2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello new to saltwater  (Read 3942 times)

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
Hello new to saltwater
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:46:55 »
Hello

I am new to the saltwater world. Had freash water for about 10 years. Well I got the 55 gallon box set, trade the filter in for a fluval 305, protein skimmer, water jet and 24 lbs of LR. well after jumping in i cant seem to stop reading about it. so if anyone has any tips for a first timer let me know? I do have one question, do you have to have fish in the tank for the frist 30 day setup. Thanks

Bobby
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Bigmoo

Re: Hello new to saltwater
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:57:11 »
Welcome Bobby.

In short, No. The live rock should have enough die off to help cycle the tank. Another option to the fish is to put a small piece of shrimp into the tank and let it decay as a kick start to the cycling process. The idea of keeping fish in a cycling tank is a heated debate due to the less than ideal conditions the fish will be living in (thus inhumane). Just my advice, others I am sure will chime in.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:44 »
Or a little urine works as well it actual skips the breakdown process I think

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:58:39 »
 :withstupid but could see the look on the wife's face walking in the room to catch you peein in the tank.
Liverock will do just fine.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:43 »

Welcome aboard

Or a little urine works as well it actual skips the breakdown process I think

I would never try this method, but it sounds like it could work. Then you would be starting with ammonia and not wait the breakdown process. Also, how much would it take to jumpstart? Maybe someone should try this in a smaller tank and see how it works.

Blown76mav

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 00:17:53 »
Welcome,

We could hold next months meeting at your house and all of us pee in the tank. ;D   J/K 

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:24:52 »
how many of us would it take to get 55 gallons of urine?! lol

welcome to the club, i can remember when my tank looked like yours. Only a couple of months ago. Beware, saltwater/corals quickly turns into an addiction. Seriously. lol

but a positive one!
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

cloran

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:30 »
Take your time, make sure of the rock you put in is saltwater safe.  I can't stress taking your time enough.  Rushing 1 week could end up taken 1 month longer.  Research everything, down to the coral, food, salt mix, lighting. I've had to turn down my tank to many times to get the fish out of my tank that the LFS would "be okay" in my tank.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:31:01 »
Fishless cycling a tank is not a bad idea but none of the suggested ways to do that in this thread are a good idea.

Peeing in your tank?! Really?!

I agree that you can cycle your tank with live rock but lets define what exactly cycling a tank really means.

The cycling process is basically allowing the natural bacteria species to populate them selves to a large enough population to process the waste load being produced in the tank. The primary species we are concerned about for this process are nitrosanomis and nitrobacter. These two species feed off of ammonia and nitrite to decrease it's presence in the aquarium. About All we have to do is have organic waste in the water,  give the bacteria a huge place to live and force the aquarium water to it. (a little more to it than that but that's it in a nut shell)

Anyway, to answer the original question, you can cycle your tank with live rock but the tank will only establish itself enough bacteria to process the amount of waste that the live rock releases into the water. To me, this may not be the best way to go because it won't be a constant waste load. (I'll explain more later). Putting a piece of shrimp or any other organic matter into the aquarium to cycle it is also not the best method, again because that waste load is not consistent. The waste produced by Die off on live rock or a piece of dead shrimp decreases daily as it decomposes (shrinks as it rots) so the problem is that as it decreases, so does the need for the size of the bacterial population. There will only be as much bacteria present as the waste load supports. As the load decreases, so will size of the population of the bacteria, Like wise, as the load increases so will the population of the bacteria.

So you start off with a large amount of wastes that slowly decreases. This is not consistent with what fish do to our water. Fish don't add a sudden increase in waste and slowly decrease the waste they put in the water (Live one anyway) They constantly produce a fairly consistent amount of waste and the bacteria we want to manage that waste reproduce to a level to process that waste.

If your going to fishless cycle an aquarium, a daily, fairly consistent waste load needs to be introduced into the  aquarium to mimic what having a fish in the tank will do to it. One method that I have done is taken some raw shrimp & water in a blender and made a slurry out of it. I strained it to get out the bigger chunks and poured the fluid into ice cube trays and froze it. (this kept it from decaying) Daily I put an "shrimp cube" into the tank to mimic a fairly consistent waste load on the the tank daily. The ammonia and nitrite would rise and fall, I'd do a small water change and add a few fish. The existing bacteria from the shrimp cube method don't know the differance from the shrimp or the fish, they just keep processing waste. my fish experienced little to no ammonia or nitrite.

Might want to get a better filter than the fluval. Depending on what your goals are will determine what type and size filter you may need but I am certain that eventually the problems that canisters have will rear it's ugly head.

Welcome to the club......Joel

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 18:18:26 »
Welcome. :)

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 18:19:19 »
Well i could not wait and got some fish and a clean up crew for the cycle. Joel thanks for all the info.
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 19:25:09 »
Clowns are probably one of the hardiest marine fish so you may be okay. Keep us posted on how things are going.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 21:17:41 »
Welcome!

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 22:39:50 »
it has been about almost a month since it has been setup and after the BIIAB deal and getting some rock for a great here is how it is looking now.Full tank shot, lawn mower blenny and hipo tang

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 13:36:55 »
Good start. Looking good.