2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Neo's 180g tank and build thread  (Read 18458 times)

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Neo's 180g tank and build thread
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 00:48:31 »
thought I would share the new piece I picked up today.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 22:45:39 »
My chalice addiction keep on growing....check out this new piece I pulled in yesterday.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 15:11:40 »
very nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 00:03:33 »
Thanks....I need to try and get a better pic of the pink and black chalice....but I've been busy fitting a new hood to my tank, and now I'm tackling getting my tank params under control.  Gotta get a dosing regiment rigured out and then get my pumps up and going.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 22:37:58 »
Well....I'm still working out doses and schedule for my new dosing regiment......but I'm getting there.

Thought I would share what I picked up tonight.

unnamed yellow/orange chalice

Red Fromia reef safe starfish

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 00:06:43 »
Very nice. I hope you have good luck with that fromia!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 14:42:15 »
Nice finds!
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 14:45:03 »
Andy....did you still want a frag of the Alien Eye I have?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 20:21:08 »
warning....this is not a happy post.

/rant on/

There are days when I really hate this hobby, and today is one of them.  I've been working a lot of long hours this week, being in IT at a University, when the students leave it's balls to the wall to get things done, so I've really only glanced at the tank this week.  So I came home with a few new fish today, 2 firefish for my daughter, and a yoshi goby and his shrimp pal.  As I'm getting things ready for acclimation, I notice some of the corals don't look that great.  No biggie I think, they all have their off days.  I haven't looked higher in the tank at this point.  An hour and half goes by, I'm ready to put fish in.  As I drop the first fish in I see it, my gorgeous teal trumpet coral colony, around 50+ heads, mostly dead.  Blasto looks bad, gold tipped torch looks bad, birdsnest looks bad, prism favia looks bad.  WTF is going on?   So I take a head count on fish, sure enough my Maldives Lyretail Anthias is missing.   Grrrrrr.........    So I'm thinking mini cycle or somthing as I didn't see him dead so he was left in the tank.  Water tests reveal nothing as all are at 0.

Part two of the story.   It seems my blue jaw trigger didn't like my new inhabitants and has finished off both firefish, the goby and I'm assuming his shrimp friend as none can be found.  My wife saw him eat at least one.  Mo***r F****r!!!!!!!!!!!!    As soon as I can catch that fish he's gone. 

So friggin' ticked off right now.  Sry.....needed to vent.

/rant off/

So....water changes galore tonight and through Christmas to try and get things back on track.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 21:18:53 »
What about alk, mag, cal and ph. I know that when my mag levels are low or my alk is outta whack it seems to have a very unhealthy effect on the corals. My nephew had the same experience with a trigger, didn't bother the corals but ate everything else it could get in it's mouth.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 18:19:59 »
Well...things continue to go downhill.  I had the LFS double check all my specs....and they came up with the same results.  water quality besides low ALK seems to be right on.  Things continue to die, I've started relocating coral in hopes of saving the stuff that looks bad.  What's really confusing is that some of it doesn't even look effected.   Zoas, Euphyllia, most of my SPS, and even most of my chalice,  it all looks good.  But the carpet lobo, torch, blasto, favia, all looked bad.  1 chalice and both colonies of trumpet coral, and a fungia are completely dead.

I'm just so lost as to what it could be it's killing me.  I'm going to double check all water params tonight as well as do another 40g water change. I'm doing about 40g daily.   I've checked for voltage multiple times over, added a grounding probe today, I don't even know where else to look.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me hear them.  I'm lost as to where to look next

What a fun Christmas I'm having huh?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 20:35:21 »
That is odd. I would think your sps would be the 1st to go. Your ph good? Anyone spray any air freshener or anything like that near the tank? Anyway anything else could be in your water? Something that may not be detectable with your tests? Any wood fall in the tank?  Just throwing some things out there. You would know before I. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 02:16:01 »
Well....I'm still losing coral even with all the water changes, threw in a poly filter to see what it would catch....no luck.  My blue bayou chalice is now gone, as well as 2 papa smurf chalices, and a unknown red chalice.   Grrr........

I think I may have found the problem, it's the only thing that makes sense, and that a 4 volt leak into the tank.  It's unfortunately tied to my return pump, which I don't have a spare and can't find just anywhere.  With my remote sump, I'm running a Reeflo barracuda, and the moment I unplug it, my voltage in the tank goes from v volts to milivolts.  Is 4 volts enough to cause massive coral die off likk I'm seeing?  If the answer is yes, then I'm hunting for an new pump, which I'm sure no one local carries, and them I'm a week out on getting one.3

If the answer is no, then I'm about to sell it all as I can't make heads or tails of the problem at this point.  It's so damn frustrating on watching it all die, and then those whom you thought you could trust banking corals put them in a dumb spot only to get them stung and die.

Very frustrating..............

Thoughts?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 06:15:06 »
I'm not sure of the answer. But I have a dart you could use until you can get a replacement pump, if needed. To me 4 volts continuos thru out the tank seems like a lot.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 13:32:45 »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I must admit I have had several this is it moments in this hobby. If you find the problem and decide to stay in the hobby if there is anything I have that you want to replace let me know, I'll help you out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 14:02:07 »
4 volts is not much and wouldn't cause these issues. Put in a grounding probe to take care of the problem.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 14:50:17 »
I put in a grounding problem, 4 volts still remained, yes house is grounded, but have not had the house ground tested yet.    Thanks for the offer twisted, I was able to locate a temp pump closer, thanks to aquaculture underground, as I didn't really want to drive down to you with this weather coming in.  I guess I'll keep up with water changes, and see how the tank does now.  I do think something is wrong with the barracuda, as it wasn't pumping near as much water as this little danner hy-drive.  I'll tear the reeflo apart soon.

On a side note, I was able to relocate some of the corals, however most of what was already showing signs of stress damage has died, and the rest of my really nice stuff got relocated today.

Scott

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 15:49:32 »
Well good luck sounds like you have a mess on your hands

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 18:06:39 »
That sir....I do.  Fingers crossed that this shapes things up....but who knows anymore.  It's weeks like the last one when I really hate this hobby.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 21:57:43 »
I hope you find the problem, many of us have had the mysterious coral losses like you are having now. It sucks to not know what to do to correct the problem. I feel the pain.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 00:50:22 »
Well....this evening looked a bit better.   My Aussie Gold Tip Torch is pretty telling when something is wrong in the tank, and it was looking a little better tonight.  Fingers crossed I don't find any more death in the morning.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 21:18:23 »
I'm happy to report that the tank is now voltage free, and everything is looking better.  I've not had one death after replacing my Reeflo Barracuda with a temp pump.  It was definitely leaking 4 volts in the system.  I'm just glad this ordeal is over and I can start replacing the coral I've lost.

Now....if anyone has a Papa Smurf Chalice available I would be interested.  And I can't remember who bought my Blue Bayou frag, but once it gets large enough I would like to get a piece of it back as well.  I lost much more than that, but that is where I'm going to start.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 21:23:22 »
Hey Scott, I have a small piece of the Papa Smurf, I got mine from rayviv, pretty sure he has some frags and he is alot closer to you.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 23:51:46 »
That is good you got the problem fixed. It sucks when things die. If you get down this way I could donate a few frags to get you going again.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2013, 00:29:16 »
Lazy, thanks for the offer, but I'll pass  My tank was packed, and I mean packed with coral.  I lost maybe about a 1/3rd of it, and there is still a lot left in my frag tank as well.  There are just a few select pieces I lost that I would like to get back.  Luckily all my high end chalices made it except the two I listed above.  I've got most out in a local reefers tank until i get the new pump in as I'm afraid the tank may cycle after the electrocution.  In a week or two when I know for sure what's going to happen I'll being them all back in.

Scott