2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: pulsating xenia  (Read 2998 times)

NKP-759

pulsating xenia
« on: December 31, 2008, 15:44:10 »
I have a xenia that I got from gerbers about 2&1/2 wks ago that is getting smaller also so are the yellow stars? (see pics) but the large leather on the shell is doing fine lighting is the dual satellite (200 watts) on timmer 6am-10pm the protein skimmer is built into sump with a extra airstone in bottom of trickle filter, ph is about 8.2 I plan on buying a reef test kit on friday I do 5gal wter changes on sat have been using instant ocean but am going to red sea coral starting this sat    (ok have tried to post 4 times with pics will try this1 without)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: pulsating xenia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 15:54:56 »
What is your temperature getting up to? Xenia's start to die at temperatures above 82F.

NKP-759

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 15:56:29 »
temp is at 80

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 15:59:59 »
xenia also likes to act funny sometimes in new tanks

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 16:35:55 »
Is that the high range or low range?
It is critical that you are able to maintain the system temperature below eighty-two degrees Fahrenheit. In the wild large colonies of Xenia breakup and fall apart when the water temperature rises at the end of summer. We have been told by several divers, who live in the South Pacific, that if the Xenia continued to grow at the rate they grow in the summer there would soon be nothing left on the reef but Xenia. Several times we been told that just when it seem like the Xenia would take over everything the colonies crashed and it was hard to find any adult Xenia. If you do not want your colonies of Xenia to crash in your reef system it is very important to maintain a lower temperature.
Information Source: http://www.garf.org/xenia.html

Not sure if you are in Huber Heights area but if you are your more then welcome to bring over some water and I can test for you to see if there is something a bit off.

Your light cycle seems a bit long as well. Not sure if that would effect anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 16:39:38 by Lazylivin »

NKP-759

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 16:48:12 »
I am not too far from hueber just did a water change & lowered temp to 77* also have got reefmaster test kit & reef starter kit from kent marine (iodine/strontium/molybdenum & calcium) but have not used them want to see how wtr chg does first 

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:08:18 »
what I had happen in my 180 (previous) was the xenia melted unknown reason (maybe heat as stated above) then they started cropping up everywhere. I wouldn't worry to much if just 1 stalk head makes it out to a decent spot it will be all over anyway