2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Assembling a RDSB  (Read 3915 times)

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
Assembling a RDSB
« on: February 04, 2010, 14:42:25 »
Fishing for tips on creating a RDSB in a bucket.

First question, would it be possible/ideal to plumb the bucket straight into the filtration system, i.e.

Tank > Filter Intake > Hose > RDSB > Filter > Return Hose > Tank

It's a canister filter (which is a compromise choice due to WHERE and WHO I'm living with plus available space and is working just FINE thank you!) and is currently running at 180gph. I know that detritus settling in the RDSB can be a concern, but have also heard that with the shallow water level combined with high enough flow, detritus has difficulty settling.
This may not be a problem/question when I upgrade both tank and location within the house, but for now space is just too much of an issue.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Assembling a RDSB
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 15:20:03 »
How deep of a bed are you thinking ?
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 15:43:47 »
Going the bucket route. Either five or six (if I can find one) gallons. Figure I'll go about 4/5 of the way up with sand (give or take a bit) and leave the rest on top for water flow.

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 16:12:21 »
If your filter sits on the ground and uses a siphon method i dont think it will work you will need a overflow box in your tank. That will drain into your RDSB then your filter will pull water from the RDSB. Then the siphon into your filter will be off since it is not 2ish feet below your tank and i am not sure if that will effect how well it works/pump water back into the tank. plus how fast can water flow threw a RDSB and still be effective
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 16:26:00 »
I'm ASSUMING that if the bucket is sealed well enough the siphoning should still work, given that: tank is taller then bucket is taller then filter AND filter is sealed as well and has built in pump. The few pictures or diagrams I've seen of this setup make me THINK it's pretty possible.

But I'm not sure, which is of course why I'm here  ;D

plus how fast can water flow threw a RDSB and still be effective

Of the few step by step examples I've been able to look up, everyone has kept a reasonably high flow rate through over the bed. Anthony Calfo's article on DSBs seems to suggest high flow is ideal to ensure that detritus remains suspended and doesn't sink into the bed where it will simply collect and rot.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 17:59:19 »
So you are wanting to totally seal the bucket and run it inline with a fluval ???
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 18:05:53 »
That was my thought. Here's a link with instructions that I'm going to base this off of. Ironically, someone in this thread asks my exact same question.

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=305309

I think what I may try instead is an external pump plumbed on a return. Probably best to keep filters separate and the RDSB easily detachable from the main system. Also, I can play with pumps/powerheads/flow without having to mess with flow through the filter. This is still assuming that a sealed bucket will provide the necessary pressure to keep a siphon going though, so if anyone has experience that proves this to be a comical disaster in the making please tip me off.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 18:28:34 »
Do you have a sump on your tank or just a fluval? Looks like that thread he was just pumping up from his sump into the bucket and gravity back down.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 18:43:14 »
Wendingo,

Are you looking to turn a 5 gallon bucket into a large canister filter more or less?

How large is your tank? could you simply add a tall narrow tupperware container filled with sand to your tank to help bring nitrates down, then remove it? If I remember right, a 5 gallon bucket works for a very large tank, on the order of 2-300 gallons.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 18:58:02 »
jd, I can't take you seriously with that pick... :)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 19:27:57 »
jd, I can't take you seriously with that pick... :)

Thats Mr. Dr.

;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 19:31:52 »
Cyberwollf: Just a canister right now. The though of another open tank with water draining down into it gave my mother fits, and that was the end of the discussion. I'm basing everything but the actual physical input/output flow on those plans at the moment. Those are still very much up in the air  :(
That issue might become moot if I'm allowed to put in the 40 breeder I've ordered (no guarantees it'll be allowed in the house) because I'm angling for it to go into the utility room where there is a tile floor and a drain. That might open the sump discussion again.

Mr. Doctor Skimmer (I'm with Ghurlag btw, that picture is awesomely ridiculous): Really I'm just looking for a lower cost project for my tank so I have something to do other then basic maintenance in my lingering poverty. It's a bit of a long term thing as well since I know I'm going to have at least my 92g up and running again at some point and hopefully an even larger tank in the future.
I hadn't thought about an in-tank setup, though the current tank is only 30g so space might get a little awkward unless I could find a clever container. If I DO get to upgrade to the 40 breeder I feel that's probably the same situation.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 19:40:12 by xXTheWendigoXx »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 19:39:58 »
I would say doing what your are trying to do is certainly at least as dangerous if not more than adding a sump (dangerous as in water spillage)

I trust uniseals and the seal on the instant ocean bucket but....

If you are going to do it i would vote  Tank > Filter Intake > Hose  > Filter > Return Hose > RDSB > Tank... But then the bucket is under positive pressure instead of negative pressure.... Hmmm

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 19:42:34 »
I think at this rate my best bet is to just find a less risky project until I get a job and my own space so I'm free to use my discretion on whatever setup I'd like. Doesn't do anything for my cabin fever though...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 19:54:45 »
I think at this rate my best bet is to just find a less risky project...

Agreed.

A sump can be made spill proof(save for tank breakable) a inverted auto topoff in your DT that shuts your return pump off stops any accidents from happening by turning off your return pump if the water in your DT raises due to drain clogging or siphon break. Or you can do as I do and size your return chamber to the amount of space you have above your waterline so if something with the drain happens the pump runs dry before it overflows the tank.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 20:15:47 »
Hmmm... an auto top-off is another project I intended to tackle in the future, and I seem to recall I researched parts for that and they were pretty affordable as well. At the very least, it couldn't hurt my arguments towards having a sump in in the utility room (it's just not happening on the carpet no matter what I do/say/fix/install).
Right, this project is on hold for the immediate future, but I thank everyone for the input!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 20:43:14 »
A sump can be made spill proof

Wheres the fun in that?

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 21:40:27 »
We all know the real reason we're in this hobby is to engage in combat against problems that could destroy amazingly beautiful, rare, and EXPENSIVE creatures... Or our homes.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 22:17:22 »
or aprtments lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 22:25:01 »
spill proof sumps are for sissies.  Heck, I use a paint tray

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 08:17:09 »
spill proof sumps are for sissies.  Heck, I use a paint tray

hahaha ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 17:23:53 »
shh don't tell him but there is no such thing as spill proof.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 17:31:02 »
shh don't tell him but there is no such thing as spill proof.
:laugh: Thats right ! All we can hope for is spill Resistant
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >