2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Coral Dipping  (Read 1392 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Coral Dipping
« on: February 17, 2021, 20:14:22 »
After my losses from velvet I am now letting my tank go fallow to rid it of velvet.

I'd read you are safe to add corals, but then someone mentioned there was some concern about corals bringing in velvet/ich. Would it be recommended I dip corals before adding to my tank? If so, what product do I use and how do I do it?

Thanks,

Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: Coral Dipping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 15:07:54 »
I dip everything I put in my tank, but have never heard of dipping a coral for ich or velvet.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:34:28 »
I believe anything wet can bring in possible parasites which is why I gave up and went the Ich management route.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 14:14:18 »
What’s the ich management route? Ich can be managed, velvet wipes out a tank....

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 22:52:24 »
What’s the ich management route? Ich can be managed, velvet wipes out a tank....

I have dealt with both diseases. I wish I had an answer for you. Fallow is a good way to do a complete reset but remember during that fallow that adding corals and clean up crew can reset your timeline if you take it 100% serious. Starting with healthy fish and keeping stress low and adding a properly sized UV sterilizer after fallow is a good long term strategy. Short term...kill it off the best you can.