella.