2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chalice LPS corals,,,  (Read 3311 times)

apelaston

Chalice LPS corals,,,
« on: June 12, 2008, 23:44:01 »
i have come across several chalice corals with awesome colors..i don't want a million zoos in my tank that cost a ton per polyp, but i need some more color...right now i have green, small big of red, and well pretty much thas that lol...a have a small frag of yellow\purple zoos, but not very bright yet, but they are coming around..

are these doable under PC lighting ? I read that i should be ok and does someone have any they want to frag? How do I care for it, trim it, whatever. I need the down low.

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Chalice LPS corals,,,
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 00:04:02 »
I kept a couple when I had PC's.  I had 4x65W PC's on a 40g long tank.  I had a green/purple one and a red one (still have the red one...sold the other one.)  Unfortunately, they don't grow incredibly fast, and seem to be demanding a fairly high price still.  At the frag swaps, the chalices flew fast. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:20:08 »
By "chalice" are you referring to a Echinophora specie?

Offline Jon in SW Ohio

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 13:14:18 »
I have to shade them well under metal halides, so I'm guessing they'd do great under PCs like most LPS.

Most grow fairly slow, and it seems like all the ones I like cost a pretty penny for a small frag...and that's when you can find a frag for sale. Any of the more common morphs are usually very reasonable though.

I feed mine almost daily and I attribute it to better coloration and faster growth....though I have nothing to compare it too. Fragging is as easy as cutting a piece in half, just make sure each piece has a mouth.

The only caution I have is don't put other corals too close to them!!! You won't believe how long the sweeper tentacles are at night!

apelaston

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 14:56:46 »
By "chalice" are you referring to a Echinophora specie?

yes.

and thanks for the replies.

i found some blue ones on frag.org

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:23:48 »
What wattage over what size aquarium with what lamps and how old are the lamps. Although I agree that most, if not all Faviidae survive & thrive under Power Compact flourscent lighting, this is just one of several parameters when considering this, or any coral. Echinophora naturally occur in moderate to bright light conditions with strong water movement - current. Both of these conditions are very do-able for most aquariums but are these conditions appropriate for the other corals your already have or may want in the future? I saw you mentioned that you have zoanthiads and I think you have a blastomussa and tubestria, which do not want strong light or current but some thoughtful re arranging could remedy that concern (ie putting them lower and out of the stronger light & current for example) Another consideration would be the water quality parameters, What are they are how are they being maintained at that value? LPS, though many are fairly easy to maintain, there are parameters that must be achieved and maintained for long term success and growth. I'm going to assume that the basics are correct (ph ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) What about phosphate? This is a LPS coral, what are your CA & ALK levels, & how are you testing & maintaining them? What will you be feeding this coral?