2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dont buy tunze's  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Dont buy tunze's
« on: October 23, 2006, 20:38:02 »
i just got my maxijets modded up www.mjmods.com and these puppies are crazy. 2,000gph of VERY random flow. not too big or too ugly. im going to have to fill the bottom of my tank with rubble now that the sand is everywhere.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Dont buy tunze's
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 21:08:45 »
Has anyone actually done a quantitative reading on the output? I know they are saying 2000gph+, but I'm curious whether anyone has ever confirmed that.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 21:14:49 »
not that i know of... but it is defenitally atleast1,750gph. we have seio 1,500's at the shop and these maxi's do more. they probabally are actually 2,000

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 21:25:24 »
Yeah, but do they pulse from 30% up to 100%; simulate wave action, swelling currents, or tidal currents  ;) ;D

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 23:03:13 »
the other problem with the maxis, the plastic that runs inside the magnet tends to break.

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 05:56:38 »
how are the maxi mods producing "random" current?

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:00 »
Well you have to let that prop wiggle around on the shaft a little ;)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 15:28:49 »
Well you have to let that prop wiggle around on the shaft a little ;)

bite my tongue......bite my tongue......LOL

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:10:02 »

Mike brought one of these into the shop to display how it worked, It did pretty good. Moved lots of water with out making a narrow stream like your typical power head. I can not speak for it's durabillity but what I wittnessed was pretty decent. It's no tunze replacement for sure but for the cost, it did pretty well. I'm curious to see how well / long it holds up.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 09:12:05 »
u should see the mag 18 mod :)

Offline verper

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 19:50:13 »
Has it been completed?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:15 »
Just curious......why are you advising people to not purchase Tunze products? Did you have a bad experience with the company or a particular product?   Many products and components which Tunze developed in its forty-five year history are now standard features in aquarium technology today. If you are looking for quality and reliability, then I would recommend buying Tunze products.   

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 15:22:55 »
I believe he is saying that the MJ mod moves just as much water at a fraction of the cost. I don't believe he's making any detrimental comments about Tunze products.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 10:10:29 »
the other problem with the maxis, the plastic that runs inside the magnet tends to break.

I have read numerous threads about how much noise and vibration maxijet mods make as well. Illnino, did you experience any noise and/or vibration problems with your mods?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 12:24:16 »
i fixed the noise/vib problems with a sander in 5 seconds.

slandis3

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 16:58:59 »
Hey Mike, try hooking one up to a wave maker and see how long it last.

Offline verper

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 18:31:39 »
i fixed the noise/vib problems with a sander in 5 seconds.

Just a little prop balancing or something else.  I'm doing a mod and want the secrets  ;)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 21:10:18 »
Hey Mike, try hooking one up to a wave maker and see how long it last.

you can give it a try.. im using my maxijet mod as it is intended to be used...

look... i dont know why everyone is "standing up" for tunze... im just stating that for $40, you can have the same flow that a $200 tunze pump can do. i think a tunze wouldnt fare well on a normal wavemaker... same with a mj mod. you can pay $800 for two 2,000gph tunze pumps and a controller or $80 and throw the mj's on a $5 timer so they are off at night (ocean is calm at night).

in my opinion, these work great and beats the hell out of paying 5x the ammount for a pump that does the same thing... move water and lots of it.

verper- yes, the noise that is sometimes heard from a mj mod is due to the imbalance in the prop. i read a thread on RC where they took the impeller assembly out, gave it a little spin and took it to a belt sander for a few seconds to even out what was uneven. worked like a charm for me. and it defenitally seems to be worth $25 to buy it off mjmods.com rather than drive all around looking for the parts... plus the one from mjmods looks good.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 21:11:53 »

I have never heard of this . please post links

slandis3

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 21:30:26 »
how about i just bring a maxi impeller that is broke to the shop so you can see first hand the do break.

bsinger

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 21:31:32 »
I have had problems with Maxijets putting electric in the water. I only use maxijets to make new water now

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 22:48:29 »
all pumps can have the magnets crack... i have seen sedra(the pumps used on euroreef and asm skimmers) pumps with cracked impellers, mag pumps with cracked magnets, maxijets are in my and many other peoples opinion the most durable pump. you can run them dry, you can run them externally, you can run as much sand through them and they still work like a charm.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 21:43:57 »
Illnino---The reason why some people may be "standing up for Tunze" is because you started a thread entitled "Don't buy Tunze's" followed by comments like "a [maxi jet mod] beats the hell out of paying 5x the amount for a pump that does the same thing." Just like a Rolex watch, a replica will perform the same basic functions, but just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. It all comes down to personal preference (emphasis added). You can have a fantastic reef tank irrespective of costs. Some people want all the accessories and technology while others prefer just the basics. The end results can be the same.

I can't speak for others, but the reasons why I purchased Tunze Streams is because the speed as well as the pulsing operation of these pumps can be continuously controlled by electronic means and can be adjusted to simulate ocean currents (as opposed to just continuous high flow). The pumps also come with built in safety features. For instance, when the pump is blocked ( i.e., due to lime or calcium buildup, etc.), a continuous alarm will go off to alert the owner at the same time the pump is switched off to protect the motor. An alarm will go off for run-dry protection as well.  And if the motor is overloaded (either by a foreign body blocking the pump or otherwise), the thermal circuit breaker interrupts the power for a short period of time, and after the motor has cooled down, the pump is switched on again automatically. The output of the pumps can also be controlled during the night with a photo-electric cell device which simulates reduced wave action at night, just like on the reef. And a two year manufacturer's warranty is nice as well.

The bottom line is you can have a great reef aquarium with less or more technology, depending on your personal preferences. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to manage a reef aquarium, except to fully admit that the Mother Nature does it better. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Maxi Jet Mods!!! I am sure your reef is much happier with increased flow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 21:51:41 by aquavista99 »

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 01:56:50 »
Very well said, aquavista!!

slandis3

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 03:31:44 »
Yes well said