2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reflector Question/Opinions  (Read 5109 times)

bigfalcon36

Reflector Question/Opinions
« on: July 16, 2006, 20:51:51 »
I am close to start buying some new equipment for my new set-up.  One of the things that I am going to be leaving behind are the spider reflectors.  I am looking at three different options, I know that these aren't the only possibilities but they fit what I am looking for.  I am looking at the 2 Lumenarc III's , the PFO parallel reflector assembly with 2 mogul sockets, or 2 PFO Horizontal Metal Halide Pendents. 

Does anyone have any experience with any of these...if so what do you think? 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: Reflector Question/Opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 21:27:55 »
i think i had the the PFO parallel reflector assembly with 2 mogul sockets,

got a link or pick to double check?

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 21:55:15 »
I have a Lumenarc III Mini, and can tell you the hype in not without merit.  There is no light leakage anywere- all light goes into the water.  Mike Peletta said they were like getting 9 bulbs above your coral.  Just wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg.  :P   I have to buy another to match the one I have now for the new tank  ::).

bigfalcon36

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 22:34:16 »
why did you get the mini and not the original?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:21:49 »
i had the PFO parallel reflector assembly, except my reflector was homemade....not all fancy bend

i  liked it

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 07:22:57 »
pendants would give you more flexability as to movement and placement of lighting.  if you ever went bigger you could always just add a pendant to cover more area.

limited with a reflector

awright

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 12:18:28 »

He won it the lucky B#%&@!*& at the cincy frag swap last year.
hehehe

Offline verper

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 17:02:34 »

He won it the lucky B#%&@!*& at the cincy frag swap last year.
hehehe
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Good to see you again Andy!

I am running 400watt lights on the frag tank and can raise it up to get broader coverage if needed.  I am still undecided if I want to go with the larger III's.  With the 19.5" width, you have just enough for one vho bulb in the front or 2 T5's (maybe).  The inside of my trim lip measures 22".  I'm leaning toward adding another mini and burning the MHs 8hrs.  Then add a 4 light T5 (2 front, 2 back) for 12hr lighting.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 20:01:23 »
Scott, would you have gone with a Lumenarc if it wasn't free?  If you were in my situation would you pay the money for it?  My concern is the size, that's why I like the pendants...

Offline verper

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 21:11:10 »
Scott, would you have gone with a Lumenarc if it wasn't free?  If you were in my situation would you pay the money for it?  My concern is the size, that's why I like the pendants...

Actually, yes. The one thing I haven't skimped on has been lighting.  I got into frag swaps and want coral growth.  Most everything else has been a compromise based on price.

Everything I had read prior to winning the one reflector said they were the best.  I saw Mike Paletta speak in Columbus and he said the same thing.  Then, there was the reflector study that Sanjay did that proved it.  Great reflector BUT they are expensive.  Your call on if you want the added expense. 

I also looked into the DIY copies they were doing.  The reflective material they use from the skylight tubes is flimsy and so is the reflector once built.  You don't get the true facetted reflection of the real reflectors.  And I couldn't find any highly reflective aluminum that wasn't too expensive to save any money building it myself.

I have mine hanging just like a pendant over the frag tank right now.  I would be concerned about coverage from some of the pendant lights.

Feel free to swing by if your in the area anytime soon.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 22:24:47 »
I would love to see it if I was in the area.  I still am kind of iffy on it, because of the size and size only.  I am going to use my halides as supplementation to an Ice Cap T5 set-up.  I am using T5 as a primary and then going to have my Halides on for 2-4 hours in the middle of the day to provide a "mid day" effect.  I want to put 4 t5's with 2 halides...do you think that would fit in 24" space?

Offline verper

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 17:11:33 »
I would love to see it if I was in the area.  I still am kind of iffy on it, because of the size and size only.  I am going to use my halides as supplementation to an Ice Cap T5 set-up.  I am using T5 as a primary and then going to have my Halides on for 2-4 hours in the middle of the day to provide a "mid day" effect.  I want to put 4 t5's with 2 halides...do you think that would fit in 24" space?

The L3 Mini - That's what I'm going to try.  Just depends on the width of the reflectors used.  Anyone know the size of a T5 reflector- lenght x width?
The L3 - no
Some of the other reflectors you've mentioned above - probably.  I still am concerned about the "spread" on some of those pendants.  If your coral only gets light on one side from the MH, I've heard the other side will turn or stay brown.  Not sure how the T5's will help the opposite side of the coral.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 18:33:07 »
The IceCap SLR reflector are available in 22", 34" and 46" and they are about 3-4" wide.  I have 4 of the 46" ones that I plan on runing in conjunction with either ATI bulbs or Giesseman bulbs...haven't decided yet.

Offline verper

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 19:23:04 »
That's what i thought.  I was hoping the reflectors would be smaller in width.

22" Clear tank opening - 14.5" L3 Mini = 7.5" left over.

Only enough for 2 T5 reflectors with two L3 Minis. One in front and one in the back.

That is how my tank will probably be set up.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 19:50:09 »
I my just end up going with the pendant.  Scott Wilson uses pendants, or halide with VHO/PC combos on his tanks and it seems to do the job well.

Offline verper

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 21:24:58 »
That's cool.  The great thing about this hobby is that there are a hundred different ways to get there.